Mongol Heavy Metal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mongol Heavy Metal

Really exists. The group is called the HU Band. My wife played some of it for me, and it's flat ODD. It's actually music, not like most metal stuff. But I'd never imagined a rock group with throat singing before. This has nothing to do with this game, but on the other hand I feel I know a few of you a little bit and something just OUT there might tickle a few of you.

Been following them for a while! Love their videos. Another band that's similar is Hanggai (try the song "Wuji", not metal by any means but kinda Mongolean folk punk).

Comment

I've never listened to Mongolian music before. Interesting stuff (both musically & politically) and surprisingly listenable. I like what looks like a two-string violin-like thing.

Comment

Originally posted by CardinalFang View Post
        Been following them for a while! Love their videos. Another band that's similar is Hanggai (try the song "Wuji", not metal by any means but kinda Mongolean folk punk).
        I really liked Hanggai. My daughter recommended the group Steve N Seagull. She can't remember if they're from Iceland or Finland. The instruments are recognizable but not what you'd expect at ALL to be played together (especially the accordion).

Comment

Speaking of out there: xttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXm8JdC4k4c&list=PL00483598CF5718C6&index= 16&t=0s
          I love the reactions of the people in the market when Archy Jay walks through it while playing.

I've seen Steve N Seagulls videos. At first I assumed they were from Appalachia but they're actually from Finland.
          They love accordion music there; you can get a degree from Helsinki University in accordion studies. I saw a show where 30 women from the university played as a band.

Comment

Originally posted by lalatan View Post
            Speaking of out there: xttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXm8JdC4k4c&list=PL00483598CF5718C6&index= 16&t=0s
            I love the reactions of the people in the market when Archy Jay walks through it while playing.

I've seen Steve N Seagulls videos. At first I assumed they were from Appalachia but they're actually from Finland.
            They love accordion music there; you can get a degree from Helsinki University in accordion studies. I saw a show where 30 women from the university played as a band.
            You had me at "bagpipes." LOVE

Comment

I really liked that song. (Is it my imagination, or did I detect a little bit of "Enter Sandman" in that tune.) Last year, I found myself in Siegburg Germany for a night during the Christmas season. They have a Medieval-themed Christmas market there. There was a band (sometimes marching through the festival, sometimes playing on stage) consisting of just bagpipes & drums. I loved it.
              Last edited by Spike1007; 06-14-2019, 05:31 PM.

Comment

It's not your imagination, Spike. That was cool experience you had in Germany.

Your story reminded me of the time we were at a park by the ocean at sunset on a hot summer day. On one of the small islands adjacent a guy climbed to the top of the rocky outcrop and began to play the bagpipes. (We didn't see him until he started to play. He climbed up the back side of the rock.) The sound carried so clearly over the surface of the water. As the sun set he and the pipes were silhouetted. It was a lovely experience and completely unexpected.
                Last edited by lalatan; 06-15-2019, 01:51 PM.

Comment

I should have read the text. I was too busy watching the video. On the second watching, it was all obvious. I may have been distracted the first time around.
                  Last edited by Spike1007; 06-15-2019, 06:06 PM.

Comment

No problem Spike. We all miss something once in a while.
                    Last edited by lalatan; 06-17-2019, 02:52 AM.

Comment

I considered the bagpipies, but worried about bagpipers lung, it's why I always give to the bagpiping buskers (my son marches around the house to "Scotland the Brave"), plus they sound like very odd cats as they deflate (the bagpipes, that is, not the pipers).

Comment

Latest find: "Die Beatles". It's as if The Beatles had been a German band. All their early songs are with German lyrics, and all the voices sound like Beatles members from the 60s. It's bizarre and good at the same time. I suppose it's a little better if you understand German (I do, but not at the "fluent" level), but since you already know the English version you're probably close to what the German version is. But sometimes, you're not. As I said, it's bizarre and good.

Comment

The Beatles did play in Hamburg for a couple of years at the start of their career. They did sing and record some of their songs in German. The current movie, Jo Jo Rabbit opens with the Beatles German version of I Want to Hold Your Hand. This was pre-Ringo. At that timeThe Beatles included Pete Best on drums and Stu Sutcliffe on bass.

Comment

Working...
                          X