No announcement yet.

Favourite words found

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I just played 1 of my faves: HORRIPILATIONS. Makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up even thinking of that word.

Russ: fwiw, I use a Logictech K350 wireless keyboard for game play. I bought it after reading multiple reviews of gamers who flogged it hard and it stood up to it for years. It has the ergonomic curve to it and I love the feel of the keys while typing, a little bit spongy. Cheers to you

Comment

• Dear Lalatan,

Thanks for sharing..........checked it out, your keyboard is still available on Amazon...........pretty weird looking but I'm sure it serves you well and might be advantageous for me too. Alas, I've resigned myself to adjusting to the shallow keys on my new laptop--it's not too bad really but I feel it's prone to making typing errors. I suppose I could try bluetoothing (is that a word?) something like your keyboard to my laptop if I get motivated to try.

We're also playing a different style--I'm trying to type fast and you're looking for long words. I was hoping some of the other speed demons might share their thoughts as I'm curious about their set ups.

Anyway, it's always good to hear from you!

Best,

Russ

Comment

• Not an award-winning word but I was very happy to find SOLSTICE on this particular day!

Comment

• Also not award-winning, but I was happy to find DASHEEN, which I find more frequently in this game under its more usual name (taro).

Comment

• Thank you, DrPlacebo, I learned something today.

Happy Summer Solstice, pigletta!

I can now say that yes, I have found, not only a UNICORN, but UNICORNS!

And I have proof (and if you look at my stats, yes, I am, and always will be, one of the slowest players ever):

Unicorn.png
            Last edited by Guest; 06-21-2020, 09:46 PM. Reason: I inadvertently included the board in my first picture, which I believe is a whoopsie.

Comment

• Latest: IATROGENICALLY

Comment

• Good find DrP! Never heard the word before.
                Although it's not a favorite of mine, I just found a word you're likely familiar with: HAEMOCYTOMETER (26/14) I reasoned that it's some kind of meter that measures blood cells and wasn't too far wrong.

A favorite that I recently found again is LACTIFEROUSNESSES (32/17). I like the -ferous words, especially ODORIFEROUS.

currerbell: I include the board that was played so others can see how it was found. Not a problem for me if you do likewise.

Comment

• Nice word, DrPlacebo! Believe it or not, iatrogenic is one of my mother's favorite words (she was a nurse)

My new favorite that I just played (and got in before anyone else): CLAIRAUDIENTLY

Comment

• One of my favorite words in general, not just in this game: ZEITGEIST.

Comment

• Originally posted by Grifir View Post
                      My new favorite that I just played (and got in before anyone else): CLAIRAUDIENTLY
                      That's a great find, Grifir. I probably would have never combined those letters to come up with that. It seems there's a word for everything in English. While thinking about it I recalled one time I was looking for something to pair with inter-. I eventually tried INTERTENTACULAR, reasoning that it could describe the space between tentacles. It means "situated between tentacles." Crazy, still makes me laugh even now.
                      Last edited by lalatan; 06-26-2020, 03:27 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Grifir View Post
                        Nice word, DrPlacebo! Believe it or not, iatrogenic is one of my mother's favorite words (she was a nurse)

I actually knew the meaning of both those words. There was a time in the mid-50s up to about the early 60s when books and stories about psychic powers were popular fiction works. Every term connected to psychic phenomena was used in such books, and I know I saw them frequently. I'd guess that hard science fiction and psychic powers stories were about equally popular back then, though only the hard science fiction stuff has had staying power. Few people remember Theodore Sturgeon's "Baby Is Three" now, though it was extremely popular then, just for one example. And someone really ought to do a movie treatment of "The Stars My Destination" (James Blish, I think, but I keep thinking maybe it was Alfred Bester).

Comment

• Not the highest scoring or longest word I found on the board, but one I don't think most people would get: MANDOLA.

Similar to a mandolin, except tuned like a viola instead of a violin.

Comment

• Wasn't the first to find it but I just got ORTHOGONALIZATION which is fun if you like Hilbert

Comment

• Originally posted by 6winner9 View Post
                              Wasn't the first to find it but I just got ORTHOGONALIZATION which is fun if you like Hilbert
                              When I was an undergrad (more than 50 years ago) I developed a method of full orthogonalization for any given vector. It had nothing to do with Hilbert, who I encountered for the first time in grad school a year later. Since I went from zero to grad school in less than two years, those events were somewhat compressed. Ah, but that was back when I was fab. Right now, if I can still draw breath it's a victory. My last birthday was a week ago. I was 74. I've written novels and I've written a symphony, my wife likes my poetry, and I'm no better than anyone and I know it. My pretensions are far past gone -- they're invisible.

Comment

• Originally posted by 6winner9 View Post
                                Wasn't the first to find it but I just got ORTHOGONALIZATION which is fun if you like Hilbert
                                That's interesting, because I found ORTHOGONALIZE on a different board yesterday.

Comment

Working...
                                X