No announcement yet.

5x5 Boards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Okay then. Now that I know all of this, do you mind if I ask each of you to take this next month off so I can get a trophy?
    Ha ha, I might. I'm focusing on small 4x4 boards now, a different challenge.

Comment

I've been playing for years and have never come across one of my boards. I do not look for boards with high scoring or many possible words. I click away the boards where people have gotten 10+ letter words. Not going to bother with them, not fun. Guess I am not that competitive, I play for fun and boards like that are no fun to me.

Comment

Originally posted by leabhar View Post
        I've been playing for years and have never come across one of my boards. I do not look for boards with high scoring or many possible words. I click away the boards where people have gotten 10+ letter words. Not going to bother with them, not fun. Guess I am not that competitive, I play for fun and boards like that are no fun to me.
        I always wondered who played the small boards and why

Comment

Originally posted by Brisul View Post

Okay then. Now that I know all of this, do you mind if I ask each of you to take this next month off so I can get a trophy?
          LOL I haven't had a trophy in 5 years.

Comment

I prefer the 4x4 board as I'm able to find more words with less than 5 letters. I don't want to spend the entire time just finding one word. I do play the 5x5 board too as it forces me to find 4 letters & longer words and thus improves my game on the 4x4 board.

Comment

And I always wondered who preferred the 4x4 game and why. I'd like it even more if there were a 6x6 board and I'd probably play that one exclusively, but that's just me.

Comment

Couple of thoughts:

6 x 6 is a blast--my family has the "real" 6 x 6 Super Big Boggle by Hasbro and we play all the time. Would like to have 4 minutes to work on the 6 x 6 boards and I can't even imagine some of the words the nutcases here would come up with

4 x 4 is the original so I understand the appeal but don't have the patience to memorize all the 3 letter words you need to get higher scores.

What I think Brisul meant but "smaller" boards was the 5 x 5 ones that have less word volume or scoring potential. I like playing these just because you can learn a lot of new words--if you exclusively play only the same high word volume/high score potential boards over and over again you get stuck in a rut and don't pick up on new words..........

Cheers,

Russ

Comment

I used to play on lycos over 10 years ago and they had rooms where you could designate board size and minimum word length. I started 5x5 minimum length 4, which is what most people played. But I went to the minimum 6 letter word to try to get better at longer words and got hooked. When lycos stopped having boggle I came here. If they had a 6x6 board I would only do that. Also, if they had minimum 6 letter word I would only play those. There would be times when there wouldn't be other players playing minimum 6 letter, so I would go to play others on the 5x5 minimum 4 letter, but I remember after getting used to the 6 letter minimum, the smaller words would seem tedious.
                  If they ever went to 6x6 or 5x5 w/ minimum 6 letter I would quit 5x5 minimum 4 letter and would go there. Longer words are definitely more fun. I get the appeal of trying to find the longest word and going for average points per word competition. If I weren't good at finding lots of words I would play that way even if I wouldn't get the trophies because I think some of the top players are above my league.

Comment

I somehow always try to find the last words on the boards or I try to find at least one word on the 50 times played boards. English is not my main language, so smaller words are easier to find for me

Comment

Originally posted by leabhar View Post

I somehow always try to find the last words on the boards or I try to find at least one word on the 50 times played boards. English is not my main language, so smaller words are easier to find for me
                      That's impressive! Where are you from?

Comment

That's impressive! Where are you from?
                        Thank you. The Netherlands, but my husband is from the US, so English is my second language.

Comment

fasteddieb - who were you on lycos? I started playing there at the same time I was playing the version of tangleword on playsite also. My name was the same there.

Comment

It's been so long... I had 2 profiles. I can't remember one of them, but other one was Hugoman

Comment

Doesn't ring a bell, but like you said it was a long time ago. Nice to think about lycos/playsite again though.

Comment

Working...
                              X