No announcement yet.

Surprising words not accepted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is not chocolate October a thing? Everyone seems to be "giving up" chocolate....I don't get it..

Comment

Originally posted by floppers View Post
      Is not chocolate October a thing? Everyone seems to be "giving up" chocolate....I don't get it..
      There are a rather lot of people who really, really, REALLY like chocolate. I like some chocolate things. I like M&Ms. I like Snickers, especially if chilled. But chocolate ice cream is vile and hot cocoa isn't much better. Hot chocolate topping on a sundae ruins it. So, "giving up chocolate" wouldn't be much of a deal for me. I'm not big on most sweets, anyway. On the other hand, butterscotch is wonderful and caramel is nearly as nice. I prefer either of them to anything chocolate.

When I go out for dinner, I eat the salad last. For me, that's dessert. I don't like to finish the meal with anything sweet. Often enough, I'll skip the cake and pie and ice cream entirely. If only I didn't like potatoes, pasta, and rice so much I wouldn't have a weight problem at all. But right now it's summer and I can eat lots of tomatoes fresh from my garden. I've lost ten pounds in the last ten weeks and haven't had a speck of chocolate, nor any ice cream, nor any cake, nor any pies. I don't miss any of them, either.

So, maybe I could say I've "given up chocolate". For me, it's not hard at all. "Giving up" coffee would be even easier, since I haven't had any of that stuff for more than 50 years. Only giving up cilantro would be easier still, since I find it very easy to avoid stuff that tastes like soapy aluminum foil. With a persistent bitter coppery aftertaste, besides, that lasts for several days. What was it Julia Childs said about cilantro? Ah -- "take that vile stuff away". Yup. She knew what she was talking about.

Comment

I get headaches from sugar. I get headaches from no coffee. I just found out that the reason that Lala (offspring 4) doesn't like jelly snakes, and Killer Pythons, is not because of the snake thing but because of a saliva thing (she got everyone at basketball to get a properly fitted mouthguard to avoid her saliva disgust)...turns out, that her 3rd grade teacher had a party trick, and could tie a knot in a lolly snake with her tongue...one afternoon, maybe as a "treat", she tried to instruct the class on how to do that...LaLa didn't mind the theory, put the practical session (25 kids in the class), grossed her out, and she still isn't over it.

There is a thingy about corriander/cilantro on boredpanda, just so you know you aren't alone. It's spring here, we have grown a very lot of radishes. I don't know why. Or What to Do with them.

Comment

Quarter the radishes and saute them in brown butter and capers.

Comment

LAWER, an obsolete form of LAWYER, is accepted, but LAWERS is not.

Comment

Originally posted by bwt1213 View Post

There are a rather lot of people who really, really, REALLY like chocolate. I like some chocolate things. I like M&Ms. I like Snickers, especially if chilled. But chocolate ice cream is vile and hot cocoa isn't much better. Hot chocolate topping on a sundae ruins it. So, "giving up chocolate" wouldn't be much of a deal for me. I'm not big on most sweets, anyway. On the other hand, butterscotch is wonderful and caramel is nearly as nice. I prefer either of them to anything chocolate.

When I go out for dinner, I eat the salad last. For me, that's dessert. I don't like to finish the meal with anything sweet. Often enough, I'll skip the cake and pie and ice cream entirely. If only I didn't like potatoes, pasta, and rice so much I wouldn't have a weight problem at all. But right now it's summer and I can eat lots of tomatoes fresh from my garden. I've lost ten pounds in the last ten weeks and haven't had a speck of chocolate, nor any ice cream, nor any cake, nor any pies. I don't miss any of them, either.

So, maybe I could say I've "given up chocolate". For me, it's not hard at all. "Giving up" coffee would be even easier, since I haven't had any of that stuff for more than 50 years. Only giving up cilantro would be easier still, since I find it very easy to avoid stuff that tastes like soapy aluminum foil. With a persistent bitter coppery aftertaste, besides, that lasts for several days. What was it Julia Childs said about cilantro? Ah -- "take that vile stuff away". Yup. She knew what she was talking about.
              Yum sounds delish!

That's how Europeans eat a meal with the salad last. Do you put any kind of dressing on it?

Cilantro tastes differently to me. I actually LOVE the herb and it doesn't taste like soap to me @ all. I would describe it as similar to arugula or parsley flavor. I think its refreshing.

Comment

Apoda and vespid weren't accepted.

Comment

gangliness

Comment

Originally posted by 2cute View Post

Yum sounds delish!

That's how Europeans eat a meal with the salad last. Do you put any kind of dressing on it?

Cilantro tastes differently to me. I actually LOVE the herb and it doesn't taste like soap to me @ all. I would describe it as similar to arugula or parsley flavor. I think its refreshing.
                    Apparently, the cilantro thing is genetic. If you have (or lack) a particular gene or set of genes, cilantro tastes awful. No, you can't get used to it. It's just awful and it will always be awful, and the worst thing about it is that the taste persists for days afterward. Then why did I eat it to find out that it lasts for days? To be polite, and because I didn't know the cause was cilantro at the time.

