Holy cow, Lalatan!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Holy cow, Lalatan!

UNDECILLIONSEDECILLIARDTH!!!! How on earth do you know a word like that? Someone like me should just give up! Actually, I feel smart when I get half as many points as you. Congrats!

Originally posted by scoober View Post
    UNDECILLIONSEDECILLIARDTH!!!! How on earth do you know a word like that? Someone like me should just give up! Actually, I feel smart when I get half as many points as you. Congrats!
    Its hard to believe that's actually a word.

Yep, he's the master of the super long words!

Comment

Indeed! I just come along sometimes to learn new words, and do the puzzles lalatan has done.

Comment

Thanks scoober, 2cute and Hotol. To answer your question, scoober: MegaWord alerted me to their existence when admin released thousands of new games in February 2021. Subsequently, I found this article in Wikipedia that explained how they are built. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Names_of_large_numbers

While I was the first to find many of the long numeric words worth up to 54 pts and 25 letters, some other players found some of them as well. I'm certain I have trained many long word players (some have told me as much) but I can't do anything about that because of the game design. It's a matter of spotting the relevant prefixes and suffixes and knowing which order they are in to find the correct words.

p.s. For a little over a month now, I haven't been able to find any words longer than 16 letters and worth >35 pts. I've been playing 4x4. Enjoy the games.
        Last edited by lalatan; 01-27-2023, 02:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by lalatan View Post
          Thanks scoober, 2cute and Hotol. To answer your question, scoober: MegaWord alerted me to their existence when admin released thousands of new games in February 2021. Subsequently, I found this article in Wikipedia that explained how they are built. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Names_of_large_numbers

While I was the first to find many of the long numeric words worth up to 54 pts and 25 letters, some other players found some of them as well. I'm certain I have trained many long word players (some have told me as much) but I can't do anything about that because of the game design. It's a matter of spotting the relevant prefixes and suffixes and knowing which order they are in to find the correct words.

p.s. For a little over a month now, I haven't been able to find any words longer than 16 letters and worth >35 pts. I've been playing 4x4. Enjoy the games.

Quattuordecillion (found from your link)

This is certainly a word I would think you'd know.

Comment

I literally read the post above with UNDECILLIONSEDECILLIARDTH and clicked play game and got that board. What happened next is shocking.
            Last edited by BoggleOtaku; 02-18-2023, 01:18 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 2cute View Post
              Quattuordecillion (found from your link)

This is certainly a word I would think you'd know.
              It is. I first set a record with it in Sept. 2020. It predated the Feb. 2021 release of all those other long word names. DrPlacebo was the first to make us aware of its existence. At the time I thought it was so unusual (still do) and maybe even exotic. Little did I know what would happen the next February. lol

Originally posted by BoggleOtaku View Post
              I literally read the post above with UNDECILLIONSEDECILLIARDTH and clicked play game and got that board. What happened next is shocking.
              Interesting occurrence. Just yesterday I played back-to-back boards where on both of them the root word for the longest word was GESTICULATE. The first was GESTICULATIONS, which wasn't worth enough pts to keep. The next was GESTICULATINGLY for 28 pts.

Ok, I'll bite. What happened next?

Comment

I couldn't spell it, and after about 4 tries, with the clock ticking down, I'm ashamed to say I succumbed to doing a little research on a different page. The silly "E" in the middle was tripping me up.

Comment

lalatan, are you ever gobsmacked by the weird valuation of a great word you've found?

Saw this in the pregame info: you had a 15/21 word. Didn't seem like anything worth searching for, but I got on a run playing the rest of the board, saw the word you found with about 20 seconds left...

and still decided not to play it.

Word having to do with x rays that may be common in text books, but...

It's such a tempting word. Seemed like it should have been worth way more--considering the numerous other words with that particular long common ending that score over 30 points for a 16 letter word.

Screen Shot 2023-03-04 at 12.52.07 PM.png

But, hey, this is Wordtwist. What would it be without its twists?

Comment

Occasionally I am. Recently I found CRYSTALLINITY for 24 pts. I thought, "Fair enough. I've used that word and heard it many times." Later that day, I constructed a word I'd never heard or read out of parts I'd learned: EUTROPHICATIONS for 22 pts. I can't really fathom how EUTROPHICATIONS would be spoken more often in the vernacular than CRYSTALLINITY, but, as you say, it is WordTwist and those anomalies can happen. I accept it, warts and all.

