How good IS Megaword?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How good IS Megaword?

For whatever reason, there are now a lot of games showing for which Megaword has the high score on 5x5. For some players (like Scheffek) I can pretty much bet that I will get about 80% of their score. Same with RussDNails -- usually about 80%, and once in a blue moon I will actually get a higher score. But Megaword? My usual result is about 1/3 of Megaword's score. I do all right playing this game for high score. Certainly, I don't consider myself an elite player, but I do all right. But Megaword is in another league. Congratulations! You give me something to shoot for, and right now my goal is to improve to where I can be 50% as good as Megaword. It seems a lofty goal, though.

Mega-ly good. Excels small boards and big boards. I came close once or twice? But normally barely 60-70% of him. Both Megaword and Fasteddieb. Sadly, I have become worse after not playing regularly and also a new keyboard that I mistype all the time, it's annoying. Now I think if I hit 50% of their scores, I would be content haha.

Comment

Originally posted by Estive View Post
      Mega-ly good. Excels small boards and big boards. I came close once or twice? But normally barely 60-70% of him. Both Megaword and Fasteddieb. Sadly, I have become worse after not playing regularly and also a new keyboard that I mistype all the time, it's annoying. Now I think if I hit 50% of their scores, I would be content haha.
      I just played a game where you scored 615 points and I got 410. I was happy enough with the 410. I remember thinking when I first started how fun it would be to hit 300, then 400, then 500. Now, I want to get 600, though I'm really happy when I hit anything near 500. I suppose if I ever get 900 I'll want 1,000, ad infinitum. Knowing that I'll never be satisfied with scores, I've simply been trying to relax, have fun, work my brain, and walk away happy that I've got more to do and learn. Just know, Estive, there are still plenty of people who wish they were as skilled as you, new keyboard or not.

Comment

I just played a board where I got 565 and I thought I'd done pretty well. Megaword got 1355 on the same board. But it was more than 1/3 this time, at least.

Comment

Can somebody explain how someone can get 128 words in 120 seconds? Nobody can type that quickly.

Comment

Not sure what you mean, but 128 in 2 mins is not really a feat. 3/4 letter words that do not make a coherent sentence is easily doable as long you see the words in the grid.

Comment

If I'm able to see words fast enough that I don't stop typing, I can hit 140+ words with no difficulty at all. The limitation is how fast I can spot them.

Comment

I'm a mediocre typist at best and I've done 116. Getting 128 isn't even out of my reach. I remember starting word twist and wondering how anyone could even do 90. Mostly, it's a problem of learning usable words and letter patterns, recognizing those words and patterns quickly enough and then not making mistakes as you rush and fumble. Like in chess, good players study the game, and study the game, and study the game.

Comment

I’m not a very good typist but luckily I don’t have to. I play this game on my phone and use my finger to swipe which has it advantages and disadvantages.
                  this month I’m going to play every board and try and learn as many words as possible so I can try and compete with Megaword. I have only been able to best him a couple times while normally I’m just happy getting within 100 points of his score.

Comment

Originally posted by boysmom View Post
                    I’m not a very good typist but luckily I don’t have to. I play this game on my phone and use my finger to swipe which has it advantages and disadvantages.
                    this month I’m going to play every board and try and learn as many words as possible so I can try and compete with Megaword. I have only been able to best him a couple times while normally I’m just happy getting within 100 points of his score.
                    That should be formidable. Last month, I figured you were playing fewer games to maintain a 625 average, which put you at a tactical disadvantage having to find suitable games to play. I would estimate that had you played the same games I did you would have beaten me by well over 700,000 points.

Comment

Originally posted by boysmom View Post
                      I'm surprised you swipe rather than type. 185 wds 4x4 swiping is insane. I think my highest 5x5 swiping game was 211 wds. It was uncomfortable for my right arm/hand. I much prefer typing.

My laptop is being repaired now, so I can't play on it for a while, might play some 5x5 on my phone though. Good luck on increasing your wordtwist prowess.

Comment

Wow swiping is pretty impressive for that. I sometimes type, or mouse. But swiping will never be possible for me lol. Good luck!

Comment

MegaWord, I noticed some time ago in the Hall of Fame you scored 1,858 pts in a 5x5 game to surpass by a good margin fasteddieb's high of 1,775. It seems you were in training mode May-June. Then last month you came back and set a personal high of 202 words/game in 4x4. (I thought I might get tendinitis scrolling through your trophy room to see the applicable section. ) So congrats on your achievements!! (I likely missed some.) Amazing as usual. You inspire me to continue to improve my much, much, wayyyyyyyyy slower long word game.

boysmom, I'm worried that your fingertip may burst into flame from swiping that fast some day. Please be careful. Amazing speed and word recognition skills!

Comment

Originally posted by Estive View Post
                            Not sure what you mean, but 128 in 2 mins is not really a feat. 3/4 letter words that do not make a coherent sentence is easily doable as long you see the words in the grid.
                            I mean that it can take at least 1-2 seconds to type a word, plus the time it takes to spot them, plus mistakes that might be made - how can 128 words be typed in 120 seconds? That is less than one second per word, taking in account finding and typing the word. I don't believe it.

Comment

Originally posted by freebird View Post

I mean that it can take at least 1-2 seconds to type a word, plus the time it takes to spot them, plus mistakes that might be made - how can 128 words be typed in 120 seconds? That is less than one second per word, taking in account finding and typing the word. I don't believe it.
                              You don't belong to the generation that grew up with instant messaging, do you? Sustained typing speeds of 90-100 words per minute are pretty typical for the millennial generation. 140+ words in 2 minutes is not especially fast typing for me, as long as I can find enough words to type continuously.

Comment

Working...
                              X