Covid and the game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Covid and the game

Probably most people have caught COVID by now, with varying degrees of symptoms.

Think this is my 3rd time. But the first that I've noticed it having much affect on playing Wordtwist.

I've had symptoms this time since Nov 5 (relatively mild but annoying.)

But, suddenly lost my sense of smell a few days ago. After testing negative.

Then, about the same time, mild brain fog set in. And trying to hit the keys (with my normally uncooperative fingers) became increasingly problematic. Seem to have lost all confidence that when I try to type a word my fingers will actually activate the keys.

I've had to dump far more games than usual. I'll "type" a bunch of words and only a couple will register. After 30-60 seconds of utter futility, the game goes in the trash. And the games I manage to stumble to a finish...

Was curious if anyone else has experienced anything like this.

Hi Naboka. I'm sorry you have the vid, and I hope your symptoms subside sooner than later. I tested positive for Covid two days after my birthday Vegas trip in September this year. It was the first time testing positive, and even though I knew it was inevitable, I was bummed as I went so long without contracting it. The first two days after testing positive were miserable, but I was back to normal within five days; however, I continually tested positive for Covid for two weeks. I did experience brain fog and fatigue, but not to your extent. Get well soon, and happy playing.

Comment

I couldn't tell if I had brain fog; I was so danged tired that about all I could do was lie wrapped up in blankets and with the oxygen generator running and with Antiques Road Trip on the TV (Pluto TV) 24x7. I remembered parts of some of the episodes. I didn't have enough energy to play any computer games or even to answer e-mail. My sense of smell and taste became acute, however. Salty things were REALLY salty, spicy stuff was almost intolerable, and everything tasted very different. Ordinary milk tasted sweet, sticky, and of vinegar and was pretty distasteful. I'll bet that if I tried to play this game I would have done very poorly indeed.

Comment

I get brain fog from time to time but I didn't notice it when I had COVID. When I had it I was so sick I was in the hospital for 10 days getting IV meds. Afterward when I was @ home, my sense of taste changed dramatically, both lime & teriyaki flavors tasted disgusting to me & before I loved it. Yes, my senses were also more intense rather than removed.

Comment

Get well Naboka. Three times with COVID? Not so lucky. I had anaplasmosis last April so I understand brain fog. Brain fog turns this game into something VERY different.

Comment

I wish you all well and a speedy recovery. I guess I am one of the lucky ones who (knock on wood) so far had no covid. We went into lockdown in 2020 and I guess that made a big difference. Here in the Netherlands the numbers are getting slightly higher with winter, so I avoid busy places. I do not have brainfog, but migraines, so I sort of can relate.

Comment

Get well soon!
              When I had Covid I didn't exactly get brain fog, but I had a splitting headache for several days that also slowed me down quite a bit. I also get regular migraines with varying symptoms, and sometimes try playing Wordtwist if they're not too bad, but my word hunting skills suffer.

Comment

So sorry about those symptoms, Naboka. I'm lucky enough to have avoided brain fog but can tell you about one of my friends who had problems with it. She is in the music class I teach so I regularly see her sharpness (no pun intended) in learning new material. She's a very smart person but had real brain fog problems for a good three months after catching Covid. It was horrifying to see someone who had previously picked up new material very quickly suddenly become really slow and forgetful.

But the good news is - it did go away! She seems just as sharp as ever now. So, hang in there and hopefully you too will get back to 100%.

Comment

I caught COVID once, in August 2022. The acute symptoms were mild: I felt really miserable for only about half a day and then just had a low-grade fever and minor congestion for the next several days. But the the brain fog and post-exertional malaise from it started the following week, and are still bad enough to keep me from working. For the first few months I couldn't think clearly enough to cook a simple meal without a step-by-step recipe in front of me, I was constantly tired, and I was also hyper-sensitive to bright lights and loud sounds. It's getting better, slowly; I now have two or three days of almost normal clarity per week, but still with some ADHD-like symptoms even on my best days. Basically I now only have severe brain fog when I'm tired -- but I get tired easily, and what used to be a normal level of physical or mental activity in a day now wipes me out for the entire next day or two.

Playing this game is easier than most other mental activities, though: for me, short-term memory and executive function have suffered much more than long-term memory. I think my scores suffered a little for a few months, but for me word hunting was not that hard, it was just that I could only play one or two games in a sitting before getting too tired to continue.
                  Last edited by DrPlacebo; 12-01-2023, 11:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DrPlacebo View Post
                    I caught COVID once, in August 2022. The acute symptoms were mild: I felt really miserable for only about half a day and then just had a low-grade fever and minor congestion for the next several days. But the the brain fog and post-exertional malaise from it started the following week, and are still bad enough to keep me from working. For the first few months I couldn't think clearly enough to cook a simple meal without a step-by-step recipe in front of me, I was constantly tired, and I was also hyper-sensitive to bright lights and loud sounds. It's getting better, slowly; I now have two or three days of almost normal clarity per week, but still with some ADHD-like symptoms even on my best days. Basically I now only have severe brain fog when I'm tired -- but I get tired easily, and what used to be a normal level of physical or mental activity in a day now wipes me out for the entire next day or two.

Playing this game is easier than most other mental activities, though: for me, short-term memory and executive function have suffered much more than long-term memory. I think my scores suffered a little for a few months, but for me word hunting was not that hard, it was just that I could only play one or two games in a sitting before getting too tired to continue.
                    I too get migraines & sounds like you're describing my symptoms during an attack. That is exactly it - Bright lights & loud sounds are just too much for me. I've been known to wear my sunglasses inside to help. I think that's why so many hide in the dark when they suffer. And ... the constant tiredness, even right after I wake, yep another symptom of my Vitamin B deficiency. I wonder if some scientist is studying these symptoms to one day call our experiences by a new name?

Comment

Symptoms of COVID, especially long form, are often very similar to some of those of fibromyalgia and/or chronic fatigue syndrome. Extreme fatigue, especially after what is not really very strenuous activity, such as a 5 mile bike ride or a 2 mile walk. Brain fog. Widespread pain and pain on stimuli that should not cause pain such as a gentle hand on your shoulder or a comforting hug, or even certain types of clothes. For some of us, migraines, or extreme sensitivity to loud noises (coffee grinder, radio playing loudly, nearby strong thunder). Loss of ability to focus, poor short term memory, and the inability to recall information that one has known for many years. "Spacing out" during conversations, losing track of plot and story lines in movies and books. I could go on, but why bother.

So, I hope y'all had a wonderful solstice celebration of whatever type you prefer, and that you enjoyed the company of friends and family (biological or chosen!). Have a great New Year celebration, stay safe, and wishing for a good 2024.

Comment

May the sun smile on you all. May fate turn your card and reshuffle the deck. May all winds be fair, your friends live forever, and your loves live longer than that. And may you, in the end, KNOW. There is no more to ask than those things, and I wish them for you.

Comment

Working...
                        X