Interesting you used "gobsmacked" which seems to be very much a British word and I haven't picked up any other UK words in your writing. I was unaware of its existence until I started watching British TV shows (they love to use "brilliant" when describing something really good to the pt of nausea for me sometimes). At first I thought it was pretty peculiar but now I kind of like it. Perhaps adding to my reticence of not fully embracing it was the fact that when I was a kid gob meant spit, both as a noun and a verb. So, if you gobbed on someone or something and it smacked him/it, it doesn't conjure up a pretty mental picture. haha
                    Last edited by lalatan; 03-04-2023, 04:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by lalatan View Post
                      Occasionally I am. Recently I found CRYSTALLINITY for 24 pts. I thought, "Fair enough. I've used that word and heard it many times." Later that day, I constructed a word I'd never heard or read out of parts I'd learned: EUTROPHICATIONS for 22 pts. I can't really fathom how EUTROPHICATIONS would be spoken more often in the vernacular than CRYSTALLINITY, but, as you say, it is WordTwist and those anomalies can happen. I accept it, warts and all.

Interesting you used "gobsmacked" which seems to be very much a British word and I haven't picked up any other UK words in your writing. I was unaware of its existence until I started watching British TV shows (they love to use "brilliant" when describing something really good to the pt of nausea for me sometimes). At first I thought it was pretty peculiar but now I kind of like it. Perhaps adding to my reticence of not fully embracing it was the fact that when I was a kid gob meant spit, both as a noun and a verb. So, if you gobbed on someone or something and it smacked him/it, it doesn't conjure up a pretty mental picture. haha
                      my reply got tagged as spam, so: copy/paste. Who knows when it will be reviewed.

Considering the size of your vocabulary, mildly surprised you weren't famiiar with eutrophication. See it a couple of times a year. All the vertilizers and vitamins causing such an overabundance of nutrients in our waters. A huge ecological problem.

Still, like rontgenizations, a normal person on the street isn't going to recognize it. Can't see it as less than rare. And the plurality should throw it into the ultra-rare. Never seen it pluralized. Ever.

And abundant examples demonstrate that merely adding an s can drastically change the value of a word for better or worse.

(was a tad curious if you tried the singular rontgenization--whether it suddenly became more valuable)

Perhaps using a Bristish word is mere tribute to a nation that gave us Monty Python, The Beatles, and The Office.

Though they also tried to give us a King, which, ungrateful emigrants that we are, we rejected.

Though, we seem to have compromised by welcoming Downton Abbey and Elton John.

Had similiar thoughts about gobsmacked when I first heard it long ago. Ewhhhhh! The image...

ps: does anyone run across familiar words and completely misread them initially. Not a good example but: rested becomes re-sted. You think, interesting word, then...

Comment

Originally posted by Naboka View Post
                        Considering the size of your vocabulary, mildly surprised you weren't famiiar with eutrophication. See it a couple of times a year. All the vertilizers and vitamins causing such an overabundance of nutrients in our waters. A huge ecological problem.

Still, like rontgenizations, a normal person on the street isn't going to recognize it. Can't see it as less than rare. And the plurality should throw it into the ultra-rare. Never seen it pluralized. Ever.

And abundant examples demonstrate that merely adding an s can drastically change the value of a word for better or worse.

(was a tad curious if you tried the singular rontgenization--whether it suddenly became more valuable)
                        I thought it might have something to with death when I added eu- because of words like eugenics and euthanasia. I clicked the word to get to lexic.us but it wasn't there so I didn't explore further.

RONTGENIZATIONS has been in 5x5 for quite some time. I think the singular only drops it 2 pts but can't recall for certain.

To answer your p.s.... I don't think I have, probably because of the kind of words I look for.
                        Last edited by lalatan; 03-04-2023, 06:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Naboka View Post

ps: does anyone run across familiar words and completely misread them initially. Not a good example but: rested becomes re-sted. You think, interesting word, then...
                          A simple list, to be spoken aloud:
                          MacDonald
                          MacDougal
                          MacDuff
                          McInerny
                          MacBeth
                          Machinery

Saw this a really long time ago.

Comment

Working...
                          X