Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do people use?

iPhone iPad computer? What’s best?

I use a desktop or either of two Linux laptops. Some people use their phone and swipe words on it and score high. I couldn't do that, not ever. I suspect most people use laptops, then desktops, then phones. But I could be wrong.

Comment

I use a desktop myself. I've tried both my phone and a pad/laptop before but just didn't have the same success rate. I swipe on all three (terrible at typing) but I'm at my best using a regular mouse rather than the little, built in mouse or my finger.

Comment

I also use a desktop computer and the mouse, as I can't type very well. If anyone wants a 'real' challenge, try using your mouse and see how it works for you....

Comment

I notice that the last three commentators including myself have a 'join date' of Feb 2019. My join date is actually May 29th, 2009.

Comment

I use a desktop and keyboard. I'm terrible at typing, but I'm even worse with a mouse. I did try swiping with my finger on my phone once while waiting to see the doctor. "How did it go?" you ask. My bp was a little high that day

Originally posted by toadling View Post
            I notice that the last three commentators including myself have a 'join date' of Feb 2019. My join date is actually May 29th, 2009.
            Toadling, Feb 2019 is when everything was moved to a new server. Anyone who joined before that date will show a join date in the forums of Feb 2019.

Comment

I use my IPad. Have a Macbook, but just do not have the typing speed. I have been using my IPad more and more for almost everything. Hate typing/swiping on the phone.

Comment

Old laptop. Time to get a new computer. Thinking about a laptop-tablet combo. Not a fan of IPads or Chromebooks, but much of that is likely due to a lack of familiarity. Thoughts? ideas? those to stay away from, those to strongly consider? Budget is limited . . . not imperative to have the latest & greatest . .

Comment

I use an Imac. Which isn't important. With a mechanical keyboard. Which is very important.

That anyone can type on those tiny keyboards that come with Macs is beyond me. My fingers get claustrophobic and awkward.

Much less swiping on phones and pads.

Got to admire that kind of dexterity.

Like boysmom swiping and scoring over a thousand on 4x4. Mind boggling.

Comment

I'm team swipe. I use an android phone. I can't type very well without looking at the keys, and incidentally I don't understand America's obsession with Apple products.

Comment

Originally posted by crazykate View Post
                      I'm team swipe. I use an android phone. I can't type very well without looking at the keys, and incidentally I don't understand America's obsession with Apple products.
                      i am not American, but love Apple products. After backing up my files I installed Windows 10 (long time ago). I lost EVERYTHING. My hotmail account, my gmail account. Backing up did not work, it was one big tangly mess. I was not a newbie, been computing since 1980 or so. Tried to get in touch with Microsoft, but apparently nobody works there… I got so mad I bought a Macbook. Have been using it ever since and the service of Apple is immaculate. I avoid everything android.

Comment

Originally posted by JedMedGrey View Post
                        Old laptop. Time to get a new computer. Thinking about a laptop-tablet combo. Not a fan of IPads or Chromebooks, but much of that is likely due to a lack of familiarity. Thoughts? ideas? those to stay away from, those to strongly consider? Budget is limited . . . not imperative to have the latest & greatest . .
                        I'd get another laptop, just a newer (used) one and put Linux on it. Or, my grandson builds desktop computers, and apparently (according to him) it's not that hard these days. There's a local computer store near me where the owner does both those things, and I have to think there must be a lot of such places. If you're willing to run Linux instead of Windows, you can get really good prices; Microsoft charges about $130 a copy for Windows now. If you got a used computer and put Linux on it (I like Mint) you could probably get something really inexpensive; Linux doesn't need nearly what Windows does, and will run nicely on what would be a marginal Windows machine. The really BIG deal is using a SSD instead of the mechanical ones -- performance is FAR better.

Comment

bwt1213 Thanks so much for the advice! There are some good shops in the Madison area. I'll have to check with them. I used Linux for a short while in the 90s. I'll have to check it out again!

Comment

Originally posted by JedMedGrey View Post
                            bwt1213 Thanks so much for the advice! There are some good shops in the Madison area. I'll have to check with them. I used Linux for a short while in the 90s. I'll have to check it out again!
                            I thought about your remark for a while before it actually fully penetrated. If you used Linux briefly in the 90s, it's a whole different thing now. Pretty much everything you'd want to use is plug-and-play. It's snappy. You can just use it and don't need a computer science degree. And there is a whole user community on-line to help you out, many of whom know exactly the answer to any question. You're going to be surprised.

Comment

Laptop user here. If I am out and about (say, waiting for a car repair or doctor's appointment), I sometimes play on my phone, but without signing in - I'm awful at swiping and it would completely ruin my scores.

Comment

Working...
                              X