No announcement yet.

Surprising words not accepted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Elm is accepted, as a word for a tree...alm is not accepted because you are not allowed to be so cheap as to only give (an) alm for the poor, it has to be alms. There is no singular, only a plural. There is almsgiving, almshouses (homes for the poor). (dont know why, just is).

Comment

RELATEDNESSES/ES accepted and IRRELATED accepted, but not IRRELATEDNESS/ES.

Comment

"It" is the game, the game doesn't accept some words which we, of various countries, languages, professions, vernaculars and proclivities do. Like, for a long time IT would accept HOON, but not HOONS, it might now though...

Comment

I was surprised today when "it" didn't take PREVENTABLENESS. (I was somewhat more surprised when CONTUMELIOUSNESSES was accepted. I'll have to look that up.)

Comment

Cria, the word for a baby llama or alpaca. At just four letters, you can imagine it crops up with regularity and I keep forgetting that there's no point in trying it.
            Last edited by cricketswool; 04-25-2019, 06:11 PM.

Comment

persist, if you type it, it will (may) come...

Comment

Catotelm is not a 'foreign' word, as in it's English. Means the top layer of peat in an active mire; talk to any peatland ecologist and they'll recognise it.

Just had HALINE rejected. Cripes, looking at all the spurious words that are accepted (like made up ones ending in -ness for example), yet perfectly good ones turned down. Pfft.

Comment

Considering all the international food words that get accepted (e.g. SAIMIN and PISTOU), I'm a little surprised that ALIGOT isn't.

(Then again, neither is NATTO, as I found several times in the past.)

Comment

TERMINALISING is used fairly commonly in genetics. No points here.

Comment

SPORK

You can't enjoy a heaping plate of mayo-laden 7 layer salad at a Midwestern summer picnic without one. I've been able to name this essential utensil since I was pre-K. sp45450919_sc7?wid=512&hei=512.jpg

Comment

Should I be surprised that BITCOIN doesn't count? I'm actually not sure.

Comment

It's probably trademarked and usually capitalized, in addition to possibly being newer than the dictionary used in gameplay. It probably wouldn't be valid even if it were in the dictionary.

Comment

EELER (a fisherman who catches eels)
                            SWAI ( a fish from Vietnam)
                            GEAS (a compulsion or prohibition)
                            TIAN (a baked vegetable dish)

Comment

Originally posted by cricketswool View Post
                              Cria, the word for a baby llama or alpaca. At just four letters, you can imagine it crops up with regularity and I keep forgetting that there's no point in trying it.
                              I think cria should be accepted as well. There are enough llama and alpaca breeders outside of Spanish speaking countries who use the word, and you hear it on TV.

Comment

Originally posted by dementedman View Post
                                Catotelm is not a 'foreign' word, as in it's English. Means the top layer of peat in an active mire; talk to any peatland ecologist and they'll recognise it.

Just had HALINE rejected. Cripes, looking at all the spurious words that are accepted (like made up ones ending in -ness for example), yet perfectly good ones turned down. Pfft.
                                Next time I come across a peatland ecologist, I am soooo going to ask about that! seems perfectly reasonable to me.

Comment

Working...
                                X