Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New "Smart Hints" Feature

Hi everyone -

We just launched a new "Smart Hints" feature for Numbergrids today (January 23, 2024). It is now displayed as a green button below each game grid. Clicking the "Get Hint" button will do the following:

- First, it will check to see if the board has any errors. If an error is found it will let you know there is a problem on the board (+60 second penalty) but won't tell you what it is. (You can decide to either find the error yourself, or use "Clear Errors" to remove it.)

- If no errors are found, it will then analyze the current state of your Numbergrid game board to figure out what is the next logical step in solving the puzzle, and will indicate the logic behind why that step should be taken. (+60 second penalty)

Due to the computation overhead required for each hint (especially for the larger boards) we have a limit of 10 "smart hints" for each puzzle for regular users, and unlimited smart hints for premium users.

Please give the new hint function a try and let me know if there are any problems. Please feel free to post screenshots here of any issues you might come across, or email them to me at puzzlebaron@gmail.com
    If you enjoy our puzzles, please consider upgrading to a premium account to remove all ads and help support us financially. Thanks for your support!

Thank you so much for this! I discovered it by accident when I did a muscle memory click to the Clear Errors area, only to find a Hint displayed. Hmm, cool. I've played with it a little on a 10x10 to try and clarify some of the above admin info versus what I'm seeing in use. Some feedback follows.

I was under the impression that anytime I click Hint, regardless of if there are errors present or a hint can be given that I would be assessed a +60 penalty. The language in the Hint states that as well: "Errors: No hint can be generated because the current grid state contains one or more errors. (+60 seconds penalty)​". However, I wasn't charged the penalty on puzzle completion if there was an error preventing a Hint square to generate on the puzzle.

For the next puzzle, twice I chose Hint when no errors were present. My Hints:
    A square was marked green, and below the puzzle was the hint: Column #2: This box can be marked as FULL. Every possible placement of the first segment (8) fills this square. (+60 seconds penalty)
    ​​A square was marked red, and below the puzzle was the hint:Column #4: This box can be marked as EMPTY. It can never be filled and still adhere to the given ruleset. (+60 seconds penalty)

I went on to solve the puzzle error free. On completion, I received: Congratulations! You solved this puzzle in 215 seconds (including 120 seconds penalty for 2 incorrect squares removed) , for a score of 6 points!​

For the next puzzle, I took 1 Hint that gave a square, 1 Hint that couldn't fill a square due to an error in the puzzle which I fixed, and then created another error and choose Clear Errors. On puzzle completion I received: Congratulations!​ You solved this puzzle in 238 seconds (including 120 seconds penalty for 2 incorrect squares removed) , for a score of 14 points!

A suggested enhancement would be to tally Hint penalties separately from Error penalties on puzzle completion. This may be there but isn't displaying as Hints when an error is present aren't generating an error.

Thanks again. So happy to see the quarterly subscription in use

​​​

Comment

Thanks gerenuk! I will have to double check the "congratulations" page to make sure the hint tally syncs up properly with the new feature. We are tracking smart hints and errors cleared separately so that should be no problem to differentiate.
      If you enjoy our puzzles, please consider upgrading to a premium account to remove all ads and help support us financially. Thanks for your support!

Comment

The "congratulations" page should be fixed now to properly display hints and errors removed separately. Thanks again!

Comment

That was quick!
          Hints with an error present are getting the penalty assessed now (I probably made a few enemies on that one, LOL) and totals are split - neat!!
          You solved this puzzle in 291 seconds (including 120 seconds penalty for 1 incorrect square removed and 1 hint received), for a score of 15 points!

Comment

Argh on the hints button. Move hints button to the right beyond the clear errors button. There’s no penalty for clear errors when there are no mistakes. Also it’s unclear once a hint is provided how do you stop the flashing box? Quite distracting. Lastly, check the hint provided, last one I tried clearly wasn’t based on the logic uncovered at that time.

more comments …
            when a hint is provided is the user supposed to take some action? I can’t fill the hinted cell in any way. And what’s more if I ask for another hint, I get at times the same hint with another penalty!
            Also, it’s very confusing trying to understand the hint when an earlier hint highlights another cell in the same row or column. Rec you state the row/column and provide the ability to take action on the hints to stop multiple cells flashing.
            Last edited by Free2b; 01-24-2024, 12:29 PM.

Comment

I don't know if the device or browser makes a difference in what people are seeing. I play on my pc in edge. I use the default left/right mouse button settings.

When I left click a box to fill it for the number, the box fills black. When I right click a box to denote it empty, it fills yellow. When a hint instructs me to fill a box for a number, the box flashes green. I left click the green box and it turns black. When a hint instructs me to mark a box as empty, the box flashes red. I left click the red box and it turns yellow. In limited tests I have been unable to get more than one box to flash a hint at a time. If I chose to ignore the hint and fill a different box, the box would remain colored red or green and flashing. Asking for another hint would give the same instruction and an additional penalty. Last puzzle I tested I (justly) got 13 various penalties! LOL

I hope this helps the admin and other players

Comment

Thanks gerenuk, that must be it. I’m on an iPad.
                I’ve been testing the new feature and here’s an example where the logic, in my mind anyway doesn’t hold. Maybe I’m missing some nifty rule.
                image.png

Comment

Hi Free2b -

If you try filling in that red square with black (to mark it as FULL), you'll see that there is no way to complete the rest of that column in such a way that will adhere to the given ruleset for that column (2,1,1,2,2). There won't be enough space to fill in 2,1,1 above it, and there won't be enough space to fill in 1,1,2,2 below it. That is what this hint is telling you.

I'm working on a more in-depth way to visualize more advanced hints like this, where the hint tool will show you all possible permutations that will adhere to the given ruleset for a particular row/column, and then show you any squares that are either always FULL or always EMPTY. In your case, here's what that tool would show:. Notice how the 7th box is always empty in every possible valid combination - that is why it is marked red and can be marked as definitively EMPTY.

numbergrid.png

Comment

Thank you administrator, now I see it! I generally figure out how many blocks would be used if stacked tightly (12) and subtract from 15, in this case 3 and that’s the slack or room for error.. Basically your first row. I gotta think about how to visualize this one going forward. Thanks for visually demonstrating this condition.
                    any time line for fixing the iPad interface for hints. It’s not usable at this point.

Comment

>any time line for fixing the iPad interface for hints. It’s not usable at this point.

I don't have an iPad available to me at the moment - could you post a screenshot of what the problem is, or provide a fuller explanation of why it isn't working? I've tested it on my iPhone and there seem to be no problems there.

Thanks!

Comment

Good morning

When I get a hint, the cell in question is flashing and the row or column logic is highlighted.
                        When I attempt the color the hinted cell, there is no response except that the row or column logic is no longer highlighted.
                        If I move on to solve other areas in the puzzle, the hinted cell keeps flashing and will not not recognize any attempt to color the cell.
                        if by chance I ask for another hint, the new hinted cell is flashing as well as the original cell.

here are snapshots in case that’s helpful.
                        - first attachment shows the puzzle directly following a request for hint
                        - second attachment is directly following an attempt to color the hinted cell. Oops I can’t upload, I get php size limitation even if I try to place in another post. Hopefully my written description works.

let me know if you need any more info. I simply love this game, I’m totally addicted to it, actually! So I really appreciate all you do to improve and maintain this game!
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by Free2b; 01-25-2024, 09:45 AM.

Comment

Ah, I think I've fixed that issue - please try again on your iPad and let me know. (Make sure to start a new game to force the new code to load.)

Comment

Works like a charm! Thank you much

Comment

Working...
                            X