Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alternate but frustrating way to play boards with 1 prior play

Hi All!

I've had a way that I challenge myself whenever I would come across boards with just a single prior play. I would specifically look for boards where that one prior player had a relatively lower number of points and words (say less than 125 points and 30 words on a 4x4 board), then play it with the aim of playing every single word that they had. This sounds like it might not be too difficult, but I just couldn't get it done with any board, no matter how few words that person before me had played.

With February's reset of the boards, it gave me a chance to play a lot of boards with just a single play, but again it was one close call after another. A couple of dynamics seem to come into play, including the tendency of each of our brains to go looking for our own unique set of tried and trusted words. So I would fail on my objective by missing words that weren't necessarily complex or long just because I have perhaps never played them and my brain isn't on the lookout - one example is not playing only the word 'kob' which I don't think I've ever played, even when trying out letter combinations when I've run out of words I know.

Another dynamic that became more obvious after the reset is the number of players whose key or only aim is to find long, complex words. I took a screen shot (that I'll include if I can) of the most notable example of this where I played 95 words without finding the one word played by the prior person - assemblies.

So I was trying and failing to kill my white whale throughout February and eventually moved on to another game to kill spare time. I started playing again a little bit this past week and was stunned to actually accomplish my goal on a board where the prior player had 80 points and 23 words. Even here, it was a close shave, insofar as I found myself with time at the end to type possible letter combos and came up with slopy, which I didn't recognize as a word.

Anyway, I thought I would share this method of play in light of the high availability of once-played boards and see if anyone else might play the game in this same way? And if so, what's your highest score and word count? I myself don't have a lot of confidence in beating 80/23 anytime soon, but perhaps with luck I could get something as high as 100/30 some day.

John

P.S. I'll also include a screen shot of a board where there was exactly zero overlap between my 112 words and the prior player's 9 words. This was fantastically improbable in its own different way.

Edit - couldn't figure out how to get a full-sized image posted using either of two options, and I don't know if it's kosher to link to imgur?? https://imgur.com/a/beluV51
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.
    Last edited by JohnAkaMrP; 03-21-2021, 05:06 PM.

Good job, John. Unfortunately, I've never been good at figuring out what other people are thinking. The single play games I've done I'm very lucky to find half the words the previous player did.

Comment

Yours sounds somewhat like the version I proposed a long time ago -- find absolutely no new words and set the high score on a board played the fewest times. The perfect version of that game would require a board that had been played twice before; if it had been played only once and you found no new words you couldn't have the highest score.

Comment

Working...
      X