Possible issue with Volume 3 puzzle #136: Archaeological Sites

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible issue with Volume 3 puzzle #136: Archaeological Sites

I recently made my way through all of the puzzles in the Puzzle Baron: Logic Puzzles: Volume 3 book, but there were two puzzles that I got caught up on, with one of them being #136: Archaeological Sites.

Puzzle #136 deals with BCE (Before the Common Era) years, and it makes two references to something being some number of years after something else.

After struggling with the puzzle for some time (even after I had finished every other puzzle in the book), I finally gave up and looked at the solution. Upon doing so, I realized that the term "after" in relation to years for two of the clues should probably actually be "before".

As an example, clue #1 is: The culture with 9,000 people was founded 250 years after the Tyash culture.

However, after looking at the solution and then verifying the solution by solving the puzzle from scratch by reversing my thinking, you'll see that the Tyash culture is 600 BCE and the 9,000-person culture is 850 BCE. To me, 850 BCE is 250 years before 600 BCE, not 250 after.

Maybe I'm thinking about this incorrectly, but for both clues #1 and #3, I feel like the word "after" should be changed to "before", or there should be some clarification in the intro paragraph about what "after" in the context of BCE years means.

Does anyone else have any thoughts on this? Thanks.

I'm going to try this one tonight. I will let you know how I get on.

Comment

Originally posted by HartleySan View Post
      I recently made my way through all of the puzzles in the Puzzle Baron: Logic Puzzles: Volume 3 book, but there were two puzzles that I got caught up on, with one of them being #136: Archaeological Sites.

Puzzle #136 deals with BCE (Before the Common Era) years, and it makes two references to something being some number of years after something else.

After struggling with the puzzle for some time (even after I had finished every other puzzle in the book), I finally gave up and looked at the solution. Upon doing so, I realized that the term "after" in relation to years for two of the clues should probably actually be "before".

As an example, clue #1 is: The culture with 9,000 people was founded 250 years after the Tyash culture.

However, after looking at the solution and then verifying the solution by solving the puzzle from scratch by reversing my thinking, you'll see that the Tyash culture is 600 BCE and the 9,000-person culture is 850 BCE. To me, 850 BCE is 250 years before 600 BCE, not 250 after.

Maybe I'm thinking about this incorrectly, but for both clues #1 and #3, I feel like the word "after" should be changed to "before", or there should be some clarification in the intro paragraph about what "after" in the context of BCE years means.

Does anyone else have any thoughts on this? Thanks.
      You are right. 850 BCE is DEFINITELY 250 years before 600 BCE, not 250 years after.

So the clues for the puzzle are wrong.

Comment

Thanks a lot for confirming that, Achamian.

Comment

Originally posted by HartleySan View Post
          For both clues #1 and #3, I feel like the word "after" should be changed to "before.
          I have just completed this puzzle again. You are correct in what I quoted from you above. The wording in clues #1 and #3 in the book is definitely wrong.

Comment

Thank you for catching this! I have alerted the publisher this morning and will make sure that this is corrected in all future printings.
            If you enjoy our puzzles, please consider upgrading to a premium account to remove all ads and help support us financially. Thanks for your support!

Comment

Originally posted by admin View Post
              Thank you for catching this! I have alerted the publisher this morning and will make sure that this is corrected in all future printings.
              Hey, no problem. I'm glad I could help. I love your logic puzzles. I am looking forward to Volume 4.

Comment

Thank you for fixing this! This seems to no longer be a problem in my printing!

Comment

Working...
                X