Record Times

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Record Times

I think the record for fastest completion of a puzzle should only count the first time a user attempts it (if it isn't already set up that way). When I've spent some time going through puzzles I invariably get some that I've already solved and I have a feeling that plays into some of the record completion times on some of the puzzles. If you're doing a puzzle for the second time your time shouldn't count towards the record time.

I guess it's a "luck of the draw" sort of thing. Probably, most of the really fast records, do come after more than one attempt. We all have the chance to better the second third or fourth time around. When it comes to Cryptos, we're not all equal, and it wouldn't be much fun if a lot of things were done to equalize it. Sometimes there are new puzzles, and for slower solvers, like me, this is the time to set records , otherwise, you take pride in getting it in only two or three times the record.

Comment

I don't even want to know the nightmare of programming that. Anyway, fast players would just start a new user ID after a while so they could set records again. With 40,000+ quotes, you have to play a lot to get repeats. And not all of us remember having solved one before, when we made comments on the quote and clearly have. I know for a fact there is one quote out there I'm dying to get again so I can comment; I wasn't logged in the first time. It's been about 5 years.

Comment

Yes, some quotes you get three times in a week, and others, you hope to get again, and they never show up.

I often don't recognize them when I'm solving them, and sometimes not even afterwards, but as Lurker said, there will be my comment from the last time.

Comment

Originally posted by highbrow View Post
          I think the record for fastest completion of a puzzle should only count the first time a user attempts it.
          highbrow, I agree with the responses posted here, but I want to add that I get your point. In a rigorously fair competition, the record should be a measure of how fast people are able to solve the puzzle "cold," without the benefit of recognizing the quote from previous rounds. After all, if you're in competitive mode, you don't get to use the hints function, since that would be an unfair advantage, and you could argue that familiarity from past rounds is just like a hint -- an unfair advantage.

If this site were a real tournament, with legalistic regulations and players tested for brain-enhancing drugs, and like that, then it would make sense to restrict record-making to only the first-time cold solutions. But it's just a game site, and the competition is just for fun -- it's a way for us to indulge our sense of competition without getting serious about it. Most of us are here to compete with ourselves much more than with the other players.

Another way to look at this setup is that part of the competition is to see how fast you can solve a cryptogram using all your skills, including the ability to recognize a puzzle you've seen before. After all, visual memory and pattern recognition are skills that we cultivate here, as is the ability to puzzle out more subtle factors like how the particular author of the quote is most likely to use words.

I hate to wrap up with a cliche, but it really applies here: It is what it is. There is fun to be had here, and getting faster with quote recognition can be part of the challenge and the fun.

But really, I do get it. I just think this is one of those "Let it be" moments.

Lisa

Comment

nice!

very well said, llapp!!

Comment

As far as the record goes, it depends on alot of things.
              I, for one, wouldnt be able to type a quote in 7 seconds even if it was written in front of me. Add to that the switching between letters using mouse or using tab all the way up to it, its just way too hard for me.
              The way I picture record holders is that they see a cryptogram, instanty recognize the whole thing,and type in letters from beginning to the end at a pace as quick as that of a professional typist. Which sounds something fantasy like to me.
              As LLapp said, we're here to compete with ourselves and gain some skill. I'd be content enough if I can one day type in all the letters i intended without messing up the word.

Comment

He hasn't been here for a while, but Pootie, said, in a post here somewhere that,that was the way that Bansai did it. I think that's probably true for a lot of the really fast players.

Comment

youtube videos

bonlocker, have you watched any of the videos posted by some of the folks solving on this site?
                  you'll find some here in this 3-page forum thread:

Comment

Yep

I'm not trying to take this too seriously here... don't think that I posted this because I'm pissed off or anything. I'm just saying, at least some of those records are BS. I'm not calling all of them into question or anything... I set one some time ago and it was pretty cool. Now though it seems like every puzzle has some insane record time that is so fast I don't think I could even have typed in the answer if I knew what it was before the page loaded.

Comment

Most of the quotes don't even use the whole alphabet, and you only have to type each letter once, so most of the quote just fills itself

Comment

The records aren't BS. I posted some videos in another thread that claimed the same thing. It's all about recognizing patterns. Some of them have very recognizable patterns and very few letters used. I solved one in 4 seconds recently and I can guarantee you I wasn't cheating. It helps that I'm a quick typist.

And I get what you're saying about only the first time counting. I can only speak for myself, but I almost never recognize a quote. I know bansai did that a lot, just because he played so much, but for me it's completely different. I recognize patterns like "the" and "that" and go from there. If I took the time to recognize a quote, it's almost guaranteed to not be a record.

Comment

Wow WWoman,thanks for that thread link! It was good to see Admin and Lurker solving ones not instantly recognizable. And Bansequioa was just awesome! That was amazing to see, I wish he was still around.

Comment

we miss him, too, and hope he'll come back!

Comment

Working...
                            X