Found it - worst (5x5) board EVER

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Found it - worst (5x5) board EVER

A while ago I posted about clicking through boards and seeing one with only 5 common words, which I unfortunately clicked past before my brain engaged and I said "wow - really? That's a board I really want to see!"

Well I finally got it again (I don't know if it is the same one or not, but a board with only 5 common words is certainly going to be vanishingly rare). So here it is. Wondering what words people can find in it ... I don't see much that I'm sure of without checking the dictionary. PLOY, POLS, TITS, TITTY. Anyone got more?
    Screen Shot 2022-04-25 at 5.18.36 AM.png Screen Shot 2022-04-25 at 5.18.20 AM.png
    Attached Files

Ohl and if you want to see if something would be accepted, here is the link to the dictionary admin indicated that they are trying to include all words from: https://www.lexic.us I think Wordtwist may accept a few words that are not in that dictionary, but it's a pretty good proxy for what would fly.

I see some more ... PONT, BOTT, NOTT. GLOP, SLOP. GLOB.
    Last edited by BoredInTheCar; 04-25-2022, 06:05 PM.

Comment

POLYGLOTTISMS is one.

Comment

which gives you POLY, ISMS, LOPS, SLOP, POLT/S...TITTY

Comment

previous: PLOY, POLS, TITS, TITTY, PONT, BOTT, NOTT. GLOP, SLOP. GLOB, POLYGLOTTISMS (including POLYGLOTTISM, POLYGLOT, GLOTTIS).
          "new": POLY, LOPS, JONTY, BOTTS, SITS, GYMS, ISMS, PSST, NOTTS, PONTS,

Comment

Pott/s......

Comment

Hey, is Wordtwist accepting NOTTS now? It didn't used to. I've been leaving points on the table ... I play NOTT fairly often but don't bother with NOTTS. Huh. Next thing, you'll be telling me RASTS is okay.

So far it looks like 28 words have been found ... only 10 more to go, folks!
              1. BOTT
              2. BOTTS
              3. GLOB
              4. GLOP
              5. GLOTTIS
              6. GYMS
              7. ISMS
              8. JONTY
              9. LOPS
              10. NOTT
              11. NOTTS
              12. PLOY
              13. POLS
              14. POLT
              15. POLTS
              16. POLY
              17. POLYGLOT
              18. POLYGLOTTISM
              19. POLYGLOTTISMS
              20. PONT
              21. PONTS
              22. POTT
              23. POTTS
              24. PSST
              25. SITS
              26. SLOP
              27. TITS
              28. TITTY
              Last edited by BoredInTheCar; 04-25-2022, 09:56 PM.

Comment

I see ZOLS, I thought YOPS was one but it's not in that dictionary, YOP is so the plural still might count.

Comment

I encountered this board, which was the worst ever 5x5 I've seen, on March 1 and saved it to post sometime. Since the topic came up in this thread I thought now is a good time. (Also, it seems folks are enjoying the dissection of it.) I of course was looking for the best/longest word but was unsuccessful and dumped the game. Consequently, I never saw the 16 words that were found. I thought I had it when I spotted MORPHOPHOBIC but that was rejected. Enjoy...

WORST 5X5 GAME STATS.jpg WORST 5X5 GAME BOARD LAYOUT.jpg

Comment

SOPHOPHOBIA (fear of learning) works on lexic.us, so SOPHOPHOBIC should have a shot, although that form doesn't work there.

Comment

You're probably right Spike. As we long word seekers are wont to do at times, I got it stuck in my head it had to do w -morph and -phobic w/o considering much else. At times I still find it hard to break out of that mode when I lapse into it and look for other possibilities...

Comment

Originally posted by lalatan View Post
                        I encountered this board, which was the worst ever 5x5 I've seen, on March 1 and saved it to post sometime. Since the topic came up in this thread I thought now is a good time. (Also, it seems folks are enjoying the dissection of it.) I of course was looking for the best/longest word but was unsuccessful and dumped the game. Consequently, I never saw the 16 words that were found. I thought I had it when I spotted MORPHOPHOBIC but that was rejected. Enjoy...

WORST 5X5 GAME STATS.jpg WORST 5X5 GAME BOARD LAYOUT.jpg
                        Looked up "morphophobic" and it seems that "dysmophophobic" is a more common term. A psychiatric disorder characterised by fixation on an imaginary flaw in physical appearance.

Maybe that's the word, if it's accepted.

Comment

I'll also often stubbornly latch onto word parts without considering alternatives. Here, you got me started with -PHOBIC, so that's where I got stuck.

Comment

Naboka, great word (if it works). I'll have to keep my eyes open for that.

Comment

Originally posted by Spike1007 View Post
                              SOPHOPHOBIA (fear of learning) works on lexic.us, so SOPHOPHOBIC should have a shot, although that form doesn't work there.
                              Sent "sophophobic" to my brother. He texted back that the greater fear should be not knowing.

Probably the fear of learning is actually greater. Ask someone about their politics or religion and see how many actually want to learn that the nonsense they cherish is ...

nonsense.

Comment

Working...
                              X