They got, I got

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• They got, I got

Some games are abysmal for me. It seems like I can't see anything even when there are 300, 400, or 500+ words to find. Not that I really care and sometimes it makes me laugh. I thought it might be fun to show the best word or longest word that the record holder got and what you got. To begin:

They got: RENATIONALIZATION - 35 POINTS

I got: NAZE - 9 points

Now it's your turn

At last, a thread for those of us who strive for average! They got deindustrializations for 41 pts, I got trails for 5.

Comment

Not going to post as almost all my games look like that.

Comment

Actually, all I have to do is play a board where the previous high scoring word was attained by one of our resident experts (spike, lalatan, etc.). I haven't tied or passed their score in months -- probably since last March, anyway. If they score 40+, I'm usually around 12 or 14 and if I get really lucky I'll get 20 something. I have found that actually looking for a word to match one of theirs is a sure way to tank my point total.

Comment

Originally posted by bwt1213 View Post
          Actually, all I have to do is play a board where the previous high scoring word was attained by one of our resident experts (spike, lalatan, etc.). I haven't tied or passed their score in months -- probably since last March, anyway. If they score 40+, I'm usually around 12 or 14 and if I get really lucky I'll get 20 something. I have found that actually looking for a word to match one of theirs is a sure way to tank my point total.
          Hahaha - I do the same thing, especially with lalatan's l-o-n-g words.

Comment

They got METHANES, I got CHLOROFLUOROMETHANES ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Comprehensive reading and finding words are two different things....

Comment

I play the "They got, I got" game by parts of words instead of points. For example, currerbell got DEPENDABILITY. I found DEPEND, and ABLE, but not ABILITY, and certainly not DEPENDABILITY. That's a "tie game". If I'd found DEPEND and ABILITY, I'd count it as a win.

Comment

Originally posted by DonGuy47 View Post
                  I play the "They got, I got" game by parts of words instead of points. For example, currerbell got DEPENDABILITY. I found DEPEND, and ABLE, but not ABILITY, and certainly not DEPENDABILITY. That's a "tie game". If I'd found DEPEND and ABILITY, I'd count it as a win.
                  Nice twist, DonGuy47.

Comment

Originally posted by JJBeanie View Post

Hahaha - I do the same thing, especially with lalatan's l-o-n-g words.
                    I know what you mean. Once in a while I beat lalatan and other record holders, but mostly I pass by the games he's played because it feels as if all the juice has already been sucked out of them. Here's my funniest one: I got knits and lalatan got latitudinarianisms! Granted I didn't rack up any points because I spent the whole three minutes trying to find what he found.

Comment

They got: DECOLONISING. I got: LEASING. I tend to play for maximum score / highest number of words, which often means finding lots of short words quickly. I occasionally see longer words too, but not in every game.

Comment

Originally posted by mdyak View Post

Here's my funniest one: I got knits and lalatan got latitudinarianisms! Granted I didn't rack up any points because I spent the whole three minutes trying to find what he found.
                        Strangely, the game I played after reading your post I noticed -tudinarianisms but none of the usual suspects were there: alti-, plati- or lati-. I had lots of time left so I just started typing random syllables that were available. VALETUDINARIANISMS was accepted for 34 pts. Lexic.us defines it as "the state of being weak in health or body (especially from old age)." This was just after I talked with my wife about how her father-in-law looked old and unhealthy. Not the first time it has seemed this game is eavesdropping on my life.
                        Happy New Year everyone.

Comment

I generally play for new best or longest words (& keep the board only if they're worth enough). Those can be rare, so to keep it interesting along the way, I play my own version of "They got, I got." If the longest previously-found word is 14+ letters, I at least try to match the word length or score. A downside is that I throw away the board if I fail, so I never know the "They got" part. This is really just for personal satisfaction (or dissatisfaction) and I use it to kind of gauge how well my mind is working on a particular day. Today so far, out of 16 boards with 14+ letter words, I beat one, failed on 3, and matched the rest. I consider that maybe a little above average for me.

I think it's been a few months since I beat lalatan, and I've failed a number of times. I think he's gotten better over time, or I've gotten worse, or some of both.

Comment

Oh, here's an excellent example of a Loss: RedFoxEscapes got FOOTBALLERS. I did not get FOOT, or BALL, or even ERS. Fail!

Comment

Okay, after all of this they got "compartmentalizations" and the singular. And I got the same thing, matching Lakoda122. To make up for it, I unaccountably missed compartment, compartmental, mental, and every other word subsumed in the long word I found. No, I didn't run out of time. I just didn't think of any of them. I think that once I'd made the big score, I just mentally crossed that whole series of letters off.

Comment

Working...
                              X