Upping the ante

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upping the ante

Seems that the 50 game requirement to qualify for competitions is...

insufficient?

That's less than 2 games a day. 4-6 minutes of participation.

?????

With the influx of new games, admin upped the standard for recycling games to 700 (4x4) and 1,000 (5x5)

Why not increase the number of required games to compete also?

Does anyone else think that 50 games is just too cheap a price to pay?

It's almost like hosting a barbeque and having someone come over, load up a couple of plates and walk off without saying a word.

Maybe after this month. This month, I've decided to dump as many games as needed to push my points-per-game as high as it can get. I have a goal of two submitted games per day, and I'm slightly ahead of that pace. I want to get as high as I can on all the average-score categories at the same time. Yup, it's artificial. But I figure I won't have that much playing time left and I want to leave a mark for myself (it certainly won't challenge any of the heavy hitters in any of those categories). It's almost like leading everyone in the total points for a month category for 5x5. I did that ONCE, a long time ago. Or winning in the average points-per-word (did that a whole bunch of times playing as bwt121346 in 5x5 and under bwt1213 in 4x4). For the average points per word category, I think the 51+ standard is still good. To get a really high average, you're playing and dumping a whole lot more than 51 games.

Comment

Nope. It's just a game.

Comment

I think 50 games is fair. It requires more than a passing level of commitment throughout the month, but isn't so much that getting the games in would seem like a chore.

Comment

"It's just a game."

We hear it a lot. Such a curious sentence. We just accept it as having meaning. "It's just a game."

Watched the Superbowl this year. Exceptionally strong and tough athletes crying on the sidelines. Or exploding with joy on the other one. Fans devastated. Or elated.

"Just a game" has a dismissive ring. As if a game has no importance. No value. As if nothing were invested in succeeding at that activity.

Ever think of how much money pro sports brings in? Ever wonder why a player can get a half billion dollar contract? (That's billion. A thousand million.) And he's just one member of a team filled with multi-millionaires. Must be a lot of value.

Investment in a game.

No one invests in anything that doesn't have value to them. Investing involves resources. And if a resource doesn't have value it isn't really a resource. Time, energy, passion, money...

Caring is a resource. Lots of things in life we care about. Lots of things we don't. We care about things we value. The things we don't care about are "just....whatever." Just a game. Like who really cares about a basketball state championship in other states? Unless we care, it's just a game. And who cares?

Probably the students of the school. And the parents of the players. They care. But...

For us, it's just a game.

We wear clothes. It's just clothes. But, if we care, we wear what fits, what matches, what pleases. It's just clothing, but who really wants to dress like the raglady with a sign?

We have yards. It's just a yard. But, if we care, we don't let weeds dominate. We landscape, plant flowers, mow and keep it looking nice. If we care.

The wife could care less about this game. Telling her about new high scores and long words found has about as much impact as telling the cat. To her it's just a game. Nothing invested. Could care less. If I stopped someone at the mall and told them about new records in Wordtwist, they would first try not to upset this crazed person assaulting them, and second try to get far away 'cause they definitely could care less.

Games are constantly changing their rules. Most sports have rules committees. They earn money examining the game and making changes that improve it.

For people not interested in the game, who cares. It's just a game. For fans and participants, rule changes are important. The NFL has a history of badly debilitated players because almost no one thought anything of concussions for decades. When they figured it out, they changed the rules.

But, they had to figure it out.

And that was a slow process.

And someone had to point out the need for the change.

A couple of months ago, my brother-in-law died of COVID complications. People would come up and say something about it just being life. This week, my sister-in-law died of Alzheimer complications. People are coming up with the just life line -- as if it's meaningful.

It isn't.

"Just" seems to be a word used when someone believes we shouldn't care. As if all the passion and dedication and investments are utterly meaningless.

Life wouldn't be nearly as rewarding without caring. Without dedication, investment, passion...

Do we really want the things we invest in to have so little value that we say "just ..." Seems we should want them to be filled with meaning. To have value. Passion.

To be worth the price of admission.

But, life is life, and people are people, and we don't all care about the same things. So, some things will be "just a game" to some. Or just life.

And there's no reason for them to care.

Comment

Originally posted by sadied View Post
            I think 50 games is fair. It requires more than a passing level of commitment throughout the month, but isn't so much that getting the games in would seem like a chore.
            You're probably more relevant in your assessment.

It's often about having a reason to stay in the game.

Only real crazies, like my wife's husband want things to be more and more challenging. Both of us have put on COVID pounds so we're back in the gym trying to lose it. When I explained the intensity of workout I deemed necessary to lose weight efficiently, she just shook her head and replied, "I'd just quit if I had to do that."

