The Pensieve cannot help me here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Pensieve cannot help me here

I just spent half of a game typing and retyping in the word "dementor" and wondering why it was not accepted. I kept thinking it was my typing error. No, the problem was that it is only a word in the world of Harry Potter.

Give it time. "jedi" is accepted, although it's only a word in the world of Star Wars.

Comment

Ooo, if I were the latest editor of this dictionary... I'd be looking over my shoulder, just saying

Comment

Possibly interesting, or maybe not...Jedi has become a word in popular vernacular, to describe someone who has the characeteristics, or aspires to have the characteristics, of a Star Wars Jedi, in a non-Star Wars context. It can be used in a similar way to "ninja"...I have a friend who is described as a CAD ninja...

Dementor will probably gain the same status at some point...I know the young "adults" in my home use it as an insult...and there is nothing magical or Harry Potterish around here.

Comment

Originally posted by currerbell View Post
          I just spent half of a game typing and retyping in the word "dementor" and wondering why it was not accepted. I kept thinking it was my typing error. No, the problem was that it is only a word in the world of Harry Potter.
          That's funny because the same thing has happened to me! I typed DEMENTOR over and over, wondering why it wasn't registering, before realizing it isn't a word in the non-wizarding world :-D

Comment

"dementor" isn't accepted yet, but two other Harry Potter words are: "muggle" and "quidditch".

Comment

"Muggle" has been around a while, and actually predated Harry Potter. The books just absorbed an existing term, though I'm not sure how many dictionaries had it prior to HP.

Comment

Food names are another interesting adoption area. LEFSE not accepted.

Comment

And there is hope for DEMENTOR after all! I will keep trying. The Force will be with me. (Yeah, kinda lame, but it's 4:23 AM.)

Screen Shot 2021-04-14 at 4.18.22 AM.png

Comment

I often have a similar problem - I try typing usernames that I see frequently, mostly from a couple of other message boards I am very active on. Sometimes it even works! - after all, people sometimes adopt real but obscure words for their online monikers.

Comment

Ha!

I've tried INSTAIN, which comes from the old "How is babby formed?" meme. Also, TROGDOR, from Strong Bad Email.

Comment

Working...
                      X