No announcement yet.

Favourite words found

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And another one: FRUITARIANISMS. On a board where the previous record was a 7-letter word after 46 plays.

Comment

Traditionalises? Yup, it's accepted. Forget how many points, I think 27.

Comment

MUCOMEMBRANOUS. I saw MEMBRANOUS first, then noticed there was an O next to the beginning of it and went looking for a prefix.

Comment

I just found FERROMOLYBDENUM. I saw MOLYBDENUM (and thought about an old post by flops mentioning "molly be damned"), and looked for something to add. It was worth a lot less than what I wanted (it was 28 points), but I couldn't resist.

Comment

Not as fancy as your word but I just stumbled across rollerbladings--I'm not very proficient at finding longer words so this made me happy

Comment

Just posting kudos to GalwayBob who I see found MICROSPECTROPHOTOMETRIC ! I was trying all kinds of variations on micro, photo, and metric, but GalwayBob put it all together with the Spectro!

Comment

Originally posted by rosedraws View Post
                Just posting kudos to GalwayBob who I see found MICROSPECTROPHOTOMETRIC ! I was trying all kinds of variations on micro, photo, and metric, but GalwayBob put it all together with the Spectro!
                Just to give credit where it's due, it was Spike who first pioneered the use of those prefixes to form the word MICROSPECTROPHOTOMETRY about 2 years ago. I recall the event because I thought it was a fantastic word. Since then, it and its derivative words have been played numerous times by various players including me. Thanks Spike! I realize you wouldn't have known that since you're relatively new to the long word game. Seems like you're progressing well too.

Edit: Wow, that was crazy. I just played MICROSPECTROPHOTOMETRY for 2 records on a game that was played 15 times. I know the same word often comes out at the same time on different boards but could hardly believe my eyes when I saw it just after writing about it.

Also, a shout-out to mcdonna. I see you started playing again a couple months ago. Welcome back! (I dunno if you'll see this or not as you may not have figured out the new forum here.)
                Last edited by lalatan; 08-14-2019, 05:00 PM.

Comment

I know haven't been active in ages (is it still the Cenozoic?), but apparently I'm not too rusty. Found PHENYLETHYLAMINES (a kind of antidepressant) and PHOTOSYNTHATES (any products of photosynthesis)

Comment

Those are pretty good words coming out of the Cenozoic. I'm pretty sure that I've never gotten either of those. Anyway, welcome back, and congratulations!
                    Last edited by Spike1007; 08-26-2019, 03:19 PM.

Comment

A shorter one that I half expected wouldn't count: TRACEUR. Having parkour enthusiasts in the family counts for something, I guess.

Comment

During August I came across SEMIDEMISEMIQUAVER. I am sorry that I did not note who had originally found it. The word just makes me smile every time I say it.

Comment

INCONCEIVABLE! Not my longest or best word nor even an obscure one, but it made me smile. I didn't click on the definition to find out if it means what I think it means, I'm pretty sure I already know.

Comment

Originally posted by crazykate View Post
                            INCONCEIVABLE! Not my longest or best word nor even an obscure one, but it made me smile. I didn't click on the definition to find out if it means what I think it means, I'm pretty sure I already know.
                            Pretty sure it's not the same as "impregnable" or "unbearable".

Comment

DEXTROCARDIACS. I think this is the first time I've used the DEXTRO- prefix.

Comment

Funny that I'm about to go to a rehearsal of the Brahms Requiem... I decided to play one game before leaving for rehearsal and found RECITATIVOS.

Comment

Working...
                                X