No announcement yet.

Unique Words I've Learned

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The local hospital sent their newsletter & I was browsing through it when I found a super-long-word & it made wonder if someone (maybe lalatan) had used it:

cholangiopancreatography is a procedure used to diagnose & treat problems in the liver, gallbladder, bile ducts & pancreas. It combines X-ray & the use of an endoscope. Its supposed to be less invasive than major surgery, can be performed on an out-patient bases with immediate relief from symptoms of gall-pancreatic duct stones, strictures & bile duct leaks after gallbladder removal. It also is used to help those w/pancreas diseases.

Comment

• That's a nice 24-letter word, which had better come up "ultra-rare". I have a sneaking feeling that lalatan probably has that on mental speed-dial right now. He may already have known it. And if not him, then Spike or Folkslinger.

Comment

• Interesting word, 2cute. bwt, I haven't seen it before. If it had been in a board I probably would have noticed the -angiopancreatography part of the word but not the chol-. I looked up the etymology of the word and it says that cholangio- is a prefix for "relating to the bile duct." One more prefix to remember now. haha

As I wrote before, it can take a very long time to see a word you already know in a puzzle. 2 years ago, when the 25 ltr words were released, MegaWord played PANCREATICODUODENOSTOMIES. So I memorized it and have been on the lookout for it ever since. Still haven't seen it in any board I've played.

I played a pretty unique medical term this morning: OOPHORECTOMIZED (31/15), surgical removal of 1 or both ovaries.
        Last edited by lalatan; 03-28-2023, 02:55 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by lalatan View Post
          Interesting word, 2cute. bwt, I haven't seen it before. If it had been in a board I probably would have noticed the -angiopancreatography part of the word but not the chol-. I looked up the etymology of the word and it says that cholangio- is a prefix for "relating to the bile duct." One more prefix to remember now. haha

As I wrote before, it can take a very long time to see a word you already know in a puzzle. 2 years ago, when the 25 ltr words were released, MegaWord played PANCREATICODUODENOSTOMIES. So I memorized it and have been on the lookout for it ever since. Still haven't seen it in any board I've played.

I played a pretty unique medical term this morning: OOPHORECTOMIZED (31/15), surgical removal of 1 or both ovaries.
          Ouch!

I hope you find it in a puzzle lalatan & thanks bwt1213, you may be right Spike or Folkslinger may find it first, then we'll know how rare is its definition.

Comment

• Originally posted by 2cute View Post
            Ouch!
            That's what I thought about the procedure after playing the word. But, my first wife and her sister were both hysterectomized many years ago and after they healed they felt much better.

I found another unique one for you today: HEXADACTYLOUS (26/13) meaning "having 6 fingers or toes." I know left-handed people sometimes struggle to find products for them but people with hexadactyly throughout history (before safe surgery was commonly available) must have had even more problems getting items to fit. But, maybe it wasn't so bad because most things were made by hand back then.
            Last edited by lalatan; 03-29-2023, 02:49 PM.

Comment

That's what I thought about the procedure after playing the word. But, my first wife and her sister were both hysterectomized many years ago and after they healed they felt much better.

I found another unique one for you today: HEXADACTYLOUS (26/13) meaning "having 6 fingers or toes." I know left-handed people sometimes struggle to find products for them but people with hexadactyly throughout history (before safe surgery was commonly available) must have had even more problems getting items to fit. But, maybe it wasn't so bad because most things were made by hand back then.
              I think I might like to be hexadactylous if I could get that 6th finger to help me type faster

Comment

Great word finds.

Been watching the basketball tournaments. Which makes me think...

Just played a game again where you had gotten some crazy word that had to be unique to that board. Recognized the word--too late. So I knew I'd played it. And the results made me pretty sure that I managed to put it into recycle mode for a second time--it only had a couple of plays. You've gotten it twice and now have a third shot.

...which makes me think, "shouldn't there be an assist stat, like in basket ball?" Knocking a board off the rails early is like passing the scoring opportunity to long word players. Otherwise, the game molders for months, waiting for the 41st play to return it to dust--with the longest/best words usually having been played early on.

Somehow doubt that anyone else is going to get that word. Too few plays. Too strange. Can't even bring it to memory. (was going to write it down, but the long word journal was up in the craftroom, and I had convinced myself I'd have no trouble remembering it. Jokes on the guy with failing memory.)

Cracks me up.

Like some weird assembly line for hamsters.

ps: think one of my goals next month will be to not post anything.

Just keep a golden silence...

and a journal.

