Hint Doesn't Make Sense.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hint Doesn't Make Sense.

I got stuck on one of the puzzles, and used a hint that didn't seem to make much sense to me. Here is the clue:

8. Of the specimen from Portugal and the spider that sold for $75, one was won by Isaac and the other was the darkback
    I have 5 possible sale prices of $45, $60, $75, $90, and $105 for 5 different spider specimens, 5 different locations where these spiders came from, and 5 different people who bought them. In a previous clue I had eliminated the possibility that the spider from Portugal was sold for $90, which leads to this hint:

Clue #8: If Portugal does not equal $90, and Isaac and darkback can only be paired with either Portugal or $75, then darkback cannot be equal to $90. Mark the highlighted cell as FALSE. (+120 sec. penalty)
    How can that be the case? I've attached a photo and according to the puzzle there are no errors.
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.

Work it backwards from clue 8. Shorthand:
    darkback = Portugal or $75.
    From other eliminated options, Portugal can only be $45 or $60. Substitute (45 or 60) for Portugal and you get
    Darkback = (45 or 60) or 75.
    The other options must be false. You can do the same for Isaac to eliminate some options on his column, too.

Comment

Originally posted by Six8ten View Post
      Work it backwards from clue 8. Shorthand:
      darkback = Portugal or $75.
      From other eliminated options, Portugal can only be $45 or $60. Substitute (45 or 60) for Portugal and you get
      Darkback = (45 or 60) or 75.
      The other options must be false. You can do the same for Isaac to eliminate some options on his column, too.
      Thanks! Now I get it. So Darkback and Isaac can't be $105 either.

Thank you for the assist!

Comment

Working...
      X