A Phone-a-Puzzle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Phone-a-Puzzle

Someone posted this on the Logic Puzzles site, and I thought you all would enjoy it. (Credit to geecee.)

See pdf in attached zip file.
    In most cryptos, each letter of the alphabet is replaced with a different letter. This one's a bit different. Instead, each letter is replaced with its corresponding number on the telephone keypad. That is:

2 = A, B, C
    3 = D, E, F
    4 = G, H, I
    5 = J, K, L
    6 = M, N, O
    7 = P, Q, R, S
    8 = T, U, V
    9 = W, X, Y, Z

The upside: there are only 3 or 4 options for each number. The downside: two numbers with the same value are not necessarily the same letter. For example, CAB would be 222.

I was able to solve it, so it's not too difficult. I think you'll like it. Good luck!

Hi Unattributed - If you can paste the puzzle into your comment, that would work better. Opening an unknown file from an unfamiliar source is the internet equivalent of taking candy from strangers. I'd like to see it, but I won't open it. Thanks.

Comment

Understandable. I would have uploaded the pdf itself, but the file size limits wouldn't let me.

Here it is:

9436 663 3667 63 427746377 256737 2668437 67367 288 63836 93 5665 76 5664 28 843 256733 3667 8428 93 36 668 733 843 663 8428 427 2336 673633 367 87.

Comment

Haven't really delved yet. The 2-letter words are the easiest. 93 is we and the last word is up. The palindrome 5665 is probably look, but a double number doesn't necessarily mean they're both vowels. I also found "that" pretty quickly because I'm always looking for it in cryptos. Ooh, and 63 can be either "me" or "of", but 663 is probably "one". I'd be curious if anyone has the fortitude to decode the whole thing.

Comment

So far I've got "When one door of happiness closes".

Comment

…another opens but often we look so...

Comment

Hi I'm geecee

Here's the solution to the puzzle to which unattributed refers'

WHEN ONE DOOR OF HAPPINESS CLOSES, ANOTHER OPENS, BUT OFTEN WE LOOK SO LONG AT THE CLOSED DOOR THAT WE DO NOT SEE THE ONE THAT HAS BEEN OPENED FOR US.

Comment

How fitting that the telephone key-pad cryptogram turned out to be a quote from Helen Keller. The Kellers found Helen's teacher, Annie Sullivan, by way of a referral from Alexander Graham Bell.

Comment

Here is a .zip file of the PDF

Comment

Geecee, thanks but I don't download files from strangers! Nothing personal, just policy.

Comment

Working...
                    X