No announcement yet.

Unique Words I've Learned

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I learned a new word today. In the future, if anyone asks me if I've heard of campanology, I can say that it rings a bell.

Comment

• Originally posted by crazykate View Post
      I learned a new word today. In the future, if anyone asks me if I've heard of campanology, I can say that it rings a bell.
      So my first thought was something to do w/camping ... far from it. And who knew there's a study of bell ringing & casting. Fascinating! Thanks Kate.

Comment

• If anyone can tell me the meaning of 'candlelighted' that would be great. It came up on a board, but I can't find that the word itself exists. Candlelight yes. Adding -ed at the end, no.

Comment

• My guess is that it's a variant of candlelit.

Comment

• Well heck that makes sense. My poor brain is completely embracing it's Friday apparently. ‍♀️

Comment

• There's a famous Liszt piano solo La Campanella that has a high note ringing often like a bell. There's one recording where that's the only note slightly out of tune--unfortunate...

Comment

• SONICATE and SONICATOR -- to sonicate is to use ultrasound to disrupt material. Used to break up biological samples; also used in ultrasonic cleaning.

Comment

• I just found this word. At first all the k's, n's and c's seemed a little daunting to find something but then I recalled this word that I read or heard sometime in the past. It took me 3 attempts to get the correct spelling. Its definition is "A mixture of dried leaves, bark, and sometimes tobacco, smoked by some Native Americans."

25 PTS KINNIKINNICKS.jpg

Comment

• That's a native plant in forests where I grew up (named because for its use as an ingredient in referenced tobacco). I think I've seen that board twice. The first time (Favorite Word) I knew the word was there but couldn't get the spelling in time and the second time got it.

Comment

• I wonder how many plants were smoked before they found 1 they could use? My wondering brought back 1 of my Mom's stories. When she was a child she lived on a homestead. Back in the 1930's smoking was considered glamorous so she thought she and her sister would try smoking the leaves of a plant that grew alongside the road. The leaves looked somewhat like tobacco so they tried it and the results weren't good. The plant had a taproot so they scraped some it off, dried it and then smoked that. It turned out that the plant was wild horseradish. Lol, I never saw her have horseradish all her life. I use it sometimes but not for smoking.

Comment

• Good thing it wasn't nightshade, poison ivy, poison oak, or any of a number of other things. A lot of times, kids are lucky. I could tell you stories, but I won't. I think we all did stuff that now we'd tell you were really, really stupid.

Comment

• Originally posted by bwt1213 View Post
                          Good thing it wasn't nightshade, poison ivy, poison oak, or any of a number of other things. A lot of times, kids are lucky. I could tell you stories, but I won't. I think we all did stuff that now we'd tell you were really, really stupid.
                          When my dad was a little boy, like 2 or 3 years old, he once bit a dog on the nose because it stole his food. He was lucky that the dog was shocked enough to run away instead of biting back.

Comment

• Hey I learned a new word. Not from the game though, I learned it in the hospital back in April. Anaplasmosis. It kicked my butt. A week of "brain fog" was scary (the other symptoms I could deal with). I tried playing Wordtwist a few times and couldn't hit 400 points. At least I knew enough to not drive.

Comment

• Originally posted by dannyb View Post
                              Hey I learned a new word. Not from the game though, I learned it in the hospital back in April. Anaplasmosis. It kicked my butt. A week of "brain fog" was scary (the other symptoms I could deal with). I tried playing Wordtwist a few times and couldn't hit 400 points. At least I knew enough to not drive.
                              From a tickbite?

Comment

• Yes. The tick was where I couldn't see it. Most likely bit here in Connecticut. My wife found it about two and a half days after the bite, after we flew down to New Mexico. She removed the tick. We were out hiking in the desert and she monitored the bite. The redness was fading and I had no symptoms. I flew back home to work on some projects and my wife stayed in New Mexico to visit with her sister. The day after I got home the symptoms started. I went to an Urgent Care Clinic. They said that the bite was too new to test for Lyme disease. They tested me for COVID, flu, strep and gave me amoxycillin as a prophylactic treatment. The symptoms eased a bit, but then increased. Went to the hospital and was diagnosed and put on intravenous doxycicline. My wife flew back from New Mexico and I was released on the third day. Still didn't drive for three days after my release. I am almost 100% now. Red blood cell count still down a bit.

Comment

Working...
                                X