Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are there any cryptos on this site that use all 26 letters?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are there any cryptos on this site that use all 26 letters?

I'm just curious. I don't think I've come across a puzzle that uses every letter of the alphabet, but I've seen a couple that use all but two. What's the most letters anyone has seen used?

Pangrams

Don't know of any on this site, but there are some out there.

We promptly judged antique ivory buckles for the next prize.
    How razorback jumping frogs can level six piqued gymnasts.
    Sixty zippers were quickly picked from the woven jute bag.
    Crazy Fredrick bought many very exquisite opal jewels.
    Jump by vow of quick, lazy strength in Oxford.
    The quick brown fox jumps over a lazy dog.
    Pack my box with five dozen liquor jugs.
    How quickly daft jumping zebras vex.
    Sphinx of black quartz: judge my vow.
    Quick zephyrs blow, vexing daft Jim.
    Waltz, nymph, for quick jigs vex bud.

Comment

maradnu, I think you answered the question. Not one of your examples is a solvable cryptogram...

Comment

Solvable

Long ago, Bansai posted a crypto of a pangram in a forum or chat post. Realizing it was a pangram, I googled and found a list of pangrams and matched the letter pattern to Bansai's crypto. With that, I was able to "solve" it.

Another time someone had a forum posting. A young man had boasted of his crypto abilities, so a woman had given him something which he was unable to solve. I realized it was a columnar transposition cipher instead of a letter substitution cryptogram, figured out the grid and gave him the solution.

Interesting challenges both times - even if I did cheat on the one.

Comment

thanks, maradnu

i had never heard the word pangram.

Comment

I've wondered that, too . . .

This one came close---all used except J and X. If only he'd added "the jukebox of the pool hall."

"Work is the open sesame of every portal, the great equalizer in the world, the true philosopher's stone which transmutes all the base metal of humanity into gold. "
            — Sir William Osler

Comment

Originally posted by Queethebean View Post
              This one came close---all used except J and X. If only he'd added "the jukebox of the pool hall."

"Work is the open sesame of every portal, the great equalizer in the world, the true philosopher's stone which transmutes all the base metal of humanity into gold. "
              — Sir William Osler
              quee, "the jukebox of the pool hall" really had me laughing!!! (i spent a great deal of time wondering where would be the best place to add it to the sentence!)

Comment

Working...
              X