No announcement yet.

New dictionary and new boards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NEWBOARDSNEWBOARDSNEWBOARDSNEWBOARDS!!! Thank you so much! I'm unreasonably excited.

Comment

It occurs to me that soon we will go through a long period where there are NO new boards. And then there will be a baby boom.

Comment

STRONGHANDED is not in dictionary, although STRONGHANDEDNESS and STRONGHANDEDNESSES are. This seems like another set to check.

Comment

I'm not sure if this was a change with the new boards, or because I moved to a new computer.... I can't find the place to turn off the sound effects. help!

Comment

Mobile play has sound effects, some earlier versions don't. I just stick with version 1, good enough for me, no sound effects--can't find any settings to change.
            I just found CHIMERICALNESSES and CHIMERICALNESS, apparently new, although CHIMERICAL I think was in the old dictionary.

Comment

This morning I noticed that a lot more boards were showing up as "new" and almost all the remainder had been played only once or twice. I've been on long enough to eliminate the possibility that it's just chance, so either we got a large dump of more new boards or every board that had a score of more than 600 posted on it was pruned and has not yet returned. It could be both, of course. I do notice that the boards that I do see seem to be rather unpromising ones for high scores -- low numbers of words, not many long words, etc.

Comment

The new dictionary still doesn't have NAGE.

Comment

... or RENORMALIZE but does have RENORMALIZATION(S).

Comment

Originally posted by BoggleOtaku View Post
                    ... or RENORMALIZE but does have RENORMALIZATION(S).
                    I've checked the three boards that currently have "RENORMALIZATIONS" in them, and it looks like none of them can legitimately make RENORMALIZE (in each case because either the only available R or the E is already in usage earlier in the word). Please double check me though:

LAIIN
                    JTZOL
                    SRENA
                    OIRMO
                    EOFRL

APNQO
                    EAZNV
                    TIOEZ
                    LIRNS
                    AMROY

AZRLA
                    TEIMA
                    NIRNN
                    SOORS
                    ESFTU

The new dictionary still doesn't have NAGE.
                    NAGE is not in either SOWPODS or CSW19.

STRONGHANDED is not in dictionary, although STRONGHANDEDNESS and STRONGHANDEDNESSES are. This seems like another set to check.
                    This one is definitely not in the dictionary (STRONGHANDED) and will be added, since their longer versions (-NESS and -NESSES) have been included. This is one of those cases where the short version is 15 letters or shorter (where we rely on CSW19, so STRONGHANDED is not a word), but the longer versions are 16 letters or longer (where we've had to rely on other, non-standardized dictionaries, since CSW19 cuts off at 15 letters). Our policy will be to add these special-case words in manually as we find them.

Thanks!
                    If you enjoy our puzzles, please consider upgrading to a premium account to remove all ads and help support us financially. Thanks for your support!

Comment

Originally posted by bwt1213 View Post
                      This morning I noticed that a lot more boards were showing up as "new" and almost all the remainder had been played only once or twice. I've been on long enough to eliminate the possibility that it's just chance, so either we got a large dump of more new boards or every board that had a score of more than 600 posted on it was pruned and has not yet returned. It could be both, of course. I do notice that the boards that I do see seem to be rather unpromising ones for high scores -- low numbers of words, not many long words, etc.
                      I'm pretty sure it's just down to chance. I've disabled board pruning for the next month or so until 99% of boards have statistics, and nothing new was added this week.
                      If you enjoy our puzzles, please consider upgrading to a premium account to remove all ads and help support us financially. Thanks for your support!

Comment

Originally posted by admin View Post

I'm pretty sure it's just down to chance. I've disabled board pruning for the next month or so until 99% of boards have statistics, and nothing new was added this week.
                        I was on for about two hours and probably saw a hundred boards, but something that has only a 1% probability of happening still does happen about 1% of the time. When I checked later, everything seemed normal again. But it was really amazing -- board after board not played or played just once, and all of them looking really dismal, and not boards that players like lalatan or Spike would have tackled (no ultra-rare words longer than 7 or 8 letters, besides having less than 100 ultra rare or common words). Unusual things do happen sometimes, and I guess this was one for me.

Comment

It's likely I tried to reuse the E, didn't check... Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by lalatan View Post
                            Wow, wow, WOW, Stephen. I am extremely sorry!
                            Now I honestly don't even know if I should bother to continue playing here.
                            Was this a diversion, so I'd think my Average Points Per Word scores were indeed dominating and secure, and I'd never see it coming when your alternate account swooped in at the last instant?

Well played.

Comment

Let me explain a few things. First, this is just a game. Second, it is (1) bad form and (2) seeing/creating enemies where none exist (hence, "bad form"). Third, if those are your feelings, no one else needs to see them. I think it was Oscar Wilde who said, regarding university faculty disagreements, "if they weren't so petty, they wouldn't have been half so vicious". Having been in a university setting for a number of years, I think Oscar was an optimist. But that need not spread here. Please don't do that. No, I don't hate you. No, I'm not trying to create an enemy. Take a deep breath and say again: "this is just a game". Exhale. Repeat as needed.

Comment

I've been having a blast with all the new boards, getting to set lots of longest word and highest scoring word records, and finding all sorts of long words I haven't seen before. Thank you! The only problem is that it is HIGHLY addictive. I for one will be happier once all the new boards have been played a lot more times since this is like video catnip.

Comment

Working...
                                X