A crazy, surprising run continued

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Spike1007 View Post
    I've waffled on whether I think things have changed since the migration.
    I gave it 2.5 months before I commented for the same reason. It still could just be my impression of what's going on.

I see duplicate boards (sometimes within just a few clicks), and sometimes closely-spaced boards that have basically the same long word, but maybe one without the plural, or maybe an S rather than a Z. Their stock of longer words is obviously limited, and after a while you've seen most of them.
    Agreed. Sometimes I marvel that they come up with as many new words as they do. But it could be that they were out there all along and I just didn't see them til now.

Since I do like getting new best words, I'm currently kind of fan of fast recycling. I agree that seeing what someone else has been able to do with a board is a good indicator of whether to play it or not (so a 1k score recycling criterion definitely makes sense for some), but that almost has the opposite effect on me. I don't often do better on a board where a 14+ letter word has been found, but I play them anyway, mostly to track my mental acuity & see if I can match it. (If I miss too many, it's time to take a break.)
    I do the same at times. Some games that are ripe for recycling I will play to push it over the threshold cliff. Haha, so I guess I'm a fan of fast recycling to some degree.

Off topic, but I found VIOLINISTICALLY a few days ago. I was desperate to find something to go with -CALLY, and that was the best that I could do. It worked, but wasn't worth enough to keep.
    Cool, I like that one. Good find!

Comment

Spike, I sent you a message a while ago if you want to read it. It seems to me this forum gives you no indication you received 1 unless you look at the message center.

Comment

Thanks for letting me know. I miss the main-page notification that a message was waiting. Also, congrats on the October trophy!

Comment

It seems like I wasn't able to keep my word about playing on here for 30-60 minutes a day when I made that post 8 months ago

Here's hoping that I am able to start making that commitment again.

Comment

We all do what we can. At the risk of being platitudinal, "Life is what happens when you had something else planned."
            Last edited by lalatan; 12-28-2019, 04:35 PM.

Comment

When I was kid I liked to watch the car odometer roll over to the next thousand. When it rolled over to 100k miles from 99,999 I thought that was best ever. Strangely enough (maybe not ) I like when it happens in WordTwist too. Yesterday I reached 25k 5x5 best/longest records since starting May 2017. It's gratifying. I should reach 30k by year end as long as I'm able and willing to do so. (Lately, I'm losing some of my zeal for playing but the new boards Stephen issued last Dec. helped me remain interested.)

Comment

Originally posted by lalatan View Post
                When I was kid I liked to watch the car odometer roll over to the next thousand. When it rolled over to 100k miles from 99,999 I thought that was best ever. Strangely enough (maybe not ) I like when it happens in WordTwist too. Yesterday I reached 25k 5x5 best/longest records since starting May 2017. It's gratifying. I should reach 30k by year end as long as I'm able and willing to do so. (Lately, I'm losing some of my zeal for playing but the new boards Stephen issued last Dec. helped me remain interested.)
                Congratulations on your impressive results!
                I'm not sure the board title is accurate anymore though, there's too much method to your madness to call it crazy and by now none of us are surprised by your continued success in racking up records.

I too experience periods of diminished enthusiasm for the game, but when that happens I change my goals and that keeps things interesting for me. I know you tend to stick to your principles, but maybe you could log out occasionally to try a new style off the record?

Comment

Good luck on your goal of 30k by year's end, and congrats on the 25k!

Comment

Thanks Spike! It's always good to see your username on the forum and the APPW trophy list.

I tried editing the post before yours and it became spam somehow.

Comment

Originally posted by crazykate View Post

Congratulations on your impressive results!
                      I'm not sure the board title is accurate anymore though, there's too much method to your madness to call it crazy and by now none of us are surprised by your continued success in racking up records.

I too experience periods of diminished enthusiasm for the game, but when that happens I change my goals and that keeps things interesting for me. I know you tend to stick to your principles, but maybe you could log out occasionally to try a new style off the record?
                      Thanks Kate! I posted a reply yesterday, edited it and then it was flagged as spam. I waited til the end of the day for Stephen to approve it but he didn't. So late last night I nuked it and started over today.

It's true the thread title is outdated now. I also realized it's somewhat redundant but it seems once it's started, there's no changing it.

Thanks for the suggestion. I actually tried playing points/game a few times under 1 of my old usernames. I wasn't good at it. My mind always wanted to look for long words. I play about 1/2 as many games/month now as I did early last year. Instead of playing as much I found there's a lot of good info and entertainment on YouTube. I tried the trivia game on this website but it didn't engage me like Boggle. I still enjoy the long word game so I'll wait and see where it goes. I used to be in hurry to collect records but not so much anymore.

Enjoy the games.

Comment

image_228.jpg
                        crazykate's comment in the "Cheateres" thread made me curious about how long I take to play a game on avg while looking for best/long word records. So I built a simple spreadsheet and logged my results for May 27. I thought I'd post it here so I wouldn't clutter that thread. I was surprised by the number of games where I found new words. (Stephen must be cranking out more new boards. Btw I take a screenshot of new words I find worth over 22 pts and file them in a folder. Then I know when I first found the word.)
                        Last edited by lalatan; 05-31-2020, 12:57 PM.

Comment

5 seconds to find preposterousnesses? Impressive!

Comment

I have a challenge for whoever wants to find the longest word.
                            21 9+ Ultra rare words available I think the prevailing suffix is -IBLITIES.
                            Tell me if you find anything special, good luck!
                            https://wordtwist.puzzlebaron.com/ht...844c1591279117

Comment

With that link, I just get a notice that the board has already been played. For that reason, I'm guessing INACCESSIBILITIES.

Comment

lol Spike!

Comment

Working...
                                X