No announcement yet.

Words to add to the dictionary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PRONED is not accepted, although PRONE can be used as a verb in a medical context.

Comment

SUPERCONTROLLERS is in the dictionary, but SUPERCONTROLLER is not. I assume they both should be.

Comment

Originally posted by Nylimb View Post
        PRONED is not accepted, although PRONE can be used as a verb in a medical context.
        I don't think PRONED is a word. Neither is PRONNED. I thine Prone is both present & past tense. He was prone to falls since he injured his left leg.

Comment

Originally posted by 2cute View Post

I don't think PRONED is a word. Neither is PRONNED. I thine Prone is both present & past tense. He was prone to falls since he injured his left leg.
          See https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/prone for a definition of PRONE as a verb, which includes as an example the phrase "Ventilated patients are typically proned for 16 hours".

Comment

Roth is not in the dictionary and should be, along with lots of older English words. And then there's the whole devotional language of thee, thou, thine, shalt, etc., not all of which are included, along with musical terminology. Maybe it's just time to use a different dictionary, like a Scrabble dictionary or Webster's International.

Comment

If you're suggesting adding words from other dictionaries, fine. But if this site began using the SOWPODS dictionary from Scrabble, I would find another game to play. If you think this dictionary is lacking, SOWPODS lacks far more words -- perhaps hundreds of thousands of them.

Comment

Bromopyridine, bromopyridines.

The advantage of knowing chemistry: pyridines--a 9 letter word woth 16 points.

The disadvantage: bromopyridines--a 14 letter word, accepted in lexic, and worth???? Wasn't accepted.

Compounded by the wasted time or typing and retyping a long word just in case.

Unless I'm mistaken.

Sigh.

Screen Shot 2022-11-10 at 5.08.19 PM.png

Comment

I've never heard of BROMOPYRIDINE(S) before, but it sure looks like it should work & be THE word for that board. However, according to google (but not lexic.us), BROMOPYRAZINE also works.

Comment

Originally posted by Spike1007 View Post
                    I've never heard of BROMOPYRIDINE(S) before, but it sure looks like it should work & be THE word for that board. However, according to google (but not lexic.us), BROMOPYRAZINE also works.
                    Thanks, Spike,

Didn't think of bromopyrazines. That would have to get more points, having a z.

Did try pyrazine, though, and it wouldn't take either.

So, semi-frantic that time was running short, I had other words queued and didn't want to waste them: riz, riza rizas izar izars, izard, nazi, nazir, nazirs. They all worked. But, that was a given. Had already done the azine/azines, zaire/zaires -- which have yet to lose their zest.

Hope all of these new ones get added to the new dictionary. It's a bit of a rush when something new works.

Comment

TERRAN is not accepted. It means an inhabitant of Earth, and can be a noun or an adjective. It's mostly used in science fiction. It's in the lexic.us dictionary, with no indication of always being capitalized, although it often is.

Comment

Working...
                      X