No announcement yet.

Broken machinery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I also find this game to be extremely therapeutic. I get so incredibly invested for the 2-3 minutes per game that it’s almost impossible to think about anything else.

if I could offer any advice/strategy for getting more words it’s learn anagrams and semipalindromes/heteropalindromes (words that form different words when spelled backwards such as stressed backwards is desserts). Whenever I’m in a rut, I try and slow down and really focus on getting all the anagrams of a certain location starting with a grouping of 4 letters. Once I feel confident that I learned all the word combinations I try and learn endings to root words (for example the word sera can have an C, I, or L added to the end to form serac, serai, or seral)

Comment

Originally posted by boysmom View Post
      I also find this game to be extremely therapeutic. I get so incredibly invested for the 2-3 minutes per game that it’s almost impossible to think about anything else.

If I could offer any advice/strategy for getting more words it’s learn anagrams and semipalindromes/heteropalindromes (words that form different words when spelled backwards such as stressed backwards is desserts). Whenever I’m in a rut, I try and slow down and really focus on getting all the anagrams of a certain location starting with a grouping of 4 letters. Once I feel confident that I learned all the word combinations I try and learn endings to root words (for example the word sera can have an C, I, or L added to the end to form serac, serai, or seral)
      Thanks for the advice. I'm always interested in strategy. I'll revisit this post to make sure I'm both understanding what you say but also putting it into practice. It's so easy to fall back into bad patterns.

Even though my vocabulary is decent, this game is something else. Oont? LOL.

I use the game to establish new neural pathways, hopefully to ward off the vampires of dementia.

I have two inherent problems with the game. My fingers are large and clumsy--weirdly clumsy because I was a dancer. I hit the wrong keys several words per game. For some reason my return key isn't activating so I'll often do two or three or four words without registering one. I'm also a very slow reader. Very. My wife reads five pages to every one I manage. I've yet to resolve either. I look at the board and simply don't recognize what's there. After I've played a game I look and see rudimentary combinations sitting dead center. It's odd because my mind runs a hundred miles an hour. Maybe an overactive mind is a distraction.

When I play games where you have the high score my goal is to come within 300. Sometimes I get under 200. Sometimes it's 400 or more lower. I just take a deep breath and admire your skills. After all, it's all about improving more than anything. It's good to have role models.

I've been taking screen shots of the played words to memorize combos I don't know. And there are a lot.

Semipalindromes/heteropalindromes? Dang.

Oh well, I've got to finish three more games and hit the gym. I have to take frequent breaks to avoid carpal tunnel syndrome. Thanks for the feedback.

Comment

Originally posted by boysmom View Post

if I could offer any advice/strategy for getting more words it’s learn anagrams and semipalindromes/heteropalindromes (words that form different words when spelled backwards such as stressed backwards is desserts). Whenever I’m in a rut, I try and slow down and really focus on getting all the anagrams of a certain location starting with a grouping of 4 letters. Once I feel confident that I learned all the word combinations I try and learn endings to root words (for example the word sera can have an C, I, or L added to the end to form serac, serai, or seral)
        Boysmom, just wanted to thank you for the advice on adding to sera. I found seral, serac, seracs, and serai in the last game. An unexpected 32 points that would have been overlooked otherwise. Got them, thought about your advice and smiled a big inside smile. Been trying to parse out the anagrams as you suggested. Notice you get ana combinations a lot: lana, nala, anal, alan, alans, alane, tala, mala etc. (Funny how spellcheck keeps changing these words here.)

Comment

Working...
        X