RAWR! It's Wordasaurus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RAWR! It's Wordasaurus

Was there a recent dictionary update that added dinosaur names to the word list? I've always been surprised not to have run across any, but just in the last week I had PACHYCEPHALOSAUR and APATOSAURUS(ES). So be on the lookout for dinos in our midst :-D

Well done! Now to get kids involved! I've always been amazed at how the under 10 set can learn so many dinosaur names and even be able to read them before they can easily read more common words.

Comment

Originally posted by JedMedGrey View Post
      Well done! Now to get kids involved! I've always been amazed at how the under 10 set can learn so many dinosaur names and even be able to read them before they can easily read more common words.
      That was me as a kid! :-D

Comment

Originally posted by John13verse34 View Post

That was me as a kid! :-D
        Haha, yup, me too. I never heard of PACHYCEPHALOSAUR though. I looked it up in Wikipedia and the Latin word means thick headed lizard. Lol, maybe they could be affectionately known as "boneheads." (9 inches thick)
        Speaking of RAWR, none of the current lizards on earth vocalize anywhere near the volume of the T-Rex in Jurassic Park (kids probably think that's the way it was). Also, if they roared like that while hunting, I don't think they'd be too successful unless they were herding prey to their buddies who were silent. But that's pop culture for you and I enjoyed the title of your thread nevertheless.
        Last edited by lalatan; 02-20-2023, 07:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by lalatan View Post
          Haha, yup, me too. I never heard of PACHYCEPHALOSAUR though. I looked it up in Wikipedia and the Latin word means thick headed lizard. Lol, maybe they could be affectionately known as "boneheads." (9 inches thick)
          Speaking of RAWR, none of the current lizards on earth vocalize anywhere near the volume of the T-Rex in Jurassic Park (kids probably think that's the way it was). Also, if they roared like that while hunting, I don't think they'd be too successful unless they were herding prey to their buddies who were silent. But that's pop culture for you and I enjoyed the title of your thread nevertheless.
          Could be they were silent on the hunt and noisy when looking for a mate, or perhaps declaring their territory to repel intruders. Beasts that big probably specialized in low-frequency sounds, though, like today's elephants do. And all mammals our size feel uneasy when exposed to infrasound around 20-30 Hz.

Comment

Ooh, nice! I haven't found a dinosaur name yet, even though I checked every time of the combination "saur" was on the board.
            Ankylosaurus is my favourite, fingers crossed that it made the list!

Comment

Originally posted by bwt1213 View Post

Could be they were silent on the hunt and noisy when looking for a mate, or perhaps declaring their territory to repel intruders. Beasts that big probably specialized in low-frequency sounds, though, like today's elephants do. And all mammals our size feel uneasy when exposed to infrasound around 20-30 Hz.
              I'm with you for most of your conclusions, but there were no mammals our size when dinosaurs were around. I think it's more likely that the reason for our collective uneasiness lies with the predators of the Pleistocene or Miocene eras, or even frequencies associated with natural disasters such as mudslides, earthquakes or volcanic activity.

Comment

Originally posted by bwt1213 View Post

Yes, based on today's crocodiles, I imagine that's what it was like. When male crocs advertise for a mate they send out a 10 Hz infrasonic wave that ripples the water and carries through the ground great distances. Then they bellow. So I doubt there was any ear-splitting roaring going on as in Jurassic Park. But none of us where there when dinosaurs roamed the earth so we don't know what sounds they made for sure. Maybe they sang like songbirds. Who knows?

Although I was obsessed with dinosaurs as a kid, I lost interest as an adult. I think many species have been discovered in the interim. I've seen BRONTOSAURUSES on boards a few times but never played the word because it's so common.

Edit: just found this after a google search in case anyone is interested:
                The T. rex roar in 'Jurassic Park' is one of the rare sound effects as iconic as its accompanying visual effect. Here's how they did it.
                Last edited by lalatan; 02-21-2023, 05:10 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X