Stumped on Snakes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stumped on Snakes

Hello all! I generally don’t have trouble solving this level of puzzle, but I have a couple that have me stumped. Can someone please help me? Where am I missing the next step?
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 2 photos.
    Last edited by Cherylseptember; 07-20-2021, 07:16 AM.

I am having trouble getting a usable image on my iPad. I cannot figure out how to delete this post and start over from my phone so I am going to try a whole new post. My apologies and any tech help is appreciated!

Comment

Okay, one item I see is that clue #6 gives you Tall Grass one step up from Garage. Because of clue#4, you know Tall Grass is two steps down from Rocks. If Garage is 160, Tall Grass is 170. If Garage is 170, Tall Grass is 180. That means Boxes and Rafter cannot be 170cm.

With that, clue#1 kicks in - if Rafter is not 170cm, it is 5th.

--

More minor items I see from the grid:

1st cannot be rocks, as 1st can only be 170 or 180, while rocks can only be 190 or 200.
      Gaboon Viper cannot be 160 cm, as Gaboon is either Rocks or 3rd and neither Rocks nor 3rd can be 160.

Hopefully that helps get you going.

Comment

Thank you, MicahFFX. I put those values into the grid and added a few more. I guess this puzzle is much harder than the ones I have been doing. I still cannot get to the end, even with your aid.

Comment

You're welcome.

Even if the puzzles are grouped as the same difficulty, I do find some just come together, while others take a lot of hunting and feel like I'm getting only one square at a time and little progress.

This one required a few logic grid patterns, rather than just clues. For example, at one point I might see that two of locations each have only the same two place options, so none of the other locations can have those place options, and mark those.

Comment

That puzzle expired online but I put what I have into a paper grid. Would you look at it and see if you can take the next step? This puzzle is definitely making a fool of me.

Comment

A possible next step involves comparing multiple clues:
              #4 Tall Grass is 20cm shorter than Rocks
              #6 Tall Grass is 10cm longer than Garage
              #2 Green Mamba is 20cm shorter than 3rd
              And you previously figured out that the Green Mamba is hiding in the Garage
              #2+4+6 Green Mamba/Garage (1 step) Tall Grass (1 step) 3rd (1 step) Rocks
              Now, you already know that the snake that was caught 3rd can only be either hiding in Boxes or Tall Grass, and now you know that it can't be Tall Grass, so the 3rd snake must be hiding in Boxes.

From there, you should be able to fill in all the relationships between snakes and hiding spots.

Here's an online version of the puzzle grid, filled in according to your screenshot:
              fixed link

(Left-click to eliminate, right-click to confirm. It'll show grey minus signs where an elimination is possible based purely on the positions that are already filled in; for example, it greys out 160cm for Gaboon Viper because it can only be hiding in Rocks or Tall Grass, and the 160cm snake has been eliminated from those two hiding spots.)
              Last edited by boxeeboxeebox; 07-21-2021, 11:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by boxeeboxeebox View Post
                A possible next step involves comparing multiple clues:
                #4 Tall Grass is 20cm shorter than Rocks
                #6 Tall Grass is 10cm longer than Garage
                #2 Green Mamba is 20cm shorter than 3rd
                And you previously figured out that the Green Mamba is hiding in the Garage
                #2+4+6 Green Mamba/Garage (1 step) Tall Grass (1 step) 3rd (1 step) Rocks
                Now, you already know that the snake that was caught 3rd can only be either hiding in Boxes or Tall Grass, and now you know that it can't be Tall Grass, so the 3rd snake must be hiding in Boxes.

From there, you should be able to fill in all the relationships between snakes and hiding spots.

Here's an online version of the puzzle grid, filled in according to your screenshot:
                fixed link

(Left-click to eliminate, right-click to confirm. It'll show grey minus signs where an elimination is possible based purely on the positions that are already filled in; for example, it greys out 160cm for Gaboon Viper because it can only be hiding in Rocks or Tall Grass, and the 160cm snake has been eliminated from those two hiding spots.)
                I was able to finish it thanks to the next step you gave me. I already had all the pieces in places, but they hadn’t clicked. Thank you so much! Now on to the next stumper.
                And that link was so helpful. I need to use that from now on.

Comment

Working...
                X