Words to add to the dictionary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 2cute View Post

I don't think that's true. Hence the Russ board I shared in 'The Strange & the Unexpected' thread. He played it only once & got 743 points & I came across it so it was still playable for someone of your skill level (certainly not mine).
    Think the 600 rule applies to 4x4 play. Maybe this is about 5x5 boards which I nothing about.

BoredInTheCar did mention their system involved 4 letter and 5 letter words. Seems to indicate 5x5 as the 4x4's would start with 3 letter words. Not to mention playing bunches of 800 point games is more in line with 5x5, which has an extra minute and words worth more points.

Also, I believe the boards can linger for a bit before being pulled. Not sure for how long. When I'm clicking through hundreds of games, I've seen the higher point boards alread played. Even increased the scores on a couple. So...?

Nor do I have a clue as to the 5x5 total point threshold.

Comment

Paleodendrologist(s) need to be added. Palaeodendrologist(s) were accepted. None of the 4 words were in lexic.us
      Last edited by lalatan; 04-13-2022, 08:23 PM.

Comment

Naboka and @2cute: first, yes, I am only talking about 5x5 boards. I often forget that 4x4 boards even exist and that many comments in the forum are about the 4x4s!

However, my unique identifiers would also work in the 4x4 world. In 2cute's example, my identifier would be 27, 16, 9. (Based on the chart showing that there are a total of 27 common words, 16 common 3-letter words, and 7 common 4-letter words.)

Comment

Originally posted by BoredInTheCar View Post
          Naboka and @2cute: first, yes, I am only talking about 5x5 boards. I often forget that 4x4 boards even exist and that many comments in the forum are about the 4x4s!

However, my unique identifiers would also work in the 4x4 world. In 2cute's example, my identifier would be 27, 16, 9. (Based on the chart showing that there are a total of 27 common words, 16 common 3-letter words, and 7 common 4-letter words.
          So that information is set by admin & its ultimate someone could get for a puzzle? I thought that box represented what had been played so far & thus after several people played it the values hence 27 maybe become 30 common words found.

Ohhhh, so your system was to take that info (in my example 27-16-9) & categorize it, then before you played the board, you look @ your notes, find the one you played offline w/plenty of time to find as many words as you could & then when you found it online you'd just type all those words in as if you had just found them. Do I understand that right?

Comment

Yes, those charts don't change. Think about it ... a game may have only been played once, with a mediocre score, and yet the chart would still show, for example, 138 common words, 102 wide words, 63 rare words, and 197 extremely rare words. If that represented what had been played so far, that one player would have had to have gotten about 500 words - not possible.

Your second paragraph isn't quite how I would describe what I did (though it would have been technically possible to do that it). I just studied a small set of boards at my leisure off line, then I was well prepared for those particular boards when they came up "live." Sort of like taking a lot of practice tests and then being able to do well on the real GMATs.

Comment

A lot of musical terms are missing, including instrument names. And what about the cheaters who get 500+ scores and ultra-long words? There isn't enough time. I would like to have a five or ten-minute option.

Comment

Originally posted by BaronTopor View Post
                A lot of musical terms are missing, including instrument names. And what about the cheaters who get 500+ scores and ultra-long words? There isn't enough time. I would like to have a five or ten-minute option.
                I have long proposed a completely different game. There is no time limit. You have, instead, a time within which you must enter at least one new valid word. Perhaps the limit is five seconds, or ten, or thirty. But there is a limit, and you have to enter a valid new word. The game ends when you have not entered a valid new word within the time limit.

In this proposed game, there is no special advantage to typing fast. If you are typing one-handed because of stroke, no problem. If you struggle because of vision problems, that's also okay. If you have to spell out the letters as Hawking did, that's still okay.

Look, typing speed is a nice thing to have. But that shouldn't be what this game is about. This game ought to recognize that there are many capable, intelligent, and competitive people who are at some handicap -- by reason of age, injury, disease, or birth -- and need a game at which they can compete on some kind of level field with everyone else.

Yes, this is a NEW game. Its records don't compare to the ones in the current games. So we need a whole new records section and a new standings section for 4x4 and 5x5. And by all that is holy, there ought to be a 6x6.

Comment

Add the word reducibility to the dictionary

Comment

"There isn't enough time." Boy, you summed it up in a single sentence. A universal truth that slams us about like a perpetual motion machine.

Yeah, those cheaters who can score over 500 points and also get the ultra-long words. Something has to be done about them.

Cheating has become just too easy. Every day I get calls from people wanting to buy my house or sell me cheats to various word games. Yesterday a Nigerian Prince claimed his WordTwist solutions would not only enable me to score 500 points and get ultralong words, but also bring me thousands in government subsidies. For only $500 I could rise to the top of the WordTwist world and ride in tickertape parades.

Here's a couple of secrets. I'll probably get kicked out of the union for revealing them. You just aren't supposed to reveal how magic occurs.

The board stats at the beginning of every game clue you as to what word lengths to expect. I only play 4x4, but if a board reveals that 9 words exist with over 7+ letters, it's claiming "long words possible." Not always reliable, but a clue.

The biggest secret of ultra long words is that tiny word segments comprise them. Getting a cheat sheet with all the word segments available will really make finding ultralong words easier. But, the only way to find all those words segments is to pay millions for someone to break into a secret government vault that stores them--

or...

look in a dictionary.

