No announcement yet.

Wordtwist Dictionary Update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I disagreeth with the removeth of Olde Words, which remain in use, if limited, and proper constructions such as nubilest, as well as insult words. If people are so easily offended, they should not play.

Comment

Augean is always capitalized, it seems, and therefore is treated similarly to a proper noun, which traditionally wouldn’t be allowed in word games.

Ark feels like a genuine miss if it really isn’t in the new dictionary - I’m out of the office til Sunday but will check when I get back.
      If you enjoy our puzzles, please consider upgrading to a premium account to remove all ads and help support us financially. Thanks for your support!

Comment

ARK is 100% a word - in fact it is in the original game dictionary, and appears in over 1,360 games. If you ever find a game where that word is legitimately unplayable please post a screenshot of the board so I can double check it, but as far as I can tell, it is definitely in the mix.
        If you enjoy our puzzles, please consider upgrading to a premium account to remove all ads and help support us financially. Thanks for your support!

Comment

[QUOTE=admin;n31119]ARK is 100% a word - in fact it is in the original game dictionary, and appears in over 1,360 games. If you ever find a game where that word is legitimately unplayable please post a screenshot of the board so I can double check it, but as far as I can tell, it is definitely in the mix.[/QUOTE

Thanks.

Ark plays frequently.

Things I write are often obscure. My apologies for adding to your workload.

No work will ever include all the words we create. Your efforts are much appreciated. The boards are already more fun.

Finding the rare missing word from your dictionaries probably stems from the smug student trying to one-up the teacher.

Comment

I'm noticing that even boards that have upwards of 400 ultra rare words, which is a new thing, I'm struggling to put up high scores or find a lot of words. I guess I don't know any of the new words I should be looking for.

Comment

Originally posted by Brisul View Post
              I'm noticing that even boards that have upwards of 400 ultra rare words, which is a new thing, I'm struggling to put up high scores or find a lot of words. I guess I don't know any of the new words I should be looking for.
              Yes, but think of the opportunities.

A simple term like groziers didn't seem to work before. Maybe now.

kncxfcs24xv-1310482476.jpeg
              picture of one used in stainglass

Comment

A good friend of mine at about age 10 told her elementary school science teacher that she wanted to be a herpetologist. She actually did become one.

Comment

Originally posted by JedMedGrey View Post
                  A good friend of mine at about age 10 told her elementary school science teacher that she wanted to be a herpetologist. She actually did become one.
                  I told my second grade teacher that I wanted to become a teacher. She must have laughed for five minutes.

Comment

Originally posted by JedMedGrey View Post
                    Good for her. Lot of good in reptiles and amphibians.

Every spring brings a serenade from our ponds.

One of the opportunity costs of becoming a herpetologist would have been my wife. No way would she have married one. When we ride the trails and she sees a snake she screams. Just can't help it. I always stop and shoo them off the trail so no one will run over them.

Lot of interbreeding makes identifying snakes more difficult these days.

Sometimes different snakes will shake their tails like a rattler. They aren't. Just harmless snakes standing their ground.

Comment

I'm surprised "outen" was rejected. I'm Pennsylvania Dutch by heritage and spent my earliest years in PA; "outen the lights" sounds perfectly natural to me.

Comment

Originally posted by BoredInTheCar View Post
                        I'm surprised "outen" was rejected. I'm Pennsylvania Dutch by heritage and spent my earliest years in PA; "outen the lights" sounds perfectly natural to me.
                        How about yuns?

Comment

A question for admin:

tried to play "shife" which is in Lexic, but it didn't seem to take.

Screen Shot 2022-11-21 at 5.59.42 PM.png
                          Since we only have a limited time to type in words, and decisions must be made in fractions of a second, could you clarify the criteria for newly added words?

Augean wasn't accepted because it was a capitalized adjective. Would Sisyphean also fall under that grouping?

Months ago, it seemed that if the word were in Lexic it would be accepted with the updates, but that appears incorrect.

I'm not asking that you add words. So far the changes are working well. Just would like a guideline.

ps. the same would apply to outen which BoredInTheCar noted. It's in Lexic.

Though, dannyb's yuns is not.

Attached Files
                          Last edited by Naboka; 11-21-2022, 07:23 PM.

Comment

Shife is classified as dialectical, and so wasn't included.

Comment

Apologies, I missed your second question - yes, Sisyphean is not in the dictionary because it is always capitalized.

Primary reasons for any word being excluded from this update were:

- archaic
                              - dialectical
                              - abbreviations or nonstandard clippings
                              - alternative or nonstandard spellings
                              - informal / slang / colloquial
                              - proper noun (or derivative of)
                              - ethnic slurs or extreme vulgarity

Comment

Originally posted by admin View Post
                                Apologies, I missed your second question - yes, Sisyphean is not in the dictionary because it is always capitalized.

Primary reasons for any word being excluded from this update were:

- archaic
                                - dialectical
                                - abbreviations or nonstandard clippings
                                - alternative or nonstandard spellings
                                - informal / slang / colloquial
                                - proper noun (or derivative of)
                                - ethnic slurs or extreme vulgarity
                                Thanks. .

Comment

Working...
                                X