spellchecker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• spellchecker

Was trying to enter knuckleheaded, but something kept rejecting it as needing a space. knuckle headed

Surely there isn't a spellcheck function to the game. Never had any word rejected for any reason -- other than it being a nonword.

Anyone know what might cause this?

Nope, very bizarre. I checked both YAWL and Collin's dictionaries and it was 1 word w no space in both.
    Maybe shoot an e-mail to Stephen about it.

Comment

Originally posted by lalatan View Post
      Nope, very bizarre. I checked both YAWL and Collin's dictionaries and it was 1 word w no space in both.
      Maybe shoot an e-mail to Stephen about it.
      My curiosity is why it's suddenly spellchecking and correcting the words typed in.

Even when commenting I waste time trying to type words that are legitimate to the gam--but illegitimate to the forum spellchecker. Having to do that during a game is catastrophic. No spellchecker that I know of accepts all the words played and accepted here.

A bit ago it switched "rath" to "wrath". And the forum spellchecker switched from "rath" to "bath." So, even the two spellcheckers can't agree. And the game one only kicks in now and then at weird times.

Just want to turn them all off. I don't need spellcheckers. Just wastes time dealing with their ignorance.

BTW, got my booster shot a few days ago. Knocked me flat. Headaches, fever, body aches. Tried playing, because it wasn't horrible, just a bit painful. Couldn't play well at all. Bet I was down about a hundred points a game. Thought of you and your playing through the pain. Had to let you know how much I admire your ability to do that.

Comment

Like I wrote before, "autocorrect can go straight to he'll!" (from a meme I saw). Maybe I should also add, "Spell check can go straight to he ll."

Thanks. I guess I've dealt w the pain for so long I don't give it a lot of thought anymore. I'm used to a certain amount of it all the time. I'm glad that, if I can focus on something else, it takes my mind off the pain even though it's still there in the background unless it's intense.

I'm hoping for a booster shot soon. (The first 2 didn't bother me much.) Ironically, the 5th wave is the worst one on Vancouver Island and we're right in the midst of it.
        Last edited by lalatan; 11-27-2021, 03:59 AM.

Comment

I suspect the spelling checker has little or nothing to do with the game site and more to do with the browser you're using and whether the spelling checker is turned on there or not. And if that's not it, perhaps it has something to do with the site you most recently visited or the app you most recently ran. I have never had a spelling checker change a word I've typed in this game or refused to accept a word I've typed. But I've had it flag words I've typed in my posts.

Comment

Originally posted by bwt1213 View Post
            I suspect the spelling checker has little or nothing to do with the game site and more to do with the browser you're using and whether the spelling checker is turned on there or not. And if that's not it, perhaps it has something to do with the site you most recently visited or the app you most recently ran. I have never had a spelling checker change a word I've typed in this game or refused to accept a word I've typed. But I've had it flag words I've typed in my posts.
            Thanks. In terms of computer literacy, 4th grade level seems like looking up at a tall building. My single bounds in any attempt to leap such structures have proven ineffective. Other than causing fellow pedestrians on the binary path to fall over laughing.

I would have no idea how to check my browser for encroachment. Don't think I use any apps, but that part of my ignorance. The site I visit before Wordtwist probably doesn't spellcheck--Marybeth's Big Breast Bonanza is less interested in grammar than other things.

However, I will start being more vigilant to what precedes these weird interruptions and see if there's a pattern. It is sporadic, not constant.

I've tested it to try to get the game to spellcheck utter nonsense and it accepts random strings of consonants with nothing more than "that's not a word, moron, try again" accompanied with beeps, buzzers and clangs of warning that resonant through the home on our whole house stereo system played full blast.

Nothing tells the wife, "I love you" quite like the cacophony of a poorly played games driven by frantically inept fingers. Especially if you can capture the magically sounds of a mechanical keyboard.

I've been thinking of installing loudspeakers around the building to entertain the neighbors with a symphony of keystrokes. Of course, I'd have to get larger wind chimes.

Comment

Computers are tremendously useful but can also be tremendously frustrating, as we've all discovered. Much like the human body, there is a mind boggling amount of hidden things going on to enable it to do what it does. 25 yrs ago when I still worked and designed some spreadsheets and databases for my telecom job, I had to learn a layer of programming code called Visual Basic. You could automate all kinds of tasks by using it. It was very interesting but also very frustrating if there was problem in the code you wrote.

During that time I discovered using keyboard combinations was quicker than moving back and forth between the keyboard and the mouse. I used Ctrl+Z, Ctrl+X, Ctrl+C and Ctrl+V (undo, cut, copy and paste respectively) a lot and still do, even in typing this sentence w the Ctrl+ list. Back in the day, I discovered in Windows Help (when they had a help database that came w the OS) there was about a page and a half of keyboard shortcuts you could use for various tasks. I also programmed my own shortcuts for doing repetitive tasks. I found most users are not even aware of them b/c they're hidden, so to speak.

