No announcement yet.

Surprising words not accepted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

??? . . .is not an English word- -it's British??? Geez I thought they spoke English in Britain.

Comment

Originally posted by dannyb View Post
      ??? . . .is not an English word- -it's British??? Geez I thought they spoke English in Britain.
      They invented it, actually. The dictionary might be based on American English... But a lot of the time, both British and American spelling is accepted.

Comment

Originally posted by RussDNails View Post
        Niner is not a word..................
        How is "twoer" more of a word than "niner"?

Comment

I find it more puzzling that "IRREMEDIABLENESS" is accepted while "REMEDIABLENESS" isn't, although both "remediable" and "irremediable" are fine. That happens sometimes with other prefixes as well. Sometimes the plural works when the singular doesn't, and there's no logical explanation.

Comment

Sorry, should have clarified--easings is not an "American English" word but rather exclusively British.

Twoer has nothing to do with numbers--it's a type of marble.

Best,

Russ

Comment

This really surprised me: PREPEND is not accepted. It's in several online dictionaries, usually meaning to add something to the beginning of something else. However, Merriam-Webster defines it as "consider" or "premeditate". And https://www.pcmag.com/encyclopedia/term/prepend says "Although it sounds correct, prepend is not an English word.", and that the correct word is "prefix". But I think that "prefix" is rarely used as a verb, and that "prepend" is more common.

Comment

NINER is a word now

Comment

Theramin is not accepted. Seems eerie to me.

Comment

Apparently it's spelled theremin. (I had to look it up.)

Comment

"Satired" is not accepted. I've seen it used as a verb at least as often as a noun.

Comment

I'm surprised by some words that ARE accepted--NUDER for example. Once one is NUDE, how can one get any NUDER??? I find it quite amusing.

Comment

I'm not sure if this is a surprising omission, but SNAVEL isn't accepted. It's an Aussie word meaning to grab or obtain, as in "Can you snavel me a beer from the fridge?"

Comment

Booter and booters wasn't accepted.

Comment

Originally posted by JJBeanie View Post
                              I'm not sure if this is a surprising omission, but SNAVEL isn't accepted. It's an Aussie word meaning to grab or obtain, as in "Can you snavel me a beer from the fridge?"
                              Apparently Snavel means to steal, snatch or pickpocket. I don't know about getting a beer from the fridge, unless its your dog doing it behind your back.

Love your cute frog avatar, BTW.

Comment

Originally posted by 2cute View Post

Apparently Snavel means to steal, snatch or pickpocket. I don't know about getting a beer from the fridge, unless its your dog doing it behind your back.
                                2cute, my dog wouldn't dare In Australia, to snavel something means to grab or get. It doesn't mean to steal or pickpocket here.

Originally posted by 2cute View Post
                                Love your cute frog avatar, BTW.

Thank you

Comment

Working...
                                X