Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How many logic puzzles are there on the site?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many logic puzzles are there on the site?

Whether counting or not counting the variations in a single puzzle. How many puzzles are there on the site? I'm just wondering how long it would take to complete them all.

I think there was a discussion about this before the forums were deleted and restarted. For the old discussion, I used a screen capture tool to do a survey.

Each puzzle that you solve has a QID. It's an ID for that particular puzzle. Usually, they are grouped by size and difficulty (eg. most of the 4x4 mediums are together), but not always. I think that as new puzzle themes were created, the QIDs for the new themes would be bigger numbers than the older ones.

Going just by the QIDs, I figured out that there was less than 60,000 puzzles. I think the biggest ID that I saw was around 58,000. But, I have no way to know if there are gaps. I saved all the data somewhere, but I'm not going to dig it up unless you are really interested.

I saved all the themes also (stories). I believe there was just fewer than 100 (something like 92 or 95). I may not have seen all the stories though as I was doing this, I have no way to know for sure.

I was surprised how many different themes there were. I would have guessed that there was 40-50 themes. A few were so similar that I probably never realized that they were separate themes. The primary example of this is the two themes about buying spiders at a wildlife show. In one theme, the prices differ by $10 each, and in the other, the prices differ by $15 each. I think that one theme has "country of origin" as a variable, and the other has lot numbers. Until I thought about it, I never realized they were separate themes.

Comment

Working...
    X