No announcement yet.

Surprising words not accepted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The omission of NINER (now corrected) was particularly surprising because it's the most commonly heard of those. Not because of its normal meaning, but because it is used when speaking numbers aloud over poor communication channels (radio, telephones before the days of wideband audio) to avoid confusion with FIVE.

Comment

Originally posted by ShirleyMarquez View Post
      The omission of NINER (now corrected) was particularly surprising because it's the most commonly heard of those. Not because of its normal meaning, but because it is used when speaking numbers aloud over poor communication channels (radio, telephones before the days of wideband audio) to avoid confusion with FIVE.
      Oh, that's interesting, and I just thought it was (part of) a football team.

Comment

Originally posted by 2cute View Post

Oh, that's interesting, and I just thought it was (part of) a football team.
        Fun fact: The San Francisco 49rs are named for the 'miner forty niner's', which were in turn so named because during the gold rush they moved en masse to California in 1849.

Comment

Just did a game that didn't accept unmurmur, but took unmurmuring for 20 points. Even posting this, the unmurmur is underlined as misspelled, while the unmurmuring is accepted by the spellchecker. Guess there are technical/usage reasons, but... how do you build on a base that has no legitimacy?

Comment

I recently had a board where "sureness" and "surenesses" were accepted. "Unsure" was also accepted. But "unsureness" and "unsurenesses" were not. And now that I'm typing all this, the spelling checker is objecting only to the "nesses" words and accepts everything else.

Comment

Is it not possible to UNDERFILL. Seems like it would add symmetry to OVERFILL, but I can't say I have ever used the word myself before, but I would like the option. For example, it might be tempting tell my wife that I underfilled her gas tank to artfully explain that I forgot to stop by the gas station.

Comment

Propane tanks are underfilled to allow for expansion. Bags of snacks seem underfilled because of settling. Classrooms were underfilled to allow for social distancing.

Comment

Thanks for the examples. It prompted me to look through lexicus and realize I misremembered the word. I think the word I tried was UNDERFULLNESSES and UNDERFULLNESS, which aren't in lexicus, whereas OVER- variations are.

Comment

Or maybe it was UNDERFULFILLED... I should have posted right after the game, my apologies.

Comment

Anyway, I was suprised by something. And now I feel underfulfilled.

Comment

Originally posted by Naboka View Post
                        how do you build on a base that has no legitimacy?
                        Dear Naboka,

Is that not one of the great questions of any civilization?

Peace,
                        cb

Comment

Originally posted by cosmicsweety View Post

Fun fact: The San Francisco 49rs are named for the 'miner forty niner's', which were in turn so named because during the gold rush they moved en masse to California in 1849.
                          And, in further incoherent ramblings of someone who should have gone to sleep approximately two hours ago, I always remember the Miner 49-ers because of....

Miner copy.jpg

Yup, Scooby Doo. (Shaggy voice: "It's the Miner Forty-Niner!")

And, speaking of Scooby Doo, BoggleOtaku: is there something wrong with Fred's head in your avatar, or is it just late in the evening?

No, I have not been imbibing, not my groove, but I do admit that I have not had any chocolate in 4 days and I am suffering.

Please feel free to return to the actual topic of the post at any time. I am ... off the rails.

train.jpeg
                          Last edited by Guest; 10-05-2021, 10:31 PM.

Comment

Impressed, Currerbell, true Scooby Doo aficionado and observer of minute details!

Indeed, Fred's head is replaced with a cool Fred look alike.

I'm sure there is a fantastic reason but can't remember why.

Comment

I finally remember. It's the Puzzle Baron moonlighting with the gang incognito to help with Wordtwist. Fred is on call for word traps, of course.
                              Last edited by BoggleOtaku; 10-06-2021, 12:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by currerbell View Post

And, in further incoherent ramblings of someone who should have gone to sleep approximately two hours ago, I always remember the Miner 49-ers because of....

Miner copy.jpg

Yup, Scooby Doo. (Shaggy voice: "It's the Miner Forty-Niner!")

And, speaking of Scooby Doo, BoggleOtaku: is there something wrong with Fred's head in your avatar, or is it just late in the evening?

No, I have not been imbibing, not my groove, but I do admit that I have not had any chocolate in 4 days and I am suffering.

Please feel free to return to the actual topic of the post at any time. I am ... off the rails.

train.jpeg
                                I think I saw that show. You know you can still see those shows on the internet. I believe it was this very same show I just watched like last month, how ironic. They were going to a music festival, ran out of gas & ended up @ some haunted house. The Miner Forty-Niner was the owner trying to scare them away. It was something like that. I love how the show is named after the dog. He's so cute and smart.

So you were going through chocolate withdrawal. For a major binge later this month? Its hard to give up something you enjoy. I gave up eating cheese regularly about 4 years ago. @ first it was really hard, though when I ate it again it made me really sick. Ever since, its not so hard. I do still eat it on pizza of which I have every once in a while. It gets easier. Hang in there!

Comment

Working...
                                X