Even "sesquipedalianism" is made up of word segments. And since the word has been around for much longer than WordTwist, one can surmise that certain individuals have been fascinated by very long words for a very long time. Probably some guy sititng in a cave fascinated himself by combining various grunts in longer and longer sequences.

He was probably the first rapper.

Music might even be a cousin fasination of putting sounds together in a way that pleases one. And without music, we wouldn't have musical terms that are lacking in WordTwist.

(Though, a disclaimer, "sesquipedalianism" won't play on 4x4 for some reason.)

Another secret is how word segments affect point values. "Dirt" will get you 3 points, but adding an "s" for "dirts" gives you 8. Magic. Yet, "ide" will give you 6 points, but adding "s" reduces it to 3--more letters, less points.

"Re-" and "-er" can do crazy things. Rig and rigs give you 3 points, but rerig and rerigs give you 8 and 10. Sorcery.

Don't mean to be pedantic about this. Peda. Word segment. Look at "peda" in lexico and you'll get something like: pedagogue, pedagogic, pedagoguery, pedagogy, pedagogal. So, if you see "peda" on the board, you look for those. You might even find "pedagogueries" here. Or is it "pedagogeries" that plays? One does, one doesn't.

Then if you look up "pedo" you get a bunch more words. One ending in "philia," which takes you to "paraphilia,"

which uncommonly applies to WordTwist.

The extreme and dangerous activity of scoring 500 points AND finding ultralong words can not only be unbearably climactic, but lead to sudden death from bystanders wanting to stone you for apparent witchcrafterinesses.
                    Last edited by Naboka; 04-16-2022, 09:28 AM.

Comment

Another missing word (I'm surprised it isn't in the linked dictionary) is "tarer."

I always have to remind myself not to bother with that one. Some verbs with "er" added do seem a bit farfetched, but "person who tares" seems like a no-brainer. I am a tarer in my kitchen almost every day!

Comment

You and TOOMANYCHEATERS need to build your own Boggle website where you can determine what is possible and impossible and then enforce it. You could then hire your own IT person to implement your wandering desires like more time/game. I'm sure it would be a Boggle utopia for everyone like the Russian, Chinese and North Korean utopias are for their citizens.
                        Last edited by lalatan; 04-16-2022, 01:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by lalatan View Post
                          You and TOOMANYCHEATERS need to build your own Boggle website where you can determine what is possible and impossible and then enforce it. You could then hire your own IT person to implement your wandering desires like more time/game. I'm sure it would be a Boggle utopia for everyone like the Russian, Chinese and North Korean utopias are for their citizens.
                          Perhaps, more doable (and enlightening) would be to watch Megaword playing boards on YouTube. You know it's not a program because of the hesitations and errors. It's the speed of play that's so amazing.

But, he didn't get there by accident.

Maybe it's all the hard work, practice and study that makes certain accomplishments seem unreal.

There are probably a few dozen players here that could put up 500 points along with the best words. There are a few who could probably do it in less than or close to a single minute.

With enough practice, finding certain words and word combinations becomes automatic. You don't even think about it. Like driving a stick shift/working the brake pedal, you can perform the action without having to think about it.

Comment

You're a much more patient person than me today, Naboka (which is a good thing). I'm upset w players who share their wonderful insights on cheating when it's highly unlikely they have read any of the previous accusations and rebuttals written on this forum. It's nauseating and I suspect there are others who think the same so I posted it.
                            Last edited by lalatan; 04-16-2022, 05:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by lalatan View Post
                              You're a much more patient person than me today, Naboka (which is a good thing). I'm upset w players who share their wonderful insights on cheating when it's highly unlikely they have read any of the previous accusations and rebuttals written on this forum. It's nauseating and I suspect there are others who think the same so I posted it.
                              Understood. The subject gets old very quickly. (Can subjects suffer from progeria?)

There are, as you say, pages and pages of rebuttals and explanations.

Since I've also suggested cheating may be afoot recently, perhaps casting stones isn't morally appropriate. Though, the more I examine that person's games versus those of the best players here, the more I suspect something isn't according to Hoyle. I just can't explain how.

To believe no one would possibly cheat here is simply naive. People do what people do. And it's not always honest and appropriate.

I suppose all of us have our "realms of possiblity" threshold, beyond which something seems terribly wrong and unreal.

But...

it made me laugh.

The standard of measure just seemed so absurdly low.

Comment

Originally posted by Naboka View Post

Think the 600 rule applies to 4x4 play. Maybe this is about 5x5 boards which I nothing about.

BoredInTheCar did mention their system involved 4 letter and 5 letter words. Seems to indicate 5x5 as the 4x4's would start with 3 letter words. Not to mention playing bunches of 800 point games is more in line with 5x5, which has an extra minute and words worth more points.

Also, I believe the boards can linger for a bit before being pulled. Not sure for how long. When I'm clicking through hundreds of games, I've seen the higher point boards alread played. Even increased the scores on a couple. So...?

Nor do I have a clue as to the 5x5 total point threshold.
                                The 600 point rule applies to 5x5 boards, but the daemon that harvests the boards can let some linger for a while. I came across one by Estive, who scored 1320 points or some such high number. I played the same board and got only 520 or so -- not even half, and less than half as many words as well. But boards with scores over 600 are rare indeed. There are a whole lot of 500 point boards, but ones over 600 disappear within a few hours. Think about it for a while: RussDNails plays a lot of boards for a very high average, but almost the only boards I see are the ones in the 500-point range. Only rarely will I see a board over 600, yet nearly all boards Russ plays must be well over 600.

Comment

Working...
                                X