Computer misbehaving

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Computer misbehaving

This is really odd, and I can't find anything about it anywhere. It started when I tried to load WordTwist. The screen just froze, with the little swirly thing. I tried to bring up task manager, but I got another swirly thing. Nothing would run at all and the three-finger salute did nothing. Ended up turning the computer off. When I brought it back up, it was very slow, and things were missing. The time display says "11:" No minutes. Tried to load my word processor. The file list shows no names, no sizes, and no dates. If I try to load a file, it says it did. But nothing displays on the screen. I tried playing WordTwist again. Everything worked fine here, but almost nothing else does. If I load task manager, the box comes up and every bit of text and numeric data is missing, but it looks like it's otherwise running correctly. I looked on line for help, but I couldn't find anything at all similar to what I'm seeing. Any suggestions?

In Firefox when I click on Start Game, it will just sit on Loading and won't start. I can paste the web address into Edge and the game will come up. This has been happening for 3 days.

Comment

bwt1213 - Sorry to hear that! I'm not an expert with these things but it sounds like a problem either at the OS level or with Windows Explorer (if you're on Windows). Try rebooting your computer into safe mode and see if that fixes anything. Failing that, you may want to try running a malware scan (I recommend malwarebytes.com, it's free) or a system restore. Here's how to reboot into safe mode if you're on Windows 10:

iBnutz - I suspect there's a corrupted file in your Firefox cache, if everything works fine in Edge. Try emptying your Firefox cache and that should fix it:

The Firefox cache temporarily stores parts of websites you visit. Learn how to clear it to fix issues with how websites work or look.
      If you enjoy our puzzles, please consider upgrading to a premium account to remove all ads and help support us financially. Thanks for your support!

Comment

Thanks admin. That worked

Comment

Admin: I suspect that a system resource didn't load, loaded improperly, or that memory was corrupted and disabled the resource. I rebooted my system twice, and the second time everything worked properly. The really odd thing was that everything displayed properly in Yahoo! and within WordTwist. But in OpenOffice, no text displayed at all, even on the opening window. The directory did not display any file names, sizes, dates, or captions. Task manager similarly displayed no text, but the various areas that would display processes and usage levels were colored differently. Again, there were no captions, either. So, what resource was involved? Everything WordTwist used worked. Yahoo worked. There has to be some sense to it, but I don't know enough about Windows to say. I'm running AVG antivirus and it reports that there are no problems, but I'll try Malwarebytes and let you know. This is just so very odd. And thank you for your assistance -- this is outside the scope of your job, and I appreciate it.

Comment

Malwarebytes locked my computer up tight as a drum. Only a power-off restart got me back on line, and it took forever. Not your fault, just fyi. Now trying to uninstall it. That turns out to be not easy, too.

Comment

Very odd. Malwarebytes has saved my bacon at least twice in the last 10 years. Sorry for the hassle!
              If you enjoy our puzzles, please consider upgrading to a premium account to remove all ads and help support us financially. Thanks for your support!

Comment

Working...
              X