Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PumpkinEater is a straight up cheater.................

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PumpkinEater is a straight up cheater.................

Decided to start a new thread to highlight this person's user name. Clearly this person is not able to honestly put up these types of numbers. If allowed to continue, he will have cheated myself, fasteddieb, thunderrock, denali87, jimbob and other honest players of their achievements this month. Not really sure why these clowns persist in doing this from time????

Just out of curiosity - how is it possible to cheat? I'm fairly new at this game, and not particularly good. I can't see how it's done!

Comment

I’m honestly not sure either—I wouldn’t know how to cheat even if I wanted to. From what I’ve heard, people with computer expertise can write “algorithms” that quickly find every possible word on a board. Thankfully the admin here is really good at quickly removing the cheater’s scores so the honest players are protected. It looks like “PumpkinEater” is still hanging around but he’s wasting his time as his illegal scores have already been expunged from all the scoreboards.........

Comment

I'm not sure how to cheat, but it seems like some of the scores are impossibly high. I don't think I could even type that fast if I knew all the words. How can you tell if someone is cheating?

Comment

When the cream of our crop are being outscored to the extremes that PumpkinEater has, it's pretty obvious, and actually not humanly possible. I would hope that everyone can remember not to let the cheaters irk you...Admin deals with it swiftly and you can score some karma points by just, in the nicest, calmest possible way, pity anyone who finds some gratification in doing it.

Comment

The username suggests to me the member isn't trying to hide the cheating. I haven't come across any boards PumpkinEater has played (read: entered into a boggle solver) but I would be annoyed that the previous legitmate highscores were wiped out by a bot.

Comment

Originally posted by Binkie123 View Post
              Just out of curiosity - how is it possible to cheat? I'm fairly new at this game, and not particularly good. I can't see how it's done!
              It's actually quite simple. The perfect bot loads a board and reads the statistics to see if it's worth playing. If not, the board is skipped. Then the board is selected and the bot reads the layout. There are several ways to find all the words (or just dump the whole dictionary) -- it's as though a human were typing the characters in. At the end, if there are 600 total words on the board, the bot will have found all or nearly all of them. Most cheaters can finish the board well before the time limit, and so then just submit the board and start a new one. The few times the cheater has been willing to talk about WHY, it comes down to (1) School project; (2) To see if it could be done; (3) Hate/contempt for people who play such games; (4) Why not?

Comment

The account was banned and, yeah, it looks like the name doesn't appear in any monthly scores.

Sorry about that! I did not know until seeing this thread that there was a monthly competition. I had no intention to take away any awards/achievements in the competition. I just saw some of the all time high scores and averages and took it as a coding challenge to top them (those are clearly bot scores as well).

If I continue to mess around with my boggle program (just for the fun of optimization) I'll be sure to play the games while not logged in, it looks like no scores or new words on boards are saved that way.

Thanks for calling it out, great on the community to spot it within 24 hours of me creating the account and blast it away, I hope I didnt ruffle too many feathers.

Best of luck in the competition, anyone on the leaderboard at all is 100% better than me at actually playing Boggle, have fun Boggling, and Merry Christmas / Happy Holidays!

Comment

Originally posted by FormerPumpkinEater View Post
                  The account was banned and, yeah, it looks like the name doesn't appear in any monthly scores.

Sorry about that! I did not know until seeing this thread that there was a monthly competition. I had no intention to take away any awards/achievements in the competition. I just saw some of the all time high scores and averages and took it as a coding challenge to top them (those are clearly bot scores as well).

If I continue to mess around with my boggle program (just for the fun of optimization) I'll be sure to play the games while not logged in, it looks like no scores or new words on boards are saved that way.

Thanks for calling it out, great on the community to spot it within 24 hours of me creating the account and blast it away, I hope I didnt ruffle too many feathers.

Best of luck in the competition, anyone on the leaderboard at all is 100% better than me at actually playing Boggle, have fun Boggling, and Merry Christmas / Happy Holidays!
                  What a stand-up guy! Thanks for the explanation, and happy holidays, merry Christmas and everything else to you!

Comment

Originally posted by FormerPumpkinEater View Post

This is a great response! I suspected you might have been testing a solver, but I wondered if you realised you didn't need an account to try it out and also wouldn't be logging any scores. Thanks for your honesty. Merry Christmas / Happy Holidays to you!

Comment

Stand-up guy, really???? Keep in mind this clown is now in first place on the all time 5 x 5 average list. The admin was able to remove his monthly stats but his lifetime stats stand, likely forever. Brian, keep in mind that you were a top 30 all- time average player on the 5 x 5 side—because of this idiot’s “development” now you are not and he has also pushed me farther down the list. Perhaps stats are not that important to you but I suspect they are based on some of your previous posts.

Had I not notified the admin of his little endeavor, in less than 24 hours he would have taken out top average, top words per game, and top points per game on BOTH 4 x 4 and 5 x 5.......I hardly think this is fair to all the other players here and also doubt his insistence that he was unaware that this is a monthly competition. The landing page has a very prominent competition timer displayed..............just my two cents but I’ve seen so many of these cheats over the years and they’re detracting from the integrity of not only the stats and competition but also the efforts of the honest players. I hardly think we should be feeding this troll........

Comment

So, Former Pumpkin Eater....thanks for what we hope is a legitimate response. (If so, stop reading here, Merry Christmas!).

if not:

umm.. you are at least capable of google diagnosing yourself (as are a lot of us, which we have, but have all managed to achieve some cognisance of neurotypical responses), and therefore...take this on board...RULE: Research properly...observe what is right in front of you...it's all there...

If you need some type of "psychological salary", you probably picked the wrong place, coding a boggle solver is BIT 101, we start teaching coding in kindergarten....there are plenty of places, probably near the "last page" of the interwebs, where you can find like minded people...

I come here as a form of: relaxation, therapy, basking in the aura of people smarter than me...we are all Wordtwisters because it makes us happy/feel good/a self reward system/whatevs...but the commonality is EVERYONE IS REALLY NICE. Life Goals.

Darling Wordtwisters...thank you all for an entertaining year....you are definitely keepers!

xxxx Di

Comment

This puzzle's stats:
                          Usage All 4 5 6 7 8 9+
                          Common: 287 87 82 61 31 14 12
                          Wide: 122 23 28 38 16 12 5
                          Rare: 80 26 13 18 12 9 2
                          Ultra Rare: 283 46 92 70 40 18 17
                          Played: 3 times
                          High Score: 4932 points by PumpkinEater
                          Most Words: 741 words by PumpkinEater
                          Best Word: 26 points by PumpkinEater
                          Longest Word: 14 letters by PumpkinEater

Still going on or residual games that no one wants to play since they are now tainted?

Sad.

Comment

Peter, Peter, Pumpkin Eater,
                            Had a Wife,
                            But couldn't keep her,
                            Put her in a Pumpkin Shell,
                            And there he kept her, very well.

Doubly sad.

Comment

Originally posted by RussDNails View Post
                              Keep in mind this clown is now in first place on the all time 5 x 5 average list. The admin was able to remove his monthly stats but his lifetime stats stand, likely forever.
                              It seems to me that maybe there should be a minimum number of games played to qualify for the all-time lists. It takes at least 50 games to qualify for a monthly average score list, so shouldn't the all-time list require something more than that?

What if it took 250 completed games to make it into the hall of fame? Something like that might be a reasonable threshold. Seems like the hall of fame should reward some degree of longevity and not just a quick appearance by someone who cheats a few times and then leaves.

Anyway, it's just an idea.

Comment

Working...
                              X