Inappropriate chat posts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Overtly political comments

They will come up. Politics and the government and the administration are all parts of our lives. To me, as long as it's civil, I don't mind the interchange. When someone throws out a hard right wing comment however, I reserve the right to respond to it.When people engage in name-calling or insults over political positions, that it beyond the pale - for me at least.

We get the same thing with overtly religious comments, with some believers bashing atheism, while some atheists bash religion and believers.

On any open forum, this is bound to happen - unfortunately.

Comment

I agree, maradnu. I'm guilty of bashing the tweeter, but don't bash other players because that's bullying.

Comment

Thank you, Stephen!

Stephen, your work is much appreciated! Thank you for seeing the problem and making that change. It won't completely prevent abuse of the chat box, but it will definitely filter out abusers who feel a need to hide their identity when they use the chat space to provoke alarm or angry confrontation.

Comment

On the other hand, it seems the "CHAT" section should also not be used for private conversations about vacations, grandchildren, hobbies, receipts, gardening, etc. ad infinitum (spelling?)

Comment

Originally posted by BriddlesBob View Post
            On the other hand, it seems the "CHAT" section should also not be used for private conversations about vacations, grandchildren, hobbies, receipts, gardening, etc. ad infinitum (spelling?)
            my heavens, why not?! those aren't private things, they're things we share with each other about our lives--the kinds of things that make people interesting, and the very definition of "chat."

Comment

Why not? because private messages can be left. I found this out myself just a few weeks ago. So why use the one open to ALL of the rest of us for things not of interest to the masses?

Comment

Originally posted by BriddlesBob View Post
                Why not? because private messages can be left. I found this out myself just a few weeks ago. So why use the one open to ALL of the rest of us for things not of interest to the masses?
                when i have a private message for someone, i send them a pm. i do this on a regular basis.

what you're seeing in chat are not private--they are generally friendly messages meant for whomever might be interested ("the masses"?!). if you're not interested in a particular post, you ignore it.

the first time i visited the chatbox several years ago, planning for a virtual party was in full swing--i was like "whaaaaat?!", so i just kept following until i got the hang of it, and ended up offering to bring a bottle of jose cuervo gold! i decided this was a wacky group (my kind of people) and have been following it ever since. (we do still have occasional parties--i think i feel a picnic coming up...)

we sometimes share our personal lives: this group gave me much needed support when my 32-year-old daughter was diagnosed with colon cancer. we consoled each other when we lost a beloved member, pootie, to cancer.

generally, we grouse about problems on the site and ask for advice...but no matter the topic, we keep it friendly and unoffensive, and try to support each other.

Comment

I agree, wvwoman. To me that is what chat is all about - getting a little bit acquainted with others on the site. I personally have no objection to contentious comments about politics or religion, as long as they are reasonably civil and respectful. I find it interesting to learn about other people's views, especially when they are willing to share the reasons behind them. But it does seem cowardly that someone would want to hide behind the name Guest to express their views. Better that we should all have some idea of the person we are chatting with.

Comment

Chat

Jeez - if you don't like the content of the chat, don't read it.

Comment

To answer Marnita, we are not anonymous (like Guest) but we are hiding behind pseudonyms.

Comment

yep!

Originally posted by maradnu View Post
                        Jeez - if you don't like the content of the chat, don't read it.
                        right on, maradnu!

Comment

Roxanne, the players who have logon IDs aren't hiding behind them. Many of us are very candid about our passions, as evidenced in comments to the quotes. Others proudly allow us to know that they are/were teachers; musicians; veterans, etc. And thanks to Mother Nature events, we know geographically where some folks live. I hope we're not making a mountain out of a molehill (see, now you know my age group).

Comment

On rereading what I wrote, I realize that 'hiding' was really the wrong word. I realize now that I sounded somewhat accusatory, and I apologize for that.
                            Let me try a different tack. If a hundred people were to use a placeholder name like 'Guest' they wouldn't be identifiable at all. People who use an ID that's unique on this site, like Roxanne or letfreedomring, accumulate a persona based on their comments. But without our real name, rank, and serial number, everyone else knows only the persona that we want to display on the site.

Comment

good one!

Originally posted by TimmyTee View Post
                              If someone can't figure out what's going on here, perhaps they aren't cut out for it anyway?
                              haha!! this has always been my thought. you would expect to find instructions on any game site, just as there are here--if you can't even find the instructions on this site...(insert timmytee's quote here)!

Comment

Working...
                              X