Comment

• Originally posted by RussDNails View Post

I think I might like to be hexadactylous if I could get that 6th finger to help me type faster
                  It used to be thought that having six fingers was the mark of Satan. Something to do with Lucifer/Zoroastrianism/six fingers being holy. Supposedly a connection with ancient base-60 arithmetic (Sumerian/Assyrian) and therefore 360 degrees in a circle, a dozen of things, and unique names for things up to twelve. All are based on six. And, therefore, anyone with six fingers was killed because they were unholy. I don't know how much of this is true, but it feels right.

Comment

• Yikes, maybe I need to rething this!

Comment

• Originally posted by RussDNails View Post
                      Lol, about this and then rethinking your wish.
                      Originally posted by Naboka View Post
                      ...which makes me think, "shouldn't there be an assist stat, like in basket ball?" Knocking a board off the rails early is like passing the scoring opportunity to long word players. Otherwise, the game molders for months, waiting for the 41st play to return it to dust--with the longest/best words usually having been played early on.

Somehow doubt that anyone else is going to get that word. Too few plays. Too strange. Can't even bring it to memory. (was going to write it down, but the long word journal was up in the craftroom, and I had convinced myself I'd have no trouble remembering it. Jokes on the guy with failing memory.)

Cracks me up.

Like some weird assembly line for hamsters.

ps: think one of my goals next month will be to not post anything.

Just keep a golden silence...

and a journal.
                      ​Yes, I realized some time ago that I am dependent on high score players to recycle games. So I publicly thank all of you game recylcers for enhancing my enjoyment of playing this game, i.e. less clicking through games and more playing.

If your mind works like mine, the next time you see the word in that board you'll likely remember it, especially if you saw it more than once.

I'd rather you keep writing on the forum. You provide a lot of tasty spice in the WordTwist banquet of words.
                      Last edited by lalatan; 03-30-2023, 05:50 PM.

Comment

• I thought 360 degrees in a circle to help early design/construction because it has so many integer factors can be divided up many ways.

Comment

• Originally posted by BoggleOtaku View Post
                          I thought 360 degrees in a circle to help early design/construction because it has so many integer factors can be divided up many ways.
                          Actually, the 360 degrees happened really early. The Sumerians used base-60 arithmetic with separate names for the numbers from 1 to 60. Perhaps 60 was picked because it factored so easily, but their religion did revere people with six digits on their hands. I find it difficult to imagine people who would have a language so completely built around a base-60 arithmetic, but there it is. And six 60s is 360. The thing spread, so there are 60 seconds per minute, 60 minutes per hour, 24 hours a day, a dozen things. unique names for numbers up to 12 in English, German, and a number of other languages (ten, eleven, twelve; zehn, elf, zwolf -- sorry, it needs an umlaut). This thing with six is not universal, however. In Korean and Chinese, the unique names stop at ten, and then continue with "one and ten, two and ten, etc.). Latin is thoroughly base-10, too.

Comment

• Maybe the engineers building pyrimids and stonehenges and sundials used 60 and 360 because of their practicality, and then later people started worshiping it because they didn't know why it originated in the first place. Hmmm, might make a good movie script or Star Trek episode.

Comment

• Originally posted by BoggleOtaku View Post
                              Maybe the engineers building pyrimids and stonehenges and sundials used 60 and 360 because of their practicality, and then later people started worshiping it because they didn't know why it originated in the first place. Hmmm, might make a good movie script or Star Trek episode.
                              Sumeria came long before the pyramids. Egypt wasn't even a thing then.

Comment

Lol, about this and then rethinking your wish.

​Yes, I realized some time ago that I am dependent on high score players to recycle games. So I publicly thank all of you game recylcers for enhancing my enjoyment of playing this game, i.e. less clicking through games and more playing.

If your mind works like mine, the next time you see the word in that board you'll likely remember it, especially if you saw it more than once.

I'd rather you keep writing on the forum. You provide a lot of tasty spice in the WordTwist banquet of words.
                                Then, you're welcome.

However, my mind probably works less efficiently than yours. I'm prone to distractions, always wanting to find something new, always trying to link "unlinkable" ideas.

Not to mention, I'm trying to find a hundrd ultra rare words without regard for length, while you play exclusively for the long/best words. Sometimes the long/best words fall out of the bin for me, but usually not.

Since I've seen the described game twice now without seeing your word during play, I'll more likely find it next time. But, no guarantees. The distractions are plentiful.

Thanks for the kind words, but, as for posting, sometimes fasting is healthy. Like the wife keeps reminding me while I deal with kindergarteners and everyone else: "you talk too much and overexplain everything."

I would imagine in a normal world, there will be quite a few who would breath a sigh of relief at having a break from the garrulousnesses.

Comment

Working...
                                X