Regardless

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Regardless

Regardless of your skill level is there a more disappointing score than one that ends in 99?

Originally posted by dannyb View Post
    Regardless of your skill level is there a more disappointing score than one that ends in 99?
    What if it was 499, 599, or 699? I'd be content with those scores. I'm not a superstar player like many others here, but I have noticed when playing 4X4 that it is getting harder to find a "fun" board/grid. If I recall correctly it was early 2021 when the boards/grids were recycled. I'm curious to know when/if that will happen again.

Comment

Originally posted by jbud1980 View Post

What if it was 499, 599, or 699? I'd be content with those scores. I'm not a superstar player like many others here, but I have noticed when playing 4X4 that it is getting harder to find a "fun" board/grid. If I recall correctly it was early 2021 when the boards/grids were recycled. I'm curious to know when/if that will happen again.
      You may be happy with those scores, but you were just one key stroke from five, six or seven hundred points.

Comment

Regardless of the score, I'm more disappointed if I miss beating a "high score" or "most words" record by just a few points. I've never been disappointed in any score ending in 99 ... I never thought about it.

Comment

Originally posted by bionicflutist View Post
          Regardless of the score, I'm more disappointed if I miss beating a "high score" or "most words" record by just a few points. I've never been disappointed in any score ending in 99 ... I never thought about it.
          For me, the ultimate disappointment is the game where you exactly match the high score, and the most words, and the longest word, and the highest point word. Your achievements will never be seen and you have achieved the ultimate negative reward with the highest possible score on everything. I have done that precisely once, and it was early on in my play. I have since achieved three of the four, but I've never done all four again. I suppose it would be easiest to do on a board that was played only once or twice before, but my one "success" was on a board that had been played about a dozen times -- not a lot, but not just once. I've never actually tried to do a match, but I suspect that wouldn't do much good. It might be harder to force a match than to just have one happen.

Comment

Found myself at bionicflutist's doorstep on the matter just now.

Missed my personal best by 2 points.

After initially being thrilled with the score and then examining the board, that sinking feeling of what-could-have-been made me get up and go get some coffee.

(I know, I know, the cardiologist tells me not to drink caffeine, but...)

What could have been? My fingers decided to stop cooperating with about 15 seconds left. I tried to type in tait, taits (6/8 pts) and oint oints (6/8 pts) and somehow failed!!
            (might have inadvertently moved my finger placement on the keyboard) To sour the dumplins more, I must have mistyped tas (6 pt) and sez (9 pt) cause I know I saw and typed them early.

That all adds up to (at least) 43 missed points that were tried and bungled. The 861 gotten score added to the 43 known bungles would have been 904.

A 900 pointer!

Lost.

A new milestone.

Flushed.

Sadness.

Screen Shot 2023-09-15 at 8.57.09 AM.png

Disappointment apparently has a walk-in closet filled with enough wardrobe choices to make a drag queen blush.

Now I just feel like listening to Billie Eilish sing What Was I Made For? on an endless loop for the rest of eternity.

Comment

My hair pulling moment is:

When, in my over enthusiasm of identifying the best/longest word, I rush into it and end up (thanks, but no thanks to a dirty phone screen or sticky fingers) scoring a 3 letter word or worse still, miss the last 's' or 'es'

Comment

Working...
              X