Is this really random?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this really random?

I have seen a suspicious number of puzzles that more or less start with the beginning of the alphabet, but this one takes the cake: ABC.jpg

Definitely not. I also have noticed that a huge number of boards start with ABC.

Comment

hmmm, I wonder if the English alphabet is secretly trying to take over the world? oh, my! Hang on...that's a good thing from where I sit, although from your perspective I'm probably a bit upside down. (for context, not the upsidedown bit, but the randomness, I was involved in making poker machines (one arm bandits), and I've totally given up explaining how the software works, and that there is no such thing as "lucky" machines). Poker machines imitate life, so do all things with an element of "chance". (For a little more insight, in my state all of the poker machines are linked, and there is a government mandate that 20 per cent of the money running through them be returned to the punters, so the "jackpot" could go to any venue, putting paid to the theory that it makes a difference if there are few or many punters at any given venue. There is also a percentage that doesn't go to the jackpots, those little teasers that keep people playing until they have spent their grocery money...).

In kinder news, ";they" have slowed down the alphabet song at the "L, M, N, O, P" bit, so das kinder recognises them as separate letters.

Comment

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and insights on the topic of chance and randomness. It's interesting to hear about your experience in making poker machines and the government mandate in your state regarding the return of money to punters. I agree that there's no such thing as a "lucky" machine and that chance is just a part of life. I advise you to try only proven resources. I can recommend Blazzio. But in any case, luck will still play a more important role. And the main thing in everything to know the measure and time to stop
        Last edited by BrettBrown; 04-04-2023, 03:00 AM.

Comment

I don't know that it's a mandate, but in Las Vegas the 1-cent slots return 90.2% of the money wagered, 5-cent slots 94.4%, 25-cent slots 91.8%, and dollar slots 93.3%. Slots that pay out only 20% are truly one-armed bandits. Circus Circus advertises that their machines pay out 97.4%. The higher the payout, the more incentive to keep playing and the more profit.

Comment

Working...
          X