Along with teaching school, she's a fitness instructor. So, she knows what she's doing.

Perhaps, upping the ante only applies to obsessive adrenaline junkies.

Comment

Do you live to eat or eat to live...

Comment

Originally posted by BoggleOtaku View Post
                Do you live to eat or eat to live...
                Me? I live to eat. Vacations are planned around the things I want to eat and the restaurants I want to go to. A Chianina steak an a Brunello in Tuscany. Pork cheeks at Cochon in New Orleans. Poached halibut at West in Vancouver. A "risotto" of farro, morels, fava beans and asparagus at Fife and Drum in Kent CT.

Comment

I read your reply *yawn* and it's still just a game and my statement was meant to be dismissive. Unlike professional sports, this game has try-outs to see if you're good enough to play. There are no ranks nor grades. You don't get benched because you're having an off day. It is a fun pastime that you seem to have attached a greater importance to than it's worth. You want to exclude the casual player because they don't (according to you) dedicate enough time to it. Really? Maybe you could approach admin to see if they'll set up an exclusive club for those who pass muster and are worthy or dedicated enough.

Comment

Originally posted by Naboka View Post
                    "It's just a game."

We hear it a lot. Such a curious sentence. We just accept it as having meaning. "It's just a game."

No one invests in anything that doesn't have value to them. Investing involves resources. And if a resource doesn't have value it isn't really a resource. Time, energy, passion, money...

Caring is a resource. Lots of things in life we care about. Lots of things we don't. We care about things we value. The things we don't care about are "just....whatever." Just a game. Like who really cares about a basketball state championship in other states? Unless we care, it's just a game. And who cares?

Probably the students of the school. And the parents of the players. They care. But...

For us, it's just a game.

"Just" seems to be a word used when someone believes we shouldn't care. As if all the passion and dedication and investments are utterly meaningless.

Life wouldn't be nearly as rewarding without caring. Without dedication, investment, passion...

Do we really want the things we invest in to have so little value that we say "just ..." Seems we should want them to be filled with meaning. To have value. Passion.

To be worth the price of admission.

But, life is life, and people are people, and we don't all care about the same things. So, some things will be "just a game" to some. Or just life.

And there's no reason for them to care.
                    First of all my condolences to you and your wife.

"Life wouldn't be nearly as rewarding without caring. Without dedication, investment, passion..." So true. I enjoy your philosophical musings. I used to be more of a thinker like that years ago but my life became more about surviving the next financial or health crisis.

Some time ago I wondered how much of my life I had spent playing WordTwist boggle. I put the numbers into a spreadsheet and, as of March 2 this year I played 88.5k games, a total of 151 24 hour days of my life. That's if I played the full 2 or 3 minutes/game, which doesn't really happen. Many games are over in 15 seconds for me. But, not included is the time searching for a game where I may be able to set a record. That would easily give me a full year of 24 hr days, probably more. I imagine many folks would cluck with disdain at such numbers. However, for me it has taken my mind off troubles and chronic pain. So I consider it time well wasted and look forward to wasting more on it...

On the issue of upping the ante, I wouldn't personally protest if the threshold was set to 100 games played. For players like folkslinger who have forearm/wrist issues I think it would be a hardship.
                    Last edited by lalatan; 03-23-2023, 01:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by lalatan View Post
                      First of all my condolences to you and your wife.

"Life wouldn't be nearly as rewarding without caring. Without dedication, investment, passion..." So true. I enjoy your philosophical musings. I used to be more of a thinker like that years ago but my life became more about surviving the next financial or health crisis.

Some time ago I wondered how much of my life I had spent playing WordTwist boggle. I put the numbers into a spreadsheet and, as of March 2 this year I played 88.5k games, a total of 151 24 hour days of my life. That's if I played the full 2 or 3 minutes/game, which doesn't really happen. Many games are over in 15 seconds for me. But, not included is the time searching for a game where I may be able to set a record. That would easily give me a full year of 24 hr days, probably more. I imagine many folks would cluck with disdain at such numbers. However, for me it has taken my mind off troubles and chronic pain. So I consider it time well wasted and look forward to wasting more on it...

On the issue of upping the ante, I wouldn't personally protest if the threshold was set to 100 games played. For players like folkslinger who have forearm/wrist issues I think it would be a hardship.
                      Yeah, I thought a hundred played games would work. However...

Sadied opened my eyes.

My initial comment was intended more for competitors than casual players. It's a distinct group. Competitors enjoy a challenge. What's the value of winning something that requires virtually no effort?

But, I hadn't factored in the health issues you mentioned. Hadn't thought of folkslinger and quite a few others--bwt1213.

