Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Add a category for words over 12 letters?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Add a category for words over 12 letters?

With the influx of ridiculously interesting new boards -- some that have hundreds of words over 9 letters -- perhaps it's time to add a column to the letters-per-word list? I'm one of those folks who likes looking for the super-long words, and it would be cool to see how many over-12 or over-15 words are in a board. Thoughts?

Personally, I think that another word length category would be really useful :-)

Comment

Agreed, another category would be a great addition!

Comment

I'm going to be the contrarian on this issue. I think it's already too easy to learn long words by playing any game where I or any other record holders are listed in the stats. You have 2-3 minutes to find one previously played word and you know the pt value and length of it. The record holder may have spent hours reading word lists to learn and find that word. All another player needs to do to learn it is submit the game and there it is for you immediately. Or you can see them in the best words played competition list. By contrast, to beat a speed player's pts or words per game record you are going to have to know hundreds of words to surpass it. Part of the challenge for me is interpreting the stats to see if the board is worth playing for a long word. With a 12 or 15 ltr category that would make it less challenging. How much easier do we have to make it?

It may be a moot proposition anyway. I think Stephen said he can't expand the words available by letters columns because of space constraints in the mobile version.
        Last edited by lalatan; 01-05-2023, 02:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by lalatan View Post
          I'm going to be the contrarian on this issue. I think it's already too easy to learn long words by playing any game where I or any other record holders are listed in the stats. You have 2-3 minutes to find one previously played word and you know the pt value and length of it. The record holder may have spent hours reading word lists to learn and find that word. All another player needs to do to learn it is submit the game and there it is for you immediately. Or you can see them in the best words played competition list. By contrast, to beat a speed player's pts or words per game record you are going to have to know hundreds of words to surpass it. Part of the challenge for me is interpreting the stats to see if the board is worth playing for a long word. With a 12 or 15 ltr category that would make it less challenging. How much easier do we have to make it?

It may be a moot proposition anyway. I think Stephen said he can't expand the words available by letters columns because of space constraints in the mobile version.
          on the other hand, you've put out sooo many 16/33's that knowing which applies to which game isn't practical.

Still, playing "what word did lalatan find" is a fun game in and of itself.

Screen Shot 2023-01-05 at 7.51.28 PM.png

Comment

LOL! Thank you for a chuckle on this cold gray day!

Comment

Working...
            X