#191-Recycling Pickups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• #191-Recycling Pickups

I feel like I must be missing something really obvious, but I’m stuck!
    Attached Files

You should be able to determine which day of the week Holden gets its pickup.

Comment

There's a tricky clue combo in there which can help:

We know that Truck#7 and Truck#18 are Monday and Tuesday (on the grid).

Clue#1 tells us that 3 days after Truck #7 is Midtown.
      Clue#3 tells us that 2 days after Truck#18 is Coconut Grove.

What happens if Truck#7 is Monday and Truck#18 is Tuesday? (Answer: Both Midtown and Coconut Grove would land on Thursday - 3 days after Monday, 2 days after Tuesday.)

Comment

Micah's method works, but I find it hard to find solutions that way, and when you play the puzzles here on the site, that method is never needed.

Boxee seems to do it the same way I would, but his clue isn't very obvious, so I want to explain it a bit better.

In this puzzle, you have 5 entities. If you eliminate 3 of 5 choices, then that is more than half, and you should look for "multiple exclusions". A mutual exclusion is when two choices in two different categories are mutually exclusive in a third category.

For example, in the lowest grid, you have Holden is not truck #10, #14, or #21. That is more than half. The only remaining options are #7 and #18 (columns 1 and 4). So, scan with your eye up columns 1 and 4 to find anything in a different section that blocks both columns.

Scanning up, you can see those 2 columns are blocked in the following rows: Midtown, Edgewater, Coconut Grove, Friday, Thursday, and Wednesday. Out of those 6 rows, Holden only has an 'x' in Coconut Grove and Friday. The other 4 rows should be marked with x's.

Once you've done that, you'll see that there is only one day remaining for the Holden pickup.

Comment

Thank you all! This is super helpful.

Comment

Working...
          X