The upped ante wouldn't affect casual players. And, casual players wouldn't even notice the difference.

Long before social media, way back in university, it became obvious too many people understand little of what is actually written. Especially difficult ideas that exacerbate the problem. I had classmates who absolutely could not stay awake reading rudimentary history, chemistry, calculus... Social media has center-staged the phenomenon of individuals not grasping words, grammar and syntax. Seeing what someone thinks they read is often a headscratcher.

And the umbrage generated by what isn't there?! The sad part is that what isn't on the page came from their mind. I can only imagine going through life with a pot constantly simmering with a case of the indignation and outrage that's pandemic on the internet. There's a woman at the gym that vibrates with indignation. It's almost uncomfortable standing near her. Bad vibes. She wasn't like that years ago. She used to be very friendly and warm. Now she's outraged. By apparently everything. She's infected. Seeing her erupting in a Karen video wouldn't surprise any of us. Lord forgive them...

We've got two kindergarteners in the class who already "know" absolutely everything and are insulted at the suggestion they don't. Problem is, they can't read or write or do the math. Just makes you wonder where this inflated certainty of one's "knowledge" originates. Especially at such a young age. Not to mention the absolute desperation that's generated when they feel challenged. Poor kids. Despite the frustration of trying to get them to learn, you just feel sorry for them. But, in their world everything's about them and anything not in agreement with them is seen as a threat.

As for BoggleOtaku's question: depends on what's being served.

We just returned from a week in Pacific Grove, sampling restaurants, bakeries and delis from Big Sur to Carmel by the sea. Even had dinner at a place owned by Clint Eastwood--which was surprisingly reasonable though humble. Our friends say they see him there occaisionally.

So, for that week we were living to eat. The blueberries and fruit at the farmer's markets were better than anything we can get at stores here. Not to mention getting Montery Jack cheese that's the only brand still made in Montery. Yum.

Still, along with living to eat we were living to enjoy hikes and bikerides. Plus living to enjoy excellent company. Plus living to enjoy the scenery. Plus living to enjoy the yoga classes. Plus living to see the galleries. We were also going to see an ALO concert, but it got cancelled. So the question may be stunted. So many things to live for.

As for now, I'm hungry and gonna eat some leftover chili.

Comment

Originally posted by Callielou View Post
                        Nope. It's just a game.
                        I agree.

I didn't realize there was some sort of requirement to play. I thought you began competing right away when you joined the site. Where does it say this? There doesn't seem to be any kind of rules that must be followed area. Nor is there a legend, you learn as you go.

Why do you want to make the site harder than it is?

I don't think its the same as the BBQ analogy. First of all when you begin you are just learning & it takes time to learn how to play the games. Some people might be fantastic right off the bat where others (like me) take time to learn the words to be found.

Also you're assuming some members are as good as you right away. Hey I've been playing on this site now 9 years & I'm no where as good as you, nor am I willing to put in the 'work' to do so. I like playing yet I have a ton more going on in my life to give it more weight. I don't know if I'll ever have the desire to learn the words you know or put in the time to become as skilled as you are, its just not as important to me as it is to you.

I like playing for FUN! I PLAY TO RELAX from the stress of my life. Its amazingly effective too. Sometimes I'm having a panic attack & instead of taking my medication (which makes me too tired & groggy for the next several days, not just during the attack), I come to play games & it works. I'm able to stop thinking about the thing that caused me so much distress & concentrate on only the game. After a while I'm better (w/o taking pills).

Maybe for people like yourself who are highly skilled, there could be a section of competition for just the ultra elite members. Then you Megaword, RussDnails & other amazing members could compete just amongst yourselves. Then it would be like Roger Federer vs Novak Djokovic rather than Novak Djokovic (currently 2) against Jason Kubler (current best 70). That would be 'more fair'.

This way the 'new games' would be easier for people like me as then I could actually compete against people the same skill level as myself instead of competing against you (the Novak Djokovic example). Yes, I think then the site would be more fair rather than requiring people to play a certain amount of games to somehow improve enough to be eligible.

Comment

I don't play to win, but I do like to see my name on the scoreboards sometimes. Some months, that wouldn't happen if the requirement were more than 50 games. I have kids, a part-time job, a weekend study program and an internship, as well as other hobbies besides playing WordTwist, and I don't play the game every day. Sometimes I'll play 20 games in one day, nothing for a whole week, then 10 games, then nothing for a few days, maybe just 3 games the next time, and then another 15.
                          I'm definitely not very committed to the game right now, but I do like to check where I end up on the APPW board due to my current playing style.

Comment

Working...
                          X