Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"eMERGENCY" (with a lower case "e") game abandoments....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "eMERGENCY" (with a lower case "e") game abandoments....

so, you are smashing out words, goals in mind.....maybe you've done everything you are obligated to do, had a coffee, and a ventolin....and you hear "OH MY GOSH! MUUUUM....COME HERE1"

and you find out the eMERGENCY....is that Offspring 3 has just found 16 tennis balls under the lounge chair...(and yes Mud the Dog was happy, because he only had 10 in his travel bag, and 20 lying around the house and yard..) This is just one example of me leaving a perfectly enjoyable game for spurious reasons...

Does this only happen to me? What's your least best "reason"...?

Ohhh... it happens all the time! I don't have an office, so the laptop is on the kitchen table. Of an open-floor-plan home-- the main floor is pretty much just one big room. (Nuts to the architects who thought that would be an awesome idea.) So: spam calls, cat ralphing, husband coming up the stairs talk-walking assuming I'm just waiting to shoot the breeze, someone's at the front door... I think I interrupt more games than I complete!

Comment

Apparently I don't need eMERGENCIES. I'll just get distracted & wander off. I go for high average points per word, so I generally stare at the board until I find something, and maybe my attention span is less than three minutes. Anyway, if I leave the board empty before I go, there's no harm done. Other times though, I've come back to my computer & find that I've entered a mediocre word & let the time run out. Then I play catch-up for a while...

Comment

Forgot to put the bins out, and can hear the truck....gets a capital E!

Comment

I have three attention-seeking cats in a smallish apartment.

Plus, my garrulous friend who loves to stop by for a visit lives upstairs, and my phone rings with calls from people I'd like to talk to fairly often.

But mostly, it's the cats.

Comment

it's always, or at least very often, the cats...sleep with one eye open.

I read, recently that the dog thinks..."this human loves me, shelters me, feeds me, nurtures me...they are THE SUPREME RULER"....
            cat thinks..."this human loves me, shelters me, feeds me, nurtures me....I AM THE SUPREME RULER".

and I think we all know which species has worked it out....

Comment

If I leave a game it is often due to my kids trying to flatten each other. Because of course one of them hears colours better than the other...
              And I can't exit the page without hollering "ABORT!"

Comment

I do customer service work from home. Just love the calls "I'm here to pick up my order." Me: "Gosh, I'm 40 minutes from the facility! Please check the email that you got telling you your order is ready - it has the correct phone number in it." Worse are the robo-calls with no-one on the other end.

Comment

Originally posted by JedMedGrey View Post
                  I do customer service work from home. Just love the calls "I'm here to pick up my order." Me: "Gosh, I'm 40 minutes from the facility! Please check the email that you got telling you your order is ready - it has the correct phone number in it." Worse are the robo-calls with no-one on the other end.
                  I think...you win! wow...that would really suck.

Comment

Originally posted by floppers View Post

I think...you win! wow...that would really suck.
                    I second this sentiment! At least the cats compensate for their interruptions by looking beautiful and purring soothingly. Annoying phone calls offer neither of those benefits.

Comment

One morning I was playing and I got a spam call from some time share deal in Florida. Identified as spam on my caller ID. I blocked the call. They called back in about two minutes and I wondered if I improperly blocked the call. I blocked that call and made sure I hit the "okay" button. They called back in thirty seconds. I wrote down the number and blocked it.

This bus load of fun started just after 10 AM. This kept up until just before six. Not that I sat home with the phone all day, I went out to the market, did some yard work, and out for a hike. When I came back in the house after each of these tasks, my "missed call" list was loaded with their calls. Both times I blocked all of their numbers. As I watched the news, I kept the phone near me, and deleted their calls. All with the same area code and first three numbers. as for the last four numbers I blocked calls from 8645 to 8727. Just when I decided that I would answer the next call and say,"You know, I could really use a time share in Florida!" The calls stopped. I haven't gotten another call from that time share place again.

Comment

Wow! dannyb that really takes the cake!

Comment

Originally posted by dannyb View Post
                          One morning I was playing and I got a spam call from some time share deal in Florida. Identified as spam on my caller ID. I blocked the call. They called back in about two minutes and I wondered if I improperly blocked the call. I blocked that call and made sure I hit the "okay" button. They called back in thirty seconds. I wrote down the number and blocked it.

This bus load of fun started just after 10 AM. This kept up until just before six. Not that I sat home with the phone all day, I went out to the market, did some yard work, and out for a hike. When I came back in the house after each of these tasks, my "missed call" list was loaded with their calls. Both times I blocked all of their numbers. As I watched the news, I kept the phone near me, and deleted their calls. All with the same area code and first three numbers. as for the last four numbers I blocked calls from 8645 to 8727. Just when I decided that I would answer the next call and say,"You know, I could really use a time share in Florida!" The calls stopped. I haven't gotten another call from that time share place again.
                          If you're on the national "do not call" list, all their calls are illegal. So, answer the call and inform them that there are substantial penalties for doing what they're doing, and if they call even once more you will make sure they're prosecuted. It's an automated system and they're spoofing all the numbers they're "calling from" so blocking won't do any good. And because it's automated, they can't stop the calls, either. I forget what the penalty is, but I'm thinking it was so much per call, and the fine could reach into the millions of dollars.

Comment

Originally posted by bwt1213 View Post

If you're on the national "do not call" list, all their calls are illegal. So, answer the call and inform them that there are substantial penalties for doing what they're doing, and if they call even once more you will make sure they're prosecuted. It's an automated system and they're spoofing all the numbers they're "calling from" so blocking won't do any good. And because it's automated, they can't stop the calls, either. I forget what the penalty is, but I'm thinking it was so much per call, and the fine could reach into the millions of dollars.
                            I got on the national don't call list years and years ago. Didn't do a thing. I tried calling and later contacting them via the internet. but I got no satisfaction.

Comment

Originally posted by dannyb View Post

I got on the national don't call list years and years ago. Didn't do a thing. I tried calling and later contacting them via the internet. but I got no satisfaction.
                              From looking it up: "Under the federal Telephone Consumer Protection Act, you can sue telemarketers for your actual monetary loss or up to $500—whichever is greater—for each call received after you placed your name on the Do Not Call Registry or asked the company not to call." And yes, you can start a class-action suit. There are lawyers who will take those suits and run with them; the money is pretty sweet. The telemarketers will shrug if you call them and pretend it's no big deal. But If you can prove they called you and that you were on the don't call list at the time, you get $500. I remember a case where the telemarketer called the guy and the one being called complained. The telemarketer said he'd make certain the guy was called a hundred times a day,. And the telemarketer did exactly as he'd said, running up thousands of calls to the guy, some even from the telemarketer's personal phone. But the target logged all the calls and had even recorded the original conversation, and the cops came for the telemarketer besides (making harassing calls). The telemarketer was sued out of business and spent time in jail. Sweet.

Comment

Working...
                              X