Heavy slogging

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heavy slogging

We had a really heavy thunderstorm, with high winds and almost three inches of rain in a half hour. Power was out for about five hours. Big deal, right? But coming back from it I found that my computer was not right. It would run, but then lock up. On Wordtwist, I played a board. I found "indeterminablenesses" for a lot of points but the game wasn't even 500 points. I took it anyway. No matter: the computer stuck on "submitting". I tried task manager, which took forever to come up. It told me that Chrome was "unresponsive". No matter; Taskmanager was soon also unresponsive. Before Taskmanager went south, it told me that CPU usage was 100% and disk usage was 50% or sometimes higher. The culprit was Windows Module Installer Worker, mostly. My wife told me that her computer went through a spell like that and needed a new version of Chrome. This all sounds arcane enough to remind me of the old operant conditioning experiments B. F. Skinner did with pigeons. Does anyone have any advice? Have you encountered this already? I can pretty well rule out Wordtwist and its site as any source for my problems. Was ist geschehen? Alles is verrucht, ganz verrucht!

I'm not an expert, but I think this is "normal." From what I see, it's related to Windows updates. I have no idea why Microsoft can't do this stuff quietly in the background without sucking up all your resources, but I've occasionally had problems on Windows 7 systems like that. Task Manager was still responding though, and I could find a particular update-related process & stop it. The alternative is to wait it out. They say that it will eventually finish. (I've let mine run overnight before.) If the storm screwed with your internet, that could conceivably slow things down more.

Others may have better or more practical advice. Good luck!

Comment

I suspect you are correct, but I've seen Windows 10 updates before and they weren't nearly as bad. This time, when the real slowdown hit I couldn't run anything, couldn't exit anything, couldn't do anything at ALL other than shut the computer off. That infernal spinning blue doughnut was everywhere and for a whole lot of hours -- at least more than five. I ended up rebooting several times so I'd have enough room to post my comment before the lockup bit me again. Finally, I let the computer run overnight; Windows said it needed to do another update anyway (it had done one just a few days before the storm). Now, everything seems back to normal. Perhaps I'm paranoid, but I can't help feeling that the previous Windows update was responsible for the problems and Microsoft just got the bug fixes out there when the problems became too big to ignore. I hope no one else was affected!

Comment

Originally posted by bwt1213 View Post
        Alles is verrucht, ganz verrucht!
        You keep using that word... I do not think it means what you think it means.

Did you mean to say that everything is wicked and nefarious?

Comment

Originally posted by crazykate View Post

You keep using that word... I do not think it means what you think it means.

Did you mean to say that everything is wicked and nefarious?
          We're talking Windows here. Of COURSE it's wicked and nefarious. I actually know Bill Gates -- met and talked to him for a while, a very long time ago. Yup, that's what I meant.

Comment

Working...
          X