Salad dressing? It varies. Sometimes, I'll just sprinkle a little salt. Sometimes, vinegar and oil. French dressing is good, and so is Italian. When I was younger, I used hot sauce as a salad dressing.

Comment

• Originally posted by bwt1213 View Post

Apparently, the cilantro thing is genetic. If you have (or lack) a particular gene or set of genes, cilantro tastes awful. No, you can't get used to it. It's just awful and it will always be awful, and the worst thing about it is that the taste persists for days afterward. Then why did I eat it to find out that it lasts for days? To be polite, and because I didn't know the cause was cilantro at the time.

Salad dressing? It varies. Sometimes, I'll just sprinkle a little salt. Sometimes, vinegar and oil. French dressing is good, and so is Italian. When I was younger, I used hot sauce as a salad dressing.
                      Well, I hate to spoil your theory, but when I was in my 20's and 30's cilantro made me gag - couldn't get it down at all - even though the seeds, coriander, were fine. Eventually it became an acquired taste, and now I really can't get enough of it. I actually eat a lot of it every day. My husband also used to hate it and now craves it, pretty much the definition of an acquired taste (or a conversion of any kind). I'm sure I've got lots of weird gene stuff going on, but a permanent aversion to cilantro isn't one of them. "There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy." said Hamlet. Most likely applies here as well.

Comment

• Originally posted by mdyak View Post

Well, I hate to spoil your theory, but when I was in my 20's and 30's cilantro made me gag - couldn't get it down at all - even though the seeds, coriander, were fine. Eventually it became an acquired taste, and now I really can't get enough of it. I actually eat a lot of it every day.
                        If it tasted that bad, why did you keep eating it? To become an acquired taste, you had to eat it for a really long time, I'd think. I haven't had it in years, and I'm going to do my level best to avoid it permanently. The studies I've read say that it's genetic and about 6% - 10% of the population has it. My wife thinks it tastes a lot like parsley. I'm with Julia Childs -- it's a vile weed, and a taste I will not make an effort to acquire.

Comment

If it tasted that bad, why did you keep eating it? To become an acquired taste, you had to eat it for a really long time, I'd think. I haven't had it in years, and I'm going to do my level best to avoid it permanently. The studies I've read say that it's genetic and about 6% - 10% of the population has it. My wife thinks it tastes a lot like parsley. I'm with Julia Childs -- it's a vile weed, and a taste I will not make an effort to acquire.
                          Thank you for making me laugh! Going off to bed now with a smile on my face.
                          As to your question, this herb shows up worldwide in some of the most interesting cuisines in Asia, South and Central America, parts of Europe, I suspect Africa. One day a long time ago somebody served me some flavorful dish with cilantro in it, and all of a sudden it just clicked into place and I've loved it ever since. It's also a major medicinal plant with lots of healing properties. But no worries, no one will make you eat it, and I'll gladly take your share.

Comment

I wonder if you can acquire a gene? I mean you have the set when you're born. Is it possible to get new ones or change the ones you have?

So you have salad just as I would but @ the end rather than in the beginning. Well ... just as I would have in a restaurant in America. Mostly when I have salad I have it as the entree. For the dressing, I like to get creative w/the various ingredients I have in the fridge @ the time. I rarely eat the same dressing twice, unless of course I have some leftover. And yes, I have added Cilantro to my dressings, it pares really well w/mint, half & half &/or honey mustard. I'm not a fan of prepared from the store dressing, usually they add too much vinegar for my digestive system.

Comment

• Booted, booting, boots, bootless are accepted. Booter and booters are not. Aren't those also slang terms for a footballer in England?

Comment

• Originally posted by 2cute View Post

I wonder if you can acquire a gene? I mean you have the set when you're born. Is it possible to get new ones or change the ones you have?

So you have salad just as I would but @ the end rather than in the beginning. Well ... just as I would have in a restaurant in America. Mostly when I have salad I have it as the entree. For the dressing, I like to get creative w/the various ingredients I have in the fridge @ the time. I rarely eat the same dressing twice, unless of course I have some leftover. And yes, I have added Cilantro to my dressings, it pares really well w/mint, half & half &/or honey mustard. I'm not a fan of prepared from the store dressing, usually they add too much vinegar for my digestive system.
                                Your genes change all the time; viruses do it to reproduce and sometimes get their genes incorporated. That's one of the ways mutations happen (others: radiation, chemicals). But almost all those cells are detected as "foreign" and marked for destruction by the body's immune system and most of the rest are dysfunctional and die anyway. And if you have the genetic version of cilantro avoidance, it's not going to change. When I was about twelve or so, I hated mushrooms, all kinds. That didn't last at all. Same thing with eggs -- couldn't stand them. Neither were genetic. I've had the cilantro thing forever, as far as I can tell, and it's not changing.

Comment

Working...
                                X