Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wordtwist on steroids--or something to that effect

Screen Shot 2021-09-23 at 10.28.28 PM.png

So, after getting shuffled out of the hospital, I went to the pharmacy (well, actually my wife did on her way to the gym) to get my prescription filled. Eliquis, a blood thinner.

I also vowed to start getting back in shape after spending the pandemic potato couching. Part of getting into shape for me is building more muscle mass, so I started taking creatine. Some studies show that creatine might help cognitive function.

Whatever. Suddenly my games have gone crazy. The previous high score of 432 for this game was held by a person who usually outscores me by a lot. And I beat them by over a hundred points.

Crazy.

Makes me wonder.

But this game is just the tip of the iceberg.

Screen Shot 2021-09-16 at 7.34.39 PM.png

Here's another example of me against myself on a game that I was very happy with when I played it initially.

I beat that score by 158 points!

It's happening more and more, though not on every game. After all, my attention span is about a buck fifty short of a 2 minute game.

Could blood thinners and creatine actually be having that dramatic an impact?

Comment

Originally posted by Naboka View Post

Yes, it can certainly be effecting your brain. Be careful not to overdose.
      Creatine is a quickly available source of energy for muscle contractions and is used to enhance athletic performance. Includes creatine side effects, interactions and indications.

Comment

Originally posted by 2cute View Post

Yes, it can certainly be effecting your brain. Be careful not to overdose.
        Creatine is a quickly available source of energy for muscle contractions and is used to enhance athletic performance. Includes creatine side effects, interactions and indications.

Interesting that the article you referenced suggests avoiding caffeine while taking creatine. A lot of supplements on the market contain both. And in large quantities. Bang Supercreatine contains 300 mg a serving. BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!!!!!!!!!!

Because I've seen people at the gym develop problems from overdoing creatine, I tend to the safer side. Caffeine makes me jittery, so I consume very little.

(On the other hand, maybe if I upped the doses on everything, I could finally score 600 points! Yeah, that's the ticket.)

The thought of being high on caffeine driving me to better scores makes me laugh. I'd be so jittery I couldn't hit the keys accurately. I've been trying to convince myself to remain calm while playing. Getting overly excited just leads to more and more mistakes, thus lower and lower scores.

That's one reason why playing this game can be therapeutic. You get to examine how you handle pressured situations, then figure out how to be more effective. It can be like active meditation. Learning the mechanics of consciousness actively trying to achieve a result.

I would assume that the essence of life is consciousness actively trying to achieve a result.

Master that and you've mastered life.

Or, a particular aspect of life.

The zen of word hunting.

Comment

Interesting. I can't consume caffeine at all; it speeds up everything and I need a nearby restroom. AND my hands shake, my eyes twitch, etc. My sense of smell tells me coffee smells really bad, but it can't warn me about tea or cola drinks. I last had a cola drink probably 40 years ago; too many of them have caffeine in them. I am perfectly certain that if I took any caffeine at all I would cut my score on this game by at least 50%, and perhaps to zero; I might not be able to type a single word correctly in three minutes. On the other hand, I often score a little higher if I drink a beer before playing.

Comment

Originally posted by bwt1213 View Post
            Interesting. I can't consume caffeine at all; it speeds up everything and I need a nearby restroom. AND my hands shake, my eyes twitch, etc. My sense of smell tells me coffee smells really bad, but it can't warn me about tea or cola drinks. I last had a cola drink probably 40 years ago; too many of them have caffeine in them. I am perfectly certain that if I took any caffeine at all I would cut my score on this game by at least 50%, and perhaps to zero; I might not be able to type a single word correctly in three minutes. On the other hand, I often score a little higher if I drink a beer before playing.
            Probably a good thing all around on the cola drinks. So much sugar.

Caffeine and bathrooms. Yep. Tends to make a person thirsty also as it's a diuretic.

Maybe the beer relaxes you.

Like the smell of beer, but not really the taste. Probably a good thing. My younger brother is a virtual twin, and he loves beer. He also weighs 30 lbs more and has endless health issues. Having an addictive personality, that would be me if I loved beer.

My highest scores always come as a surprise, usually because I don't feel rushed and am feeling really relaxed. Often after a series of really bad games where I've about given up and don't care if I never play another game again or not.

Most of us are brought up to try harder.

An instructor repeatedly told us we'd do much better if we didn't try so hard. He was right. Watch a sprinter's face in slow motion during a race and it looks like jelly bouncing around.

Problem then becomes trying hard not to try too hard.

Grrrrr.

Sigh.

The balances required of life are so, so demanding.

Comment

Here's another example of me against myself on a game that I was very happy with when I played it initially.

I beat that score by 158 points!

It's happening more and more, though not on every game. After all, my attention span is about a buck fifty short of a 2 minute game.

I'm amazed that I was still holding the record for most words after 11 other people, including you, played that board!

Well done!

Comment

Originally posted by crazykate View Post

I'm amazed that I was still holding the record for most words after 11 other people, including you, played that board!

