Bug? High-point words losing points

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bug? High-point words losing points

I've noticed an odd behavior with very-high-point (40+) words that show up with one point value while the game is being played but then end up with a lower point value when the game is finished and scored. It's happened in the past and then it happened to me twice yesterday.

In the first example, on one board I played REINSTITUTIONALIZATIONS for 47 points and REINSTITUTIONALIZATION for 45 points, and my total score while I was on the game screen was 92.

But when the game finished and went to the summary screen, my total score shrank to 90 and both words showed as having been worth 45 points.

In the other example, I played DISPROPORTINABLENESSES for 44 points and DISPROPORTIONABLENESS for 40 points. My total on the game screen was 84, but on the summary screen it shrank to 82 and DISPROPORTIONABLENESSES was awarded only 42 points instead of 44.

It's not a big deal, but I was wondering if it is some kind of bug that could be easily fixed. I've only seen this on 5x5 boards, so I don't know if there's a similar problem with shrinkage for high-point 4x4 words.

Anyone else notice this happening?

That's because words do have an artificial max word score that doesn't show up during play, but does show up after the board is submitted. Without special letters (Q, Z, X, K and J), the max score is 42. Adding in special letter scores, the max is 45. This can be misleading, but it's been this way for as long as I've been playing.

Comment

Originally posted by Spike1007 View Post
      That's because words do have an artificial max word score that doesn't show up during play, but does show up after the board is submitted. Without special letters (Q, Z, X, K and J), the max score is 42. Adding in special letter scores, the max is 45. This can be misleading, but it's been this way for as long as I've been playing.
      Thanks for the explanation! I wonder if it can be adjusted so that the max score and the display score are the same. Not a must-have, but perhaps a nice-to-have :-)

Comment

I agree. Even though I know this, to my dismay I still occasionally accept a board based on the display score rather than the adjusted score.

Comment

Working...
        X