new game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new game

i occasionally see comments on quote solution pages about almost all the letters of the alphabet having been used--annamariah asked if anyone had ever had one. i haven't noticed, have you?

so here's a new game: create a "quote" using all the letters. (no, i don't have one yet!) maybe admin will include some in the database!

The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog.

Shockingly, this one isn't on the site.

Comment

Originally posted by Lurker View Post
      The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog.

Shockingly, this one isn't on the site.
      true! i remember it well from my typing class.

Comment

Well, that was quick! I was going to suggest extra points for the shorter quotes, but Lurker knocked it out in 35 total letters Still... other examples?

Comment

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of qiviut, it was the age of faux fur, it was the epoch of pawpaw jam, it was the epoch of mint jelly, it was the season of mozzarella, it was the season of cheddar, it was the spring of gingko biloba, it was the winter of sassafras.

Comment

Great quote, Roxanne!

Lurker, that would be "jumped" -- to get in the E and D.

Comment

Pangrams in literature

wvwoman, your challenge got me searching for existing sentences that might be quoted. What fun!! Here's what I found so far.

A sentence that uses all the letters of the alphabet is called a pangram.

Here's a page that lists a whole bunch of them (unfortunately without attributions): http://rinkworks.com/words/pangrams.shtml

In the 2003 novel, Ella Minnow Pea: A Novel in Letters, by Mark Dunn, the protagonist, Ella, must find a pangram shorter than "The quick brown fox," in order to overcome repression of expression on her island. Her search is successful and the story is resolved when she finds: "Pack my box with five dozen liquor jugs."

Comment

Llapp, I always thought it was "jumped" too, until someone pointed out that leaves it without an S. The E is in "over" and the D is in "dog".

Comment

Oh!! I stand corrected. Thanks Lurker.

Comment

Originally posted by wvwoman View Post
                    i occasionally see comments on quote solution pages about almost all the letters of the alphabet having been used--annamariah asked if anyone had ever had one. i haven't noticed, have you?

so here's a new game: create a "quote" using all the letters. (no, i don't have one yet!) maybe admin will include some in the database!
                    I always note when almost all letters are used because I think it is unusual. I didn't realize it had a proper name though!

Comment

Working...
                    X