Anybody know how to get rid of this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody know how to get rid of this?

Anybody know how to get rid of the "search tabs" icon on the border on Chrome? This is driving me nuts, it must have shown up with a Chrome update as I've never seen this before. The hyphen icon for minimizing the window, squares icon for shrinking or expanding window and X icon have always been there and are fairly unobtrusive. This new icon (the one on the far left in my posted image) has a big white ring around it and is very distracting. I'm fairly tech savvy and even a simple Google search is not give me any leads on how to eliminate this new icon........may not be possible but if anybody has any ideas I'd appreciate the help........

Thanks,

Russ
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.

I hadn't seen that until I updated Chrome. I looked in Settings and don't see a way to hide it, unfortunately. Maybe we just have to get used to it.

Comment

Thanks for the reply--so you see it too?

It's weird, I'm only seeing this on my laptop...............I just updated Chrome on my desktop and that icon does not appear.......

Best,

Russ

P.S. I'm also wondering why the title of my thread doesn't appear on the Forums sidebar on the Wordtwist home page? Not sure if I've ever started a thread before but I thought I did it right, posted "Anybody know how to get rid of this?" in the title section of New Thread of the Wordtwist forum.....
      Last edited by RussDNails; 03-18-2021, 10:04 PM.

Comment

I only use a laptop and I'm seeing it here. Weird. I don't know how useful that thing would be.

I thought it was strange that the title of this thread isn't showing on the sidebar. It took a bit of doing for me to get here to reply -- I couldn't just click on the sidebar thingy. I don't think you did anything wrong. Maybe it's a Chrome glitch.

Cathy

Comment

Thanks again for replying Cathy--this at least reassures me it's not a virus which was my first thought when I saw it pop up when I opened Chrome on my laptop this evening. I really don't see much use for it myself as well............you might be right about the thread title also being a Chrome glitch, I have no idea really. I seem to be having no luck with computers today.

So much for being tech savvy

Cheers,

Russ

Comment

My computer hung yesterday while I was running File Explorer so I had to pull the power cord to force a cold boot. After everything came back (yay!) I noticed the eight ball icon. I recalled that there was a Chrome upgrade waiting for me to ok it. (I don't always do so right away. Happens too often IMO.) So when I restarted the computer it also upgraded Chrome.

P.S. Congrats on scoring a 48 pt word this month. I joined the club last night.
            Last edited by lalatan; 03-19-2021, 03:22 PM.

Comment

Hey Lalatan--nice to hear from you, it's been a while! It's good to know the "eight ball" (that's a good way to describe it) isn't part of a virus--until I heard from Cathy aka bionicflutist I really thought I might have infected my laptop somehow.........I'm still not sure why my thread title doesn't appear on the forum sidebar and it also doesn't update when someone posts a reply. It was while before I thought to click on it again and was happy to see your reply.

Your word is better than mine--you don't see many words with two Qs in them........very impressive.........

BTW, I was proud of myself for making a very simple but unique word in that it has no vowels. All these years of playing Wordtwist, tons of crossword puzzles and other word games and I never did this before. Only 4 letters but still there are very few words in any language without a vowel. Oh yeah, the word was PSST. It means exactly what it sounds like--the sound you make when you're trying to get someone's attention.

Thanks again for the reply and more reassurance my laptop isn't infected!

Cheers,

Russ

Comment

As I said in my reply to bionicflutist, I don't know that I've ever started a thread before. I clicked on Forum>Wordtwist>New Topic and typed "Anybody know how to get rid of this?" in the title field.

I was hoping the admin might chime in and let me know why this happened but if you have any ideas let me know--I'm pretty sure I've seen you start threads before? If it's not going to work I'd be hesitant to even try starting a new thread again.........
                Last edited by RussDNails; 03-20-2021, 03:01 AM.

Comment

It was a bug in my code that was preventing the thread title from showing properly on the main site - should be fixed now.
                  If you enjoy our puzzles, please consider upgrading to a premium account to remove all ads and help support us financially. Thanks for your support!

Comment

Nice, thanks Stephen! My thread is in fact showing up as it should on the forum sidebar..........

Cheers,

Russ

P.S. Now teach me how to get rid of that stupid icon on my Chrome border
                    Last edited by RussDNails; 03-20-2021, 03:22 AM.

Comment

If anyone is interested I figured it out--go here and follow the simple directions:

Works like a charm, search tabs icon from Chrome border is gone!

The new Google Chrome Tab Search feature is turning out to be a cause of bother for some users and here's a way to disable it.

Comment

Thanks Russ! I suppose the search tabs feature is good for folks like my wife who have umpteen tabs open. I max out at 5 personally.
                        Last edited by lalatan; 03-20-2021, 02:51 PM.

Comment

I use firefox, and this is what my upper-right corner looks like right now. The green arrow and gift-with-blue-dot both mean an "upgrade" is waiting for me to reboot to install. Gift icon! Do they really think "upgrades" are their gifts to the world? Or do they know that everyone hates them, and they think calling them gifts will trick us?
                          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by lalatan View Post
                            Thanks Russ! I suppose the search tabs feature is good for folks like my wife who have umpteen tabs open. I max out at 5 personally.
                            Tabs? As in "run more than one thing at a time"? I think I might sometimes do two, as in "word processor and Wordtwist". But that's rare. Just one, please.

Comment

Re: Dictionary Inconsistency? (Can't find thread names)
                              I just typed "electrophysicists," which was credited, and "electrophysicist," which wasn't.

Comment

Working...
                              X