I started keeping a Word diary document once I couldn't work anymore. Every once in a while when I used Ctrl+C to copy, it instead typed a cent sign, ¢. I could not change it back to the way it was supposed to be! I had to close all programs and restart the PC. Even that didn't work sometimes and I had to do a shutdown. I tried searching Windows online help about the trouble but there was nothing on the topic. Eventually over a period of months I realized it happened after I made a keystroke mistake. While holding down the Ctrl key to type Ctrl+C I also touched the Shift key for a keystroke combo of Ctrl+Shift+C. By experimenting further I discovered that you go into that "special character" mode by holding down Ctrl+Shift longer than a specific time. I had this habit of sometimes holding down the Ctrl key while I was thinking about what to do next. That switched the keyboard mode but if I held Ctrl+Shift again it didn't switch back. Ok, this is where it gets even weirder. One day while using a spreadsheet I once again got into special character mode. But I didn't want to restart so I just used the mouse to access it on the menu bar. At 1 pt I typed Ctrl+<right arrow> to go to the last entry in that spreadsheet row (So much faster than scrolling over. I drives me crazy to watch people do that now). I held down the left Ctrl key in that instance a little longer than usual. Then I absentmindedly typed Ctrl+C and it worked again! So I started experimenting w that and found to get into special character mode you hold down Ctrl+Shift on the RIGHT side of the keybrd and to exit it, you hold down Ctrl+Shift on the LEFT side of the keybrd. WTH!!! Thank you Microsoft engineers for intermittently driving me insane for years by programming this feature and then never writing about it anywhere!!

That said, it's unlikely that's what's causing your trouble but thought I'd let you know there could be some crazy crap like that causing your problem.

BTW, sorry your booster shot kicked your butt like that. In this case I think the disease is worse than the cure so I'm willing to risk it. I also reworded my last post in this thread since I seemed to be talking in a circle on the first attempt.
              Last edited by lalatan; 11-27-2021, 02:12 PM.

Comment

If there is a spelling checker program that was inadvertently activated, you might see it in the list of running programs. To see that list, go to the task manager (right-click on the control bar NOT on any icon but to the right of them). You'll see a list of programs that are running. Click on the heading for the names to sort them in alphabetic order if they're not already sorted that way. Then look for an obvious spelling checker program name. You'll probably have to scroll down; there will be a lot of programs running. You can click on the name and tell Windows to shut that program down. Maybe it will be that simple. It's worth a shot. And if it's a really vital program, Windows won't let you shut it down, usually. If you do something bad, there's always a power-off restart.

Comment

Originally posted by bwt1213 View Post
                  If there is a spelling checker program that was inadvertently activated, you might see it in the list of running programs. To see that list, go to the task manager (right-click on the control bar NOT on any icon but to the right of them). You'll see a list of programs that are running. Click on the heading for the names to sort them in alphabetic order if they're not already sorted that way. Then look for an obvious spelling checker program name. You'll probably have to scroll down; there will be a lot of programs running. You can click on the name and tell Windows to shut that program down. Maybe it will be that simple. It's worth a shot. And if it's a really vital program, Windows won't let you shut it down, usually. If you do something bad, there's always a power-off restart.
                  Have an iMac.

Couldn't really find a task manager, but computers are often not my friend. Took a class on using a computer to help me draw. About threw it through the window. I could draw what was needed in a couple of minutes but using the computer was taking hours. Hours. Searching through the complex menus for Adobe Illustrator was second nature to the kids in the class. Not for me.

Thinking through what you said, the problem might stem from using the Pages feature for Macs. I was trying to find an easy system to store and memorize clusters of words, and then add to those clusters once I discovered more. It uses a spell checker. And I think it's been open during those problem periods.

I'll test that out.

Thanks

And,
                  lalatan,

I'm not quite skilled enough to use shortcuts. For me, the shortcuts always seem to add more distance in reaching my goal. A dog or naked woman always seems to be on the path. My mind evolved in simplicity: fight or flight.

The dog? I can either fight or take flight.

The naked woman? I have yet to find a solution.

Comment

Fortunately, I was able to use the word poetresses, however poetress was not accepted.

Comment

well, you know those poetic types, decidedly unsingular...the move in...flocks, maybe...what is the collective noun for females of the poetic persuasion?

Comment

I dunno what the noun is flopsy but I'm almost certain it'd rhyme with something.

Comment

colour me entertained! xxx (hi, ho, hi, ho for me now, with a smile).

Comment

Working...
                          X