X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boysmom and The Magic Thumb

Just thought we should take the burden off the Green on 50 thread:

Originally posted by boysmom View Post
    Thank you for the compliments, It’s nice to find to find people who have similar interests. My friends assume I’m just guessing patterns.

To RussDNails My brain gets tired far before my thumb does!

and to Naboka, I’m only 23 so I have no spouse to tend to! Saying that, I guess I should explain the name “Boysmom” lol. My mom created this account when I was 11 and her and I would sit at the computer and play every day together. Fast forward to April, and the start of quarantine, I needed a new word game to play to occupy my time and was able to recover the account.

Ah! That explains the incredible improvement over the missing 12 years. I've meant to ask how you had virtually become a different player with such an improved skill set in that time. The answer is: you actually are a different player.

The phone dexterity seems to be part of your age group's culture. I watch my son and daughter (26 & 29) with amazement. Their thumbs dance over the screens with lightening speed. Texting for me is an absolute tedious chore. Your mind and my kid's minds interact with screens at speeds I can't match or comprehend. A completely different set of neural pathways you guys have.

Unlike your friends, I would have guessed you're aware of and recognize patterns at a speed level I can only imagine. Very impressive that you've accumulated such a huge, accessible storehouse of words so quickly.

Love the story of your mom and you.

This quarantine has been interesting. As a positive, it provides more time for art classes on line.

love the name of the thread Naboka and thank you for the kind words.
    This is a rare case where the board was so good that I almost saw too many words and was forgetting to do words I had just thought to do. Here’s a video as promised, my apologies for the somewhat poor quality

Also, I just realized I cropped the video short - I got 174 words and 841 points
    Last edited by boysmom; 10-16-2020, 10:47 PM.

Comment

This is a rare case where the board was so good that I almost saw too many words and was forgetting to do words I had just thought to do. Here’s a very dri as promised, my apologies for the somewhat poor quality

Also, I just realized I cropped the video short - I got 174 words and 841 points
      The wife teaches kindergarten so I get exposed to hundreds of book titles. I liked the title of the thread too, but, this is a weird world, so I was slightly apprehensive about it being misunderstood as sarcasm rather than a fondness for the magic of human capacity.

Wow on the video.

I'd be jealous.

But jealously's a waste of soul space.

So, I'll simple admire your skills--and be happy there are people better than me to give me reason to improve. Imagine a world where running a 4 minute mile was considered physically impossible.

Comment

This is a rare case where the board was so good that I almost saw too many words and was forgetting to do words I had just thought to do. Here’s a very dri as promised, my apologies for the somewhat poor quality

Nice video, honestly I couldn't tell what words you were getting just seeing your thumb moving everywhere. I really didn't think the phone would even register words that quick, but I never moved that quick swiping. Your hands are very dexterous, it's beautiful to see in action. I'm sure your mother is impressed! And lol at (that wasn't very good) at the end, I do that a lot to. I'm 31 myself and started playing Wordtwist in 2011, I believe, under a different name (wordlearner999).

Comment

BTW, as Einstein said, "relatives can be a pain in the ass."

Hearing you say, "that's not very good" after your game just goes to show that "relativity" is sometimes found playing Wordtwist.

If I'd done that well, I would have peed all over myself with elation and not washed for a week.

Comment

image_314.png “Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in awhile.” Today I set one of my best records ever. Once in a blue moon I might beat Megaword but those are usually on boards with a low amount words and I happen to guess particularly well. This is the first time I’ve beaten him on a board with 250+ words.

(don’t want to seem like I’m rubbing it in that I beat Megaword but it was a very big, personal accomplishment)

not sure why the image isn’t rendering
            my stats
            total points: 728
            total words: 159

Megaword’s:
            High score: 686
            most words: 140
            Last edited by boysmom; 10-29-2020, 11:12 PM.

Comment

Ha ha, nice job! Sometimes I do have bad games that I'll find again and beat by over 100 points, but a win is win. Btw, I tried some 4x4 on my phone and managed 165 wds, and actually barely beat a few of your games with 15x wds (I was signed out of my profile). My problem is my thumb start sticking to the screen instead of gliding, if that problem was solved I could go faster.

Comment

Originally posted by MegaWord View Post
                Ha ha, nice job! Sometimes I do have bad games that I'll find again and beat by over 100 points, but a win is win. Btw, I tried some 4x4 on my phone and managed 165 wds, and actually barely beat a few of your games with 15x wds (I was signed out of my profile). My problem is my thumb start sticking to the screen instead of gliding, if that problem was solved I could go faster.
                165 words is still over 1.33 words a second; I’m not surprised at all that you would beat me even at my own specialty! I’ve watched a few of your videos and it seems like you start at a letter and do all the word combinations starting with that letter and the move onto the next letter whereas I I try and memorize all anagrams and therefore don’t swipe as systematically and often forget to do easy words.
                I also face the similar issues with gliding from time to time.
                I love playing your boards though because almost every time I learn a new word. Your vocabulary puts mine to shame. You inspire me and many others to get better every day.
                Last edited by boysmom; 10-30-2020, 02:54 AM.

Comment

Well, thank you. And may your magic thumb be blessed!

Comment

Well, you both tick me off for exposing my self-delusions of grandeur.

So, I wish you both would go back to playing fantasy video games and leave the real reality of self delusion to those of us who are aging less than gracefully.

Neither of you seem to have proper respect for your elders. When I was a boy, we were taught to always lose to grandpa. Sometimes it was hard, but sometimes we just have to make sacrifices.

Comment

Originally posted by Naboka View Post
                      Well, you both tick me off for exposing my self-delusions of grandeur.

So, I wish you both would go back to playing fantasy video games and leave the real reality of self delusion to those of us who are aging less than gracefully.

Neither of you seem to have proper respect for your elders. When I was a boy, we were taught to always lose to grandpa. Sometimes it was hard, but sometimes we just have to make sacrifices.

When I was a kid, I loved to beat everyone. Grandpa didn't play (and if he had, he wouldn't have cared). But I loved beating mom and dad, and dinner guests, and the neighbors, and basically everyone else I could get to play Scrabble. Boggle didn't exist back then, not that I remember. But remember -- in our area, this was back before there was television, there was no McDonald's, and the big teen-age hangout was the library. Hey, it was warm! When it's -30 or colder outside (no, not counting wind chill temperatures which also didn't exist back then) then a warm library is wonderful, even if that meant writing notes and passing them to each other. But, yeah, I'm not aging gracefully, either. But it beats not aging at all.

Comment

30 below? Wow. Coldest I ever experienced was a record setting -23, which froze the hairs in my nose as we walked from the car to the theater.

As for letting grandpa win, all of my grandparents were gone early. We came from no-nonsense farm/depression stock who considered games a waste of time.

The letting grandpa win was pure fabrication.

But, hey, a huge chunk of what humans hold as truth is merely fabrication and myth. Anything to help explain crap we otherwise seem unable to grasp.

I suppose you could just chalk up what I wrote above as feeble septuagenarian smack talk.

Comment

Working...
                        X