Surprising words not accepted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by bwt1213 View Post

Your genes change all the time; viruses do it to reproduce and sometimes get their genes incorporated. That's one of the ways mutations happen (others: radiation, chemicals). But almost all those cells are detected as "foreign" and marked for destruction by the body's immune system and most of the rest are dysfunctional and die anyway. And if you have the genetic version of cilantro avoidance, it's not going to change. When I was about twelve or so, I hated mushrooms, all kinds. That didn't last at all. Same thing with eggs -- couldn't stand them. Neither were genetic. I've had the cilantro thing forever, as far as I can tell, and it's not changing.
    Okay, good to know. Thanks!

Comment

• I tried "laggy" and it was not accepted in a game today - very surprising given that the dictionary has been updated with less common slang such as ROIDS and DADBOD

Comment

• I tried DOUBLENECKING (used for playing a double necked guitar or possibly other meanings), which was rejected, but then I was able to find BOTTLENECKING.

Comment

• Deacceleration. Note: Deceleration has a different meaning. Underacceleration was accepted

Comment

• Props to Crazykate for finding physicogeography! Awesome word to add to the notebooks.

Never heard of it.

Never seen it.

Would never have found it.

And still can't find a definition.

But that's Wordtwist for you.

101-13-38-26-14-10 -.png

Comment

• It is an odd dictionary, many common words are not accepted, while the most-uncommon words are. It should be an actual dictionary, like Webster's International.

Comment

• Originally posted by BaronTopor View Post
                It is an odd dictionary, many common words are not accepted, while the most-uncommon words are. It should be an actual dictionary, like Webster's International.
                Here is a problem with that proposal. If you read the dictionary, you will find at the beginning a discussion of regular word forms THAT MAY NOT APPEAR IN THE DICTIONARY. And the dictionary will give you examples -- plurals that are only implied by the rules, gerunds the same, words that might look strange in isolation but obvious in context ("holed" as in "holed a putt" or "the cannon holed the ship"), and so on. And the dictionary will even tell you that including all these extra words that are prescribed by the rules of English would greatly expand the size of the dictionary. And, in fact, the original rules of Scrabble (which I have no fear of telling you, since our family bought our game in the 50s) said explicitly that words formed by the standard rules of English were to be accepted whether they appeared in any dictionary or not. That is very much against the now standard Scrabble which declares that only words in their worthless dictionary are to be accepted at all. (If you detect animosity on my part towards Scrabble's strictures, that is intended.)

So, we get words ending in "nesses". And why not? THAT'S HOW A PLURAL IS FORMED. And those names for odd numbers? That's how those names are formed. It's in the rules. The rules are in the dictionary. The dictionary used by WordTwist isn't really a dictionary. It's a word list. And it's expanding, because it includes words that are formed according to the rules of standard English. It's not a piece of complete garbage like the Scrabble Dictionary (yup, I have one, and I look at it when I feel like raising my ire).

When I played Scrabble with my (now) wife of 56 years, the dictionary was the Oxford Unabridged. Plus words derived by standard rules, the rules to be found in the Oxford Unabridged. Two volumes, each weighing nearly ten pounds. Sometimes the discussions were heated, but we knew they were unimportant -- we loved each other.

Comment

• Hmmm, by inference? Relationships of adjectives to nouns and other adjectives, concatenating words to produce new words, morphing a word to produce a related word? Too many pathways to go down (or up or sideways . . .). Always fun to explore the world of languages.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dict...ogeographical: of or relating to physical geography.
                  https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/physicogeographical: Relating to physics and geography.
                  https://www.wordnik.com/words/physicogeographical: Of or pertaining to physical geography; physiographic.

https://researchguides.dartmouth.edu...cal_geography: Physical geography is the study of the processes that shape the Earth’s surface, the animals and plants that inhabit it, and the spatial patterns they exhibit. Self-identified in the mid- to late 1800s, physical geographers and in particular geomorphologists dominated the discipline of geography to the late 1930s.

Comment

• Considering the crazy numerical terms accepted in 5x5 play, was surprised that 4x4 didn't accept "triacontahedrons."

It's a polyhedron with 30 faces.

Game accepts octahedrons, which is a polyhedron with 8 faces.

Sad face.

Now, just a maestushedron.

Comment

• Rape is not accepted. Why?

Comment

• Originally posted by KathyGenius View Post
                        Rape is not accepted. Why?
                        Its accepted. I've even founded RAPED. Maybe you typed the wrong letters, I do this quite frequently, especially if I'm wearing a bandaid on any of my fingers. Or ... it was just that puzzle.

Its nice to see a new name here in the forum!

Comment

• If you accidentally hit a space before you type the word or a space afterwards, those spaces will cause your word to be rejected. I have no idea why.

Comment

• Originally posted by bwt1213 View Post
                            If you accidentally hit a space before you type the word or a space afterwards, those spaces will cause your word to be rejected. I have no idea why.
                            Ahh ... thanks for the tip.

Yep Kathy, this could've been it too.

Comment

• Having reached a certain age, I've come to more appreciate that which has become extinct. Most likely humans will take that path.

But for now, while still alive, I sit here saddened that the "ornithines" are recognized here, while the "enantiornithines" are not.

Were my indignation sufficient, there would be a signs and protest marches.

However, just look at one of these poor creatures. th-3333116846.jpeg

th-4153454745.jpeg

Don't they deserve our respect, as beautiful in imagination as morbid in petrifaction?

Comment

• Speaking of birds, studying an book by Mindy Lighthipe: The Art of Botanical & Bird Illustration. Quite a few interesting terms. Some long.

Will be looking for "tarsometatarsus" and "carpometacarpus." Basically the foot and hand bones of birds.

Just putting it out in the universe as a wish.

Like a word coin flipped into the fountain.

Comment

Working...
                                X