Well done!
                Crazykate,

thanks.

Kate is one of my favorite names. Adding Crazy multiplies the charm.

Records are the reality of pond life.

Fortunately, a bit less violent

--and permanent.

I started the month with almost a hundred more "highest scores" than I now have. Probably, the fish who ate my records were followed by bigger fish.

Something larger than Red Fish is just outside the picture. With something even bigger (or microscopically small) waiting for a chance.

In the grand scheme of things, considering conservation of energy, we're all destined to feed the molecules of what follows.

I suppose the solution is to get out the fishing line, bask in the sunshine and enjoy the lazy bob of the boat.

iu.jpeg

Comment

Records are the reality of pond life.

I started the month with almost a hundred more "highest scores" than I now have. Probably, the fish who ate my records were followed by bigger fish.
                  Yep, me too. Now I'm down to 2 on 5x5.

Comment

I don't check those things. I know I'm fodder for the larger fish, and I know there are a lot of them. There is not a single game I have ever played, no matter how well I've done, that Megaword, fasteddieb, Thunderrock, and a whole HOST of others wouldn't outscore substantially, some probably doubling mine or doing even better than that. So all my high game score records are accidents of chance.

I do look at the records before playing a board, though. Some people are a challenge -- I can beat their score because I've done it before, just not often. Others are comparable to my own scores, so I think I have an idea how I might do. And some I know I can beat their average score per word, so the challenge is really to find enough words. If I ever see a board on which Scheffek couldn't score 500, I don't even bother to play. Same for RussDNails, Ellen, BabyBullz59, etc.

Comment

I don't check those things. I know I'm fodder for the larger fish, and I know there are a lot of them. There is not a single game I have ever played, no matter how well I've done, that Megaword, fasteddieb, Thunderrock, and a whole HOST of others wouldn't outscore substantially, some probably doubling mine or doing even better than that. So all my high game score records are accidents of chance.

I do look at the records before playing a board, though. Some people are a challenge -- I can beat their score because I've done it before, just not often. Others are comparable to my own scores, so I think I have an idea how I might do. And some I know I can beat their average score per word, so the challenge is really to find enough words. If I ever see a board on which Scheffek couldn't score 500, I don't even bother to play. Same for RussDNails, Ellen, BabyBullz59, etc.
                      That's pretty much exactly how I approach the game. Look at the records and stats, then calculate potential results based on who's done what. Because I stick with 4x4's the players differ somewhat.

The odd thing, which caused this thread's origination, is that some of the players I've never, ever, ever beaten are now within range. I'm challenging their scores and sometimes beating them. Just played this game where a person I'd never beaten until a few weeks ago had scored 425 points on 85 words. Since their average points per word on this particular game was 5.0 I figured I could maybe get a 400 points with 80 words. 400 points is my current average goal, though I'm trying to hit 600. Anyway, the results:

Screen Shot 2021-09-28 at 7.19.01 PM.png
                      The game before this one, I got a 464 to that player's 471--and I kept flubbing trying to get a couple of words that would have given me 12 more.

I'm not in any way shape or form trying to toot my horn, I'm just wondering outloud if the creatine and blood thinner have given me a boost/advantage somehow.

Comment

Accumulating records

a treadmill to despair.

Better,

a walk in the park.

Comment

That's pretty much exactly how I approach the game. Look at the records and stats, then calculate potential results based on who's done what. Because I stick with 4x4's the players differ somewhat.

I'm not in any way shape or form trying to toot my horn, I'm just wondering outloud if the creatine and blood thinner have given me a boost/advantage somehow.
                          I've had a long-running competition with myself to surpass RussDNails's score. I had been doing that every few months or so. Earlier this month, I did it five times in one day, and it's probably more than a dozen times now just this month, sometimes by more than a hundred points. Looking at average scores, RussDNails isn't scoring less than usual and their average is even higher this month than last. I'm taking nebulizer treatments now, but my overall average hasn't really changed much. So I'm guessing it has something to do with the boards we're seeing. The standard deviation of the scores on the boards is larger than it has been -- that's my guess.

Comment

I've had a long-running competition with myself to surpass RussDNails's score. I had been doing that every few months or so. Earlier this month, I did it five times in one day, and it's probably more than a dozen times now just this month, sometimes by more than a hundred points. Looking at average scores, RussDNails isn't scoring less than usual and their average is even higher this month than last. I'm taking nebulizer treatments now, but my overall average hasn't really changed much. So I'm guessing it has something to do with the boards we're seeing. The standard deviation of the scores on the boards is larger than it has been -- that's my guess.
                            Congratulations on your success.

My goals are more modest, as would be appropriate with more modest ability.

Applying standard deviation to scoring differentiation is something I hadn't considered. I have noticed huge swings in games I've played against myself--larger than in the past.

Comment

Just out of curiosity, why did you decide I’m the chosen one???

Comment